Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mounting iPods/Docks in cars...

Mounting iPods/Docks in cars...
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2004, 08:57 PM

I want pics! I just ordered my belkin car adapter, and I was planning on just plugging the cable into my ipod and lets it sit around, but then i realized i can go right into the dock. So what I'd like to do is mount the iPod dock somewhere. But how? Has anyone done this before? I have a Chevy Blazer, but I'd like to see what other have done, for any car. Post pics please!

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 09:36 PM

I have one great solution for this, but I don't have any webspace. Could someone host a small picture for me? PM me your e-mail and I'll send over the pictures.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by shrink:
I have one great solution for this, but I don't have any webspace. Could someone host a small picture for me? PM me your e-mail and I'll send over the pictures.
www.photobucket.com its free.

i too have thought about this, i dont think super glue will hold the dock on my dash though for some reason.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 11:25 PM

Okay, borrowed a family member's space. If the image doesn't work try the pictures folder in this link.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2004, 11:35 PM

ok, im hosting it now.

you too can have a photobucket account. anyway. what is that holder there? a cell holder? i want something like the tunedock, but my car is too old (94) to have cup holders in anycase, some kind of adjustable cell holder/mmount would be ideal.

which head is that? is that a mini in on the front there?

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 03:11 AM

How is the sound quality when you wire it through the headphone jack?

rhump10405
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 12:26 PM

I bought a mini two-days ago, and I have been researching ways to connect it to my car stereo (2003 ZR-2 Blazer). I have the in-dash 6 disc changer, and I called the dealership to see if my head unit has the rca input you need to connect the ipod directly to the radio. No such luck, it seems most GM factory units don't have the RCA input required. I have seen some adapters mentioned, but none mentioned my make/model. I think the only way to go now is the route of an FM modulator. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 12:51 PM

Yeah they make cables that plug into you rcd changer input and give you an rca input, then you can plug our cd changer into that. I don't have a cd changer so i don't need to worry about that. The cables are supposed to work great. Strange that we have the same blazer though.... hmmmmmm
( Last edited by l008com; Feb 25, 2004 at 02:21 PM. )

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 02:16 PM

Bought my iPod from the Apple Store in buffalo, went over to circuit city that day and had them install a mini-jack flush into my dash. It's connected to the 3rd set of pre-outs on my Sony deck, and i've got the mini-jack cable hooked into the Belkin car charger, and the car charger hooks into the dock connector. Great sound, just as good as the cd player. Lovin' that iPod.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 05:39 PM

i just installed the Ice-Link setup for my ipod.

i can control the ipod from my Steering wheel controls and radio headunit on my Audi Allroad.

It will work with MOST new cars and uses THE BEST mounting system

Check it:

Ice-Link ipod connector
(currently attaches to the iPod's RCA/Remote ports, but will soon connect through the dock port -- http://www.densionusa.com/icelink/

See if it's compatible with your car:
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...tegory_Code=IA

Pro-Clip System
(snaps to multiple places on your dash - so screws, no stick)
http://www.proclipusa.com/frameset.htm
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 11:22 PM

The Ice Link sounds incredible, but 200 dollars? It's going to be difficult deciding whether to upgrade from 20 to 40 GB or getting that.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
ok, im hosting it now.

you too can have a photobucket account. anyway. what is that holder there? a cell holder? i want something like the tunedock, but my car is too old (94) to have cup holders in anycase, some kind of adjustable cell holder/mmount would be ideal.

which head is that? is that a mini in on the front there?
Who makes the face plate.

jdonahue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 09:00 PM

jfischetti

I too just bought an ice link but am having trouble with the install and was hoping you could help. The ice link as two wires, a red and a yellow, that go to the battery and an ignitions circuit. Could you clue me in as to what that means?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules