Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Root user?

Root user?
trkkazulu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 12:51 PM

High,

How do i enable or create a 'root' user under Panther? 'su' and 'sudo' don't work because my admin password fails leading me to belive that 'admin' is not the same as 'root'.

Thanks,

JPW

trkkazulu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 02:49 PM

No problem. I found Net Info Manager.

JPW

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by trkkazulu
High,

How do i enable or create a 'root' user under Panther? 'su' and 'sudo' don't work because my admin password fails leading me to belive that 'admin' is not the same as 'root'.
Allow me to demystify "admin" for you. Being an "admin" on a Mac OS X system merely means that your user is a member of the "admin" group. You can see this by opening the Terminal.app located in the Utlities folder and typing id. You should see that your user is a member of various groups, including "admin."

The su and sudo utilities are very similar in that they allow you to run commands as another user, but there is one main difference. You can think of su as being "switch user" and sudo as "switch user do" (do something as another user).

When you use su you are prompted for a password, this is the password of the user you are switching to. Thus, when you type "su" on a default Mac OS X install, it is asking for root's password, which there is none. You can surely set a root password, but this is not necessary, this is where sudo comes in. When you type "sudo," you are prompted for YOUR password. This allows you to run commands as root without knowing root's password. So, being an "admin" merely allows you access to the "sudo" mechanism (controlled in normal *nix systems through /etc/sudoers).

Make sense?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2006, 04:22 PM

If your (admin user's) password does not work with sudo (note: it's not supposed to work with su), then there is a problem with your setup which should be fixed. Enabling the root account (by assigning a password in NetInfo Manager) won't solve that problem.

n1mie
Jan 17, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
If your (admin user's) password does not work with sudo (note: it's not supposed to work with su), then there is a problem with your setup which should be fixed. Enabling the root account (by assigning a password in NetInfo Manager) won't solve that problem.
So, how would one go about fixing the problem (sudo not working you your admin password)?

Thanks,
--Chip

Forum Links
Forum Rules