Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Clear Channel's Cogent Argument Against Satellite Radio

Clear Channel's Cogent Argument Against Satellite Radio
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 08:59 AM

In testimony before Congress yesterday, Clear Channel's government affairs director stated one of her company's principle arguments against satellite radio in its unregulated form is that it will attract edgier programming away from broadcast media, thus reducing public "access" to conventional radio. She claimed this would be to the detriment of the public and contrary to good public policy. Realize this woman unabashedly begged the government to enact new, unprecedented levels of regulation in order to shield her industry from what she concedes will be formidable competition. Whichever side of the broadcast indecency argument you espouse, I think we can agree only the staunchest proponents of censorship would concur with Clear Channel here.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2005, 09:13 AM

How is it any different than cable vs. broadcast TV?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 09:26 AM

Great that you asked, Dakar - to this executive there is very little difference: She named cable TV along with satellite radio as a threat to broadcast radio.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
In testimony before Congress yesterday, Clear Channel's government affairs director stated one of her company's principle arguments against satellite radio in its unregulated form is that it will attract edgier programming away from broadcast media, thus reducing public "access" to conventional radio. She claimed this would be to the detriment of the public and contrary to good public policy. Realize this woman unabashedly begged the government to enact new, unprecedented levels of regulation in order to shield her industry from what she concedes will be formidable competition. Whichever side of the broadcast indecency argument you espouse, I think we can agree only the staunchest proponents of censorship would concur with Clear Channel here.
Seems like classic rent-seeking behavior to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_seeking

Chris

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 10:35 AM

I love Econ but was unaware of the term, so thank you for the post.

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2005, 10:37 AM

Did she happen to mention that in some markets in this country Clear Channel has an almost total monopoly on broadcast radio? Boo friggin' hoo.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by constrictor
Did she happen to mention that in some markets in this country Clear Channel has an almost total monopoly on broadcast radio? Boo friggin' hoo.

She's just upset that CC's monopoly is being threatened. Interesting how the "free market" works, isn't it?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 04:01 PM

Even more interesting that they found someone to say that stuff with a straight face.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Even more interesting that they found someone to say that stuff with a straight face.
Not really. We elect people with those abilities every year.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005, 06:29 PM

As far as I'm concerned, anything that makes Clear Channel sweat is a Good Thing™. Protecting investors in monopolistic corporations is a very low priority for me. It falls below counselling for broken hearted dolphins separated by the tragic events of Hurricane Katrina...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 06:33 PM

"Please make these people's job harder. We thought being a monopoly would be enough, but apparently providing content people want to hear works even better."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 09:24 AM

I can't live without XM Comedy and squizz, Clear Channel can suck my balls.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 08:38 PM

I just found out yesterday the new chairman of the FCC echoed Clear Channel's plea for regulatory control over cable and satellite. The Internet cannot be far behind, and that's when we geeks will revolt!

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2005, 08:55 PM

Whichever side of the broadcast indecency argument you espouse, I think we can agree only the staunchest proponents of censorship would concur with Clear Channel here.
I think her (company's) argument is self-serving. In fact, I'm all for the complete dismantling of all pseudo-monopolies of government restricted bandwidth. The future is packet-based data transmission, which happens to be tougher to censor. If traditional radio doesn't speed up its transition to digital, then its bandwidth should be auctioned off to cellular and WiMax. The same goes for the television networks.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 07:04 PM

I'm waiting for the federal government to smack clear channel back into the abyss where they were spawned. Ok, if you own several radio stations, please play something interesting - no, the same 25 random, terrible pop tracks 24/7 do not count.

So, are there grounds for a federal antitrust suit against Clear Channel?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 01:24 AM

IMHO, we are all suckers... basically we are stumbling over ourselves to hand over our airwaves to large corporations... Clearchanel, XM, etc. etc. they all seem rather similar to me.

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 02:06 PM

we may have finally found something we all agree on

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 02:19 PM

No company/conglomerate should be allowed to own more than ONE station in any market, and a total of 3. 5 stations of the same format (classic rock, hip-hop, talk, etc) in a market is too much. In DC a small station defied the odds for decades by playing progressive (real progressive, DJ's programmed their own shows) and advertising the local clubs and who was playing at those clubs, and inviting them up to chat with the DJ after the gig's. amazing that a 2300 watt FM station could get 14 percent of the young adult audience. WHFS at 102.3 FM. They are still missed by those who used to listen. They played stuff nobody else in town did. Music was always 4-6 months ahead of the corporate noisemakers.

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2005, 05:59 PM

eh.... boo hoo...

and no.. GOVERNMENT regulation of what should be aired/owned is not the answer.

The same could have been said for the horse & buggy manufactorers when the automobile came along....

"free" radio has killed themselves off by continually adding the amount of time they sell per hour, I think it is less than 30 minutes of real programming per hour now.

same for the old line networks, they keep adding commercials, reducing the amount of programming per hour where it is gotten to the point where it is quite rediculous to even try to follow a drama as the commercial interuptions are more and more...

they are killing themselves off and they only have themselves to blame.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 07:38 PM

I just found out yesterday the new chairman of the FCC echoed Clear Channel's plea for regulatory control over cable and satellite. The Internet cannot be far behind, and that's when we geeks will revolt!
Regulating pay Radio, TV, internet (which is paid for) to me seems like the US would be heading towards civil unrest. The US would be embracing communist ideals if these regulations are put on these pay services. Books would also not be immune to this regulation thus stomping out the rights of the Press and the Bill of rights. Im sure even W. doesn't want to be the President in the White House at the time regulations of this type are put into effect.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

chizle97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 01:40 PM

pirate radio anyone?
Word

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 06:10 PM

“its unregulated form is that it will attract edgier programming away from broadcast media, thus reducing public "access" to conventional radio.”

LOL!
Too funny! As if only ‘edgy’ stuff on satellite radio is all anyone listens to, and therefore poor, poor, pitiful megagiant conglomerate Clear Channel won’t have its broadcast monopoly anymore. Puh-lease.

Heaven forbid they’ll actually have to compete for listeners based on *gasp* QUALITY, and actual competitive bidding for the talent that’s out there.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 07:33 PM

Clear Channel's government affairs director...
I'll bet she gives great head.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by constrictor
Yep, screw ClearChannel and their ~1200 radio stations of mainstream garbage.
Originally Posted by chizle97
pirate radio anyone?
I'm down. Corporate America needs to back off.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 07:56 PM

CC just changed another station here in the SF Bay area from Rock music to Mexican music.
First it was 92.3 and now they just did 104.9

Forum Links
Forum Rules