Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quark 6

Quark 6
godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 02:44 PM

ultra-V
Jun 10, 2003, 02:59 PM

And it isn't getting any cheaper. I think they're continuing to pretend InDesign doesn't exist. Oddly, the full-version is cheaper from Apple ($899) than direct from Quark ($944).

But I'll still use Quark. Gotta. Not upgrading immediately, though.

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2003, 03:28 PM

I guess that means our Indesign test team should get cracking. My company isn't going to upgrade unless Quark cuts a deal. We've got 50 seats to fill, and Adobe is slobbering all over us to make a deal, and we're considering it.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 04:54 PM

Kick Ass!!

I guess my former job will have to get cracking re-writing the XTension that comprises thier business.. Oh well screw-em

MikeM

beb
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 09:05 PM

I built forty three four color over two color tri-fold promotional brochures using ID 2. They all look great.

The only hangup was that the printer didn't have the press running on OS X. So I had to buy a $20.00 font. -Oh well.

I like Quark too. I've seen people who can make stuff fly in that program. It's kind of discouraging because they make it look so easy and Quark isn't really an easy app to use.

I also have a zillion Quark files that I need to use on OS X. So I'll buy the upgrade.

I'm still waitin for ID 3 though...

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 04:56 PM

We upgraded our quark for $174.95 per upgrade (from 5). Can't wait 'til it arrives. But explain to me this... Why did Quark incorporate a picture of a swamp on the front of their software package?
What does THAT say about them?

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2003, 09:30 AM

my understanding is that v.6 can save files to versions v.5 and v.6. since none of my clients have upgraded to v.5 and few have plans for v.6 i question the value of upgrading at this time. in fact, some of my clients are going to id2 and leaving quark all together.

Helvetica Neue
Jun 18, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
my understanding is that v.6 can save files to versions v.5 and v.6. since none of my clients have upgraded to v.5 and few have plans for v.6 i question the value of upgrading at this time. in fact, some of my clients are going to id2 and leaving quark all together.
Feature-wise, Quark 6 is not a compelling reason to upgrade (apart from OS X of course) and stil lagging to Indesign 2 in terms of features.

On the contrary, your considerations above are all the more reasons to
a) wait to see how well Quark 6 performs (after all, it has no track record on X, unlike InDesign);
b) wait and compare Quark 6 with InDesign 3 in a couple of months time.
Always on the run...

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2003, 11:34 PM

We upgraded purely for the reason to stop launching classic through OS X. We've moved all apps except for Quark. Too many bugs - switching between Quark 5 and OS X apps, the Quark app mysteriously quitting at any moment, and strange white blocks covering portions of your artwork in Quark and having to refresh the screen continuously. Supposedly there is an extension to fix this, but upon reading it, it's only good for v.4 in OS X and not v.5. If your going to upgrade, now would be the time and bypass 5 altogether.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2003, 08:52 AM

I've been playing around with Quark 6 for a few days and must say that it runs VERY well on my system. I have been using InDesign 2 for around 6 months, but I will admit that I like the "OLD SCHOOL" way that Quark feels...

I'm also like a bunch of designers sitting around with 1000+ Quark documents... No way I'm going to convert them.

I'm checking my printers (9/10 just say "send me the job... we'll figgure it out") but it looks like many of them are waiting for Quark as well.

Most real designers will stick with Quark, but more and more are going Quark -and- InDesign...

Considering Quark has a very strong foothold (with designers) this is a big thing...

I hope InDesign keeps on getting better... but I don't think it's there yet... ID3 should be fun!!!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2003, 08:53 AM

One more quick thing about Quark 6... It's FAST!!! I'm sure it would run just fine on my old G3 tower running OS X...

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 01:24 PM

ID3 will be interesting.

Quark IS fast, something I can't say for that other page layout program.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2003, 12:32 PM

Well, after playing around with Quark 6 for a week now, I'll admit that I'm back on the XPress team. A solid application. I have been flirting around with InDesign, but Quark feels like second nature (the only sad thing is it takes forever to become familiar with Quark)

I would say that 6 is solid, but I can't wait for 6.1 to fix some of the strange little things that happen (it hung the first day, and some of the elements feel a little off) but I'm used to that by now from Quark.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2003, 12:47 PM

Double Post

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Well, after playing around with Quark 6 for a week now, I'll admit that I'm back on the XPress team. A solid application. I have been flirting around with InDesign, but Quark feels like second nature (the only sad thing is it takes forever to become familiar with Quark)

I would say that 6 is solid, but I can't wait for 6.1 to fix some of the strange little things that happen (it hung the first day, and some of the elements feel a little off) but I'm used to that by now from Quark.
Excellent, what I wanted to hear as I am itching to get it, but am still holding back.
Thanks for the input.

dhenry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 03:55 PM

Hi
Curious about the font list in Quark 6. Does it display the fonts by family (similiar to Adobe Font Reunion)?

Also, I understand that the publish and subscribe feature is missing from the new version (when you double click on a graphic in Quark 4 or 5, you can launch the application that created the graphic, make your changes, and Quark automatically update the graphic inside your file.)

Helvetica Neue
Jul 8, 2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by dhenry:
Hi
Curious about the font list in Quark 6. Does it display the fonts by family (similiar to Adobe Font Reunion)?

Also, I understand that the publish and subscribe feature is missing from the new version (when you double click on a graphic in Quark 4 or 5, you can launch the application that created the graphic, make your changes, and Quark automatically update the graphic inside your file.)
Both are true. For the latter, Quark apparently wasn't clever enough to program in the feature that previously relied on classic OS functionality.
( Last edited by Helvetica Neue; Jul 9, 2003 at 06:15 AM. )
Always on the run...

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 04:03 PM

I find ID way too slow for daily use... its just very sluggish even in OS 9, Ive "tried" Quark 6 and was impressed at the speed it ran even in Jaguar (can't wait till panther and font book!)

Still waiting for XPress 6 to get here

anyway, we send everything to the printer in PDF so they don't care if we create in photopainter... lol
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2003, 05:42 PM

I also find ID to be too slow for daily use. I use it though, annd I don't do any file conversion (from QXP to ID). But I am awaiting my 6.0 upgrade and have called Quark repeatedly and told that it would take 20-30 days! I ordered it 3 weeks ago.

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

Yose
Senior User
Jul 13, 2003, 03:54 PM

anyway, we send everything to the printer in PDF so they don't care if we create in photopainter...
They should, PDF isn't perfect if the file isn't created properly... eep. Then throw in the different versions of PDF in use right now.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules