Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Car Line-in options?

Car Line-in options?
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 01:18 PM

I have been using an iTrip for listening to my iPod in my Celica but am considering adding a line-in jack to my car so I can get better quality. I have an after-marked Alpine CD player, so I can't use a tape adapter.

Is there a way to add a line-in jack and perhaps flip a switch between using my stereo or the iPod to go through my car's speakers? What all do I need to do this?

I tried searching before posting this, but the topics centered around buying an add-on for a factory stereo.

Thanks for your help,

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 01:52 PM

Basically, a stereo system requires three parts: a source, an amplifier, and speakers.

Your Alpine head unit is providing the first two.

If you take the Alpine out of the loop completely, you're gonna have to get an amplifier.

Have you not considered getting an auxiliary audio input for your Alpine?

tooki

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 02:18 PM

It's an Alpine CDM-7834, and I couldn't find anything for it. Would the Belkin charger with line-in provide enough to power the speakers, or would that be too tiny?

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 03:29 PM

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 04:06 PM

You will get far better answers at ipodlounge.com
There are more people there than any other forum who have found a way to hardwire an ipod into a car. I ended up finding the info on how to wire my VW with help from people there. While the icelink may work you are better off having the benefit of the experience of people who have used that as well as the other 3 or 4 other options that are out there.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
It's an Alpine CDM-7834, and I couldn't find anything for it. Would the Belkin charger with line-in provide enough to power the speakers
Not a snowball's chance in hell. You must have an amplifier. If your head unit can be equipped with a line-in, then you can use the head unit's amplifier. If it can't, either get a new head unit, or get an amplifier and a speaker switch.

tooki

intake
Apr 22, 2004, 07:54 PM

If that model has the ability to control a CD changer, then you can use a Blitzsafe CD Changer to AUX adapter. This is an easy way to add AUX input to almost CD-Changer compatible head-unit, whether is it OEM or not.

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 12:46 AM

I am not familiar with that particular unit, but I am in the process of putting an Alpine system in my car for the following reason: integrated iPod control into the head unit!

That's right! At the last CES, they announced the product. It hooks in via their iLink protocol and can display artist/song/album/playlists in the head unit. The problem is that it will not begin shipping until 3rd quarter this year. Til, then, I'm installing the speakers, head unit, and amps, and leaving a sad and empty spot for the actual control unit.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 01:30 AM

One option is an in-line RF modulator. Same principle as an iTrip - you listen through the radio - but it's hard-wired into the radio's antenna input so it's much better quality. Just plug the iPod in. They sell them at Crutchfield and car audio shops for less than $100.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
That's right! At the last CES, they announced the product. It hooks in via their iLink protocol and can display artist/song/album/playlists in the head unit. The problem is that it will not begin shipping until 3rd quarter this year. Til, then, I'm installing the speakers, head unit, and amps, and leaving a sad and empty spot for the actual control unit.
If I wasn't considering buying a new car in the next year, I'd consider that option. It does look slick though.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
I am not familiar with that particular unit, but I am in the process of putting an Alpine system in my car for the following reason: integrated iPod control into the head unit!

Picture please.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by intake:
If that model has the ability to control a CD changer, then you can use a Blitzsafe CD Changer to AUX adapter. This is an easy way to add AUX input to almost CD-Changer compatible head-unit, whether is it OEM or not.

This is the best way... I'm surprised you guys just skipped this.

If your head unit can take a CD changer (for Alpines and Kenwoods as far as I know), then it has a CD changer plug on the back of it. Alpine, Kenwood, and other companies, make a plug that will change this CD changer plug into a simple 1/8" stereo jack for auxiliary capabilities. Simple as that.

I've got a Civic with a Kenwood head unit. I just pulled out the head unit, plugged the cable, and somehow managed to get it down by where a person's feet would be in the passenger seat, and pulled it right up to the center console. So, I put my iPod in my belkin cup holder thingy, and plug in my line right into my headphone jack, and I'm good to go.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
Picture please.
Pciture of what? They arent being sold yet.
The 2004 Ai-net models are the ones that are supposed to work but I have yet to see them plugged into one of these boxes that make them iPod ready. Worse yet they have not said the prices. Unless its sub $400 for the magic box plus HU I wouldn't do it.
Anyway, contact [email protected] - I am not sure if its working yet but it will be once the product is released.

All they have said is that the HU will be able to control the iPod. To what degree is unknown. If i can't see playlists onthe display and other little things like that I think it would be a deal breaker. Just being able to play/forward/rewind isn't too impressive. Plus I am curious to see if Apple makes an iPod with bluetooth. I would rather get a Bluetooth head unit that can see both my iPod and cell phone.

billybob128
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 03:24 PM

may i suggest the Kenwood KDC 7027 if a new head unit is wanted

http://www.kenwood-europe.com/produc...&k3=23&pr=1571

then if u like head over to www.kelkoo.co.uk or a more international one and check for a good price usually between �190-�300

its got AUX in. which i use and i find it excellent for wat i need

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Dimitri
Apr 23, 2004, 05:19 PM

You don't even need AUX in necessarily. If it has a CD changer control, there's usually a cable available that will allow RCA inputs. I bought a $150 Kenwood and paid $15 for the adapter cable. Sounds pretty f'in good to me!

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 06:08 PM

Where's the best place online to buy one of the CD Shuttle adapter cables?

fason
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 07:56 PM

You should all check out this site...

RCA Input

It has both Factory Audio Head unit and After Market Audio head unit connector modules... They offer a L and R RCA input for your iPod...

A tad $$$ but a direct connection into the CD Changer audio in ports...

Zorak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 10:33 PM

Here is a relatively inexpensive device for a RF-modulation connect to the head unit:

Accele Electronics RF Modulator (NexTag Price Search)

Looks cool, may look into this for my Toyota.

B.I.L
Apr 24, 2004, 01:29 AM

My Alpine dealer explained the CD player nomenclature to me: a CDA-XXXX indicates an Ai-Net (CD changer ready) unit, a CDM-XXXX has no Ai-Net changer interface and thus no option for an aux-in.

I use the Ai-Net-to-RCA-in adapter with my Alpine CDA-7894. It works really well. My only real gripe is that you have be careful of where you set the volume of the iPod to get a nice signal to the head unit. I set it almost to max: nice clean signal, but before distortion kicks in.

I will be upgrading to the iPod interface when it becomes available. I had toyed with the idea of building a system with only an iPod feeeding directly into some amps, but the Alpine "iPod Ready" system seems like it ought to be the nicest way to do it once it comes out.
( Last edited by B.I.L; Apr 24, 2004 at 01:34 AM. )

PMG4:533GHZx2/1GB/440GB/10.4
PB12:1GHZ/768MB/40GB/10.4

sibellc
Apr 24, 2004, 05:56 PM

Take a look at this product Cd-Changer interface

It offers head-unit control of the ipod through the CD-changer interface of many brands of equipment.

And AI-net isn't the only Alpine CD-changer interface. I'm pretty sure the older version is called MBUS. Ai-net isn't just for CD-changers, it allows integration with the XM satellite tuner, MP3 HD module, etc...

CBS

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by sibellc:

And AI-net isn't the only Alpine CD-changer interface. I'm pretty sure the older version is called MBUS. Ai-net isn't just for CD-changers, it allows integration with the XM satellite tuner, MP3 HD module, etc...
No, its not but the new box they are going to put out to allow iPod control will require that the HU can do AI-net

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 05:26 PM

Just added a Blitzsafe CD Changer to AUX adapter to hook my iPod up to the factory stereo in my Acura MDX. Much nicer sound than the cassette adapter I had been using. Looks a lot better to now that I don't have wires hanging out of the front of my stereo any more.

OAW

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 09:39 PM

What's frustrating to me is I can't finding a listing for my head unit anywhere in terms of adapters that will work. I have a Sanyo FXCD1100 in my PT Cruiser that has a hook up for a CD changer, but on all the sites I've studied, and on Sanyo's own site, there's never a listing for an adapter.

Am I just out of luck, or is there something I should be looking into?

Thanks for any help.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 10:59 PM

I've since updated it with right angle plugs on the 1/8" mini stereo cable to hide the wires a little better:

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 05:28 PM

Bumped in hopes of getting some help.

Thanks.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 08:45 PM

Is this your headunit? If so, I think you're outta luck, but give Crutchfield a call. They're very knowledgeable and have great customer service. Good luck.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 10:39 PM

That would be it. Yeah, I thought I need to call them.

thanks.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Where's the best place online to buy one of the CD Shuttle adapter cables?
I should like this answered too: all I want is a cable that allows:

CD changer port -> iPod

I'm not bothered about controlling the iPod through the car stereo controls.

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 09:33 PM

this is what im waiting for my iPod in-car setup
Alpine iPod Interface, KCA-420i

you'll need to have an Alpine HU that have Ai-Net function.

"Plugging in keeps you in control. You can quickly search and listen to your iPod tracks directly from your head unit, and even use a remote control. The power to control key playback functions is at your fingertips."

available late september.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Forum Links
Forum Rules