Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Anti-Wal-Mart poll a total fraud...

Anti-Wal-Mart poll a total fraud...
IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2005, 03:43 PM

more evidence of objective (not) reporting by the left wing media:

pretty disgusting on the part of the anti-Walmart campaign, of course this is no surprise:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed...2510-1537r.htm

When the national press devoured a new union-sponsored poll released last week by uber-pollster John Zogby claiming that a majority of Americans believe that "Wal-Mart is bad for America," not reported were serious ethical issues which call into question the integrity of the much-ballyhooed survey.

Perhaps because Mr. Zogby has such a sterling reputation -- which has enabled him to snare contracts with several top media outlets, including Reuters, NBC, and the Wall Street Journal -- his findings were reported largely unchallenged.

But what no journalist would have known without digging is that Mr. Zogby cannot be considered an objective third-party when it comes to Wal-Mart. Without the presumption that the pollster was working solely to gauge scientifically the attitudes of the public, the poll loses much of its luster and becomes just another cog in Big Labor's coordinated campaign against the retailer.

In recent years, Mr. Zogby has pocketed roughly $90,000 to serve as an expert witness for individuals suing Wal-Mart, according to testimony he gave in a deposition last year in an Arizona case. Nowhere is Mr. Zogby's prior work on behalf of plaintiffs mentioned in the press release announcing the poll results.

During a 45-minute phone interview for this column, Mr. Zogby willingly acknowledged when asked about his work on behalf of the various plaintiffs. He repeatedly requested that the column reflect his honesty, which shows that he understands the relevance of his past work.

Which raises the question: If he implicitly concedes that his testifying for people suing Wal-Mart is relevant, then why wasn't that disclosure in the announcement of the poll results?

Though Mr. Zogby insisted that being paid tens of thousands by people suing the retailer did not compromise his objectivity, he was careful to note that the press release announcing the poll results was drafted by the client, Big Labor-backed WakeUpWalMart.com. But when reached the following morning, Mr. Zogby conceded that his staff "heavily edited" the release and even posted it on the group's Web site and put the release out over its wire.

As any pollster can attest, trust is the key issue, as polling -- no matter how transparent or scientific it purports to be -- hinges on the credibility of the wizard behind the curtain. Pollsters are masters of subtle manipulation, and small changes in wording can -- and often do -- yield substantially different results. Or questions can be asked in such a way that produce ambiguous results that can be interpreted in many different fashions.

Precisely because trust is so important, WakeUpWalMart.com hired Mr. Zogby to give its poll bashing Wal-Mart extra panache and an air of instant credibility. In a phone interview, WakeUpWalMart.com spokesman Chris Kofinis adamantly maintained that the poll was beyond reproach because Mr. Zogby is "an independent." Which, not coincidentally, is exactly how the pollster described himself -- again and again and again.

But how "independent" is it to, as Mr. Kofinis described it, draft poll questions "in consultation with" WakeUpWalMart.com, even though the reason Zogby polls are held in higher esteem is because they perceived to be more objective, more "independent?" And by Mr. Zogby's own admission, WakeUpWalMart.com wrote the press release that he put his company's name on and subsequently sent out. Mr. Kofinis knew this wouldn't look good, and he didn't fess up that his group wrote the Zogby press release until he was told that Mr. Zogby admitted it.

The Wal-Mart poll is not the first time Mr. Zogby has taken money from one party and conducted polling where his objectivity ostensibly would be compromised. According to a November 2000 Village Voice article, the pollster collected "$54,000 in payments from the 1997 Giuliani campaign after polling the race for the [New York] Post, and picking up another $5000 this year from the State Republican Committee while polling the Senate race."

Of course it's entirely possible that Mr. Zogby could take significant cash from people suing Wal-Mart and then turn around and conduct an objective poll. There's no reason to believe that was the case, however, based on anything other than faith. And such faith is diminished when the potential bias is conveniently clipped from the press release.

Without the Zogby magic dust sprinkled on the poll, most would see it as yet another grenade lobbed at Wal-Mart by the unions, who have, thus far, failed to push the retailer's million-plus employees into their ranks. The tantalizing prospect of landing billions in new compulsory dues has sprung Big Labor into action, crafting a campaign to give Wal-Mart a black eye and, they hope, forcing the retailer into submission.

Near the end of phone interview, Mr. Kofinis became quite agitated and yelled, "You can't say that the poll isn't objective!" But given the facts, it would seem better to ask: How can anyone say it is?

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 04:25 PM

What are you...a Wal-Mart greeter?

Happy Holiday Fest.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by IceBreaker
Of course it's entirely possible that Mr. Zogby could take significant cash from people suing Wal-Mart and then turn around and conduct an objective poll. There's no reason to believe that was the case, however, based on anything other than faith. And such faith is diminished when the potential bias is conveniently clipped from the press release.
the same applies to cheney vis-a-vis haliburton, cunningham and his defense contractors, and any other crooked politician. the main difference is that these guys actually can make a difference, actually do something, meaningful or otherwise.

and i have very little faith in politicians.

go after the big ducks!
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 07:48 PM

Haliburton? wtf?

Geez. You leftwing Bush-bashers have no limit.

But you do have 3 more years to whine about it.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 02:26 AM

Hey, it's only fair, since right wingers whined the eight years before Bush took office. (Personally, I prefer it when different parties control the White House and Congress; that way no party can take to country too fair from the center.)
Agent69

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 02:44 AM

Halliburton and Wal-Mart are the best.

As a Halliburton stock-holder, one can vote by proxie to invade oil-rich nations and seize their resources for profit, then profits can be stretched because Wal-Mart sells everything one needs far cheaper than anyone else. With those riches and savings, one is now able to afford a PowerMac G5 Quad AND a huge-ass cinema display, and that makes Steve Jobs happy. A happy Steve Jobs makes the world a better place. Plus, with the new computer outfit, one can start a conservative blog and talking points mailing list to counterbalance and attack the liberal, mainstream media.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 04:25 AM

The left-wing media has just gone off its tracks. The right-wing media, on the other hand, has a sterling recent record. All those Fox news scoops on Iraqi WMD and links to Al Qaeda make me proud to be a Republican!

saab95
Senior User
Dec 14, 2005, 07:02 PM

Wal-Mart does have a few defenders

I'm inclined to agree with this article.

FYI, I do shop at Wal-Mart for essentials and non-food items because that's the type of Wal-Mart we have in my town. Their service, thus far, has been quite good, their checkout lines move quickly, and their prices generally are fiecely competitive- unlike the crap that the Wake up Wal-Mart crowd would like you to believe on their website.
Hello from the State of Independence

By the way, I defend capitalists, not gangsters ;)

greenamp
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 07:22 PM

The article proves nothing in the way of the poll results being false. Just because Zogby was hired by groups poised against Wal-Mart is in its self not valid proof that his polling results were not true.

Fallacy: Circumstantial Ad Hominem

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
The article proves nothing in the way of the poll results being false. Just because Zogby was hired by groups poised against Wal-Mart is in its self not valid proof that his polling results were not true.

kinda like...

1. the media reports a story/facts.
2. somebody claims the media is liberal.
3. none of the facts are true.

the few times i was at a walmart, the place was a zoo and dirty. where are these children's parents?
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tie
The left-wing media has just gone off its tracks. The right-wing media, on the other hand, has a sterling recent record. All those Fox news scoops on Iraqi WMD and links to Al Qaeda make me proud to be a Republican!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

IceBreaker  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by saab95
Wal-Mart does have a few defenders

I'm inclined to agree with this article.

FYI, I do shop at Wal-Mart for essentials and non-food items because that's the type of Wal-Mart we have in my town. Their service, thus far, has been quite good, their checkout lines move quickly, and their prices generally are fiecely competitive- unlike the crap that the Wake up Wal-Mart crowd would like you to believe on their website.
exactly, if they were 1/100th as bad as the unions portray them as they would not be in business.

Actually I think its a great thing for libs to waste their money at the 20th century unionized chain stores of the past.... less money for the libs to spend for Hillary.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 07:59 AM

Wal-Mart sux.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Dec 27, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp

That was going to be my point as well. Once again it's a right wing kill the messenger tactic.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 03:02 PM

Regardless of the fraudulent poll, Walmart is a horrible company that makes its money at the expense of taxpayers, inhumane labor practices all over the world, and the ignorance of its shoppers. Not to mention, if they provided affordable health care and stopped encouraging their associates to use government subsidized social programs, their profitability would decrease to almost nothing.

Walmart's one corporation this world can do without.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 03:52 PM

Boo hoo.

When other stores provide the low price and selection of everything that Wal-Mart does, I'll never have a need to go there. Until then, more power to them.

Yup, I'm a capitalist scumbag pig.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Boo hoo.

When other stores provide the low price and selection of everything that Wal-Mart does, I'll never have a need to go there. Until then, more power to them.

Yup, I'm a capitalist scumbag pig.
At least you're honest; we can't say that much about Walmart executives.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules