Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Its CA Advertising Annual Time Again

Its CA Advertising Annual Time Again
godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 05:46 PM

So, time for the rundowns of everyones favorites? I admittedly haven't looked through it too hard yet, its been sitting on my desk since monday, but I'll definately check it out before I leave the office today. Right out the gate, I think the iPod campaign is really overrated, or is it just me?

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 08:48 PM

Page 10, mini cooper stuff is still good, but I'm getting tired of seeing it everywhere.

Page 11, the aquent ad. I love the concept, not sure how I feel about the image/type though.

Page 14-15, Nike running. Awesome.

Page 19 - napster. I laughed.

Page 36: Ngage, very nice execution.

Page 38 Clintons/Time Magazine. Brilliant.

Page 43, diet coke, similar to the Ngage piece, creative use of the medium.

That's all for now. More tomorrow.

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 11:26 AM

don't have much time but will make a couple comments.

the mini stuff isn't as innovative as years gone past.

the time ad is nice. but then that's one of the best campaigns ever produced.

again this year india prospered with a wave of fake ads. nice job fooling the judges. now can you sell real work?

ipod ads -- yawn.

the citi bank work is brilliant. nice idea, strong execution.

must agree about the nike running camp. beautiful work.

timberking on 52-53 is fantastic. having worked on many a b2b camp i applaud this work. smart, creative and produced with class.

the scrabble ads are getting old.

miller high life work, as always, is dynamite.

overall i think the annual is weak this year. lots of rehashed ideas.

PixelPete17
Mar 6, 2005, 07:33 PM

What is the CA Advertising Annual? How can I see it?

PixelPete

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 01:14 AM

What is the CA Advertising Annual?

Communication Arts Advertising Annual ( http://www.commarts.com )

How can I see it?

Go to the url above and / or buy it at your local bookstore.

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 03:29 PM

this forum cracks me up. some peeps here will debate typographic choices until their eyes bleed but then they don't have the desire to discuss the ca ad and design annuals.

fact is that if you don't know what's going on in the world of design and advertising you're going to be out of step with the times.

btw, ca is considered the premier international pub on advertising and design. sure, the one show, print, archive, art directors clud, dnad, etc. have clout but ca is the grand master.

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 09:52 AM

not one student is interested in discussing the annual?

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 10:16 AM

yeah I'm always surprised at that too. I'm also really kind of puzzled by the designers who refuse to read things like adweek and adage to keep up with the industry goings on... go figure. I'm going to try and do another run down later tonight, I'm too swamped this week.

th3ph17
Mar 10, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
yeah I'm always surprised at that too. I'm also really kind of puzzled by the designers who refuse to read things like adweek and adage to keep up with the industry goings on... go figure. I'm going to try and do another run down later tonight, I'm too swamped this week.
i read all of the design/photoshop mags that come through my office...but mainly they are all technical reads--have to make time to read CA and others...weekends usually. Looking forward to it.

[I did get to flip through HOW last weekend though...was cool to see Eduardo Recife from misprintedtype.com featured.]

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 12:45 PM

**** a tech manual. CA/HOW/Ad Age/Ad Week are more important.

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 03:12 PM

p 81 - dick gerdes recruiting : this one is funny because of the trusims but anyone who's worked in minneapolis, or tried to work in minneapolis, for the last fifteen years knows that dick is out of touch. that makes it funny on a different level.

p 70 � u.s. army : nice idea but i liked it more when it was done for nike basketball. in other words, it's been done. how this made the book is beyond me.

p 65 � target : how many times has this been done? can we get some new ideas in the book forchristsake? ? ?

p 73 � mini : again, seen it. i believe it was fallon that did the exact same thing for oil back in the late 80s or early 90s.

p 45 � retro modern : this is a smart campaign but, imho, there are stronger executions. regardless i love this ad.

p 29 � land rover : damn, i LOVE this ad. it sums up the benefit without showing the product and it makes you picture the product in use in your mind. BRILLIANT.

p 33 � altoids : i will pay someone to make the altoids ads go away forever.

p 65 � jack daniels : smart line.

p 25 � p & g : if you can get p & g to buy a smart campaign like this you're a rock star.

p 49 � economist : this is one long running campaign that never gets old, just smarter with time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules