Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Good News and Bad News (Suitcase10)

Good News and Bad News (Suitcase10)
godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 07:04 PM

The good news is that we finally have auto activation and a font management solution for X and classic all wraped up into one.
Good news:
See above

2) The preview 'waterfall' pane is pretty nice for comparisons... very nice actually.

3) making font sets is easy and nice.

Now, the bad news.

1) Goddamn this bad-chicken chokes on huge font folders. If you have more than like, 50 fonts, importing your font libraries will take all fuxing afternoon. Suitcase 'unexpectedly quit' anytime i'd drag a folder containing 50 or more fonts (estimate), or a group of folders with fonts totalling more than 50 (estimate).

2) This aint ATM Deluxe. There is no way for Suitcase (that i can find) to go through your library and delete duplicates. If someone can tell me how I'd love you forever.

3)If you create sets, your font menu doesn't become hierchical according to sets

4) no WYSIWYG font menus for X. (this is slow, but occasionally it has its high points.

There are probably more, but this is all i've gotten so far.

Nick

otis52
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2001, 04:25 AM

not to talk s@#t, but I think suitcase sucks the fat one. i really loved this program before used ATM and was like ATM what? but yo i had nothing but probs with this program (suitcase 9) . ATM has been the best font program i've ever used. I have a little over 650 fonts and ATM is the shiznit for managing those fonts. it could use better way of veiwing your fonts but beggers can't be choosers.
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2001, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
<STRONG>
1) Goddamn this bad-chicken chokes on huge font folders. If you have more than like, 50 fonts, importing your font libraries will take all fuxing afternoon. Suitcase 'unexpectedly quit' anytime i'd drag a folder containing 50 or more fonts (estimate), or a group of folders with fonts totalling more than 50 (estimate).

Nick</STRONG>
Huh. I grabbed the download, and the frst thing I did was drag a folder with 225 fonts into the Sets pane. Took about 10 seconds. So, I grabbed B-Z folders (about 3000 fonts) and dragged them all at once, since the A folder worked fine. I went away, but when i came back about 5 minutes later, it was done. How much memory you got?

Fonts are available to Classic and OS X apps, and I'm pretty happy on my end.

Bad: Old Suitcase 10 won't work in Classic after the upgrade-- Not sure about either one booted into OS 9.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2001, 06:40 PM

Weird, I have a gig... Its been running fine since my last restart, mabye something was a little wonky. I need to give it some time, i know, its been working fine, since then, but...sigh...i miss my atm.

Nick

ford prefect
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2001, 01:43 AM

Luckily I'm cursed to mainly code on my ibook. I only have the default 20 fonts (or however many it is)

My dream is to own the entire adobe type library. Where can I get an extra 9000 bones? Oh, they had a sale on it for like 5000. I should have gone out and bought 2.

Being a poor student sucks.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Nov 19, 2001, 03:19 AM

I'm just curious how everyone is managing fonts under OSX. It seems there should be some means of pruning out un-wanted system fonts for using "preferred" fonts. Is anyone facing issues with needing a specific font (say Adobe Helvetica) and having the systems version of Helvetica getting in the way?

I'm wondering if the new font management tools (Like Suitcase 10 for example) can deal with those issues.

Mike

appleguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2001, 07:38 PM

Suitecase 10(OS X) has the option to let it override sytem fonts.

Suitecase for OS X will also let you load native PC fonts files, although I have had some not load, and so far I have only been able to use these font in OS X native apps.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 11:29 AM

Uhhhh dood your setup is fuxored... I'm on an iBook 500 with 384MB of RAM and adding folders of up to 1000 fonts takes like a MINUTE at max!

Old Suitcase 10 won't work in Classic after the upgrade
Works fine for me... the Suitcase.app opens in both OS X and OS 9.

Mac Guru

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 02:49 PM

Actually I realized that I had quite a few fonts that were corrupted. I reinstalled em off the CD's and Suitcase works like a charm. My apologies go out to the Suitcase crew on my overzealous critical review of a fine product.

Nick
Who STILL misses ATM...

buchrob
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2001, 08:37 PM

It's throwing up the challenges (valid or not) that make everyone think twice or more and that eventually leads to a better solution for everyone.

Remember: It's the ones who don't give a damn that don't bother posting...

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2001, 11:27 PM

So this brings me to a stupid question... We can use or old fonts in Mac OS X??? I never got an answer on this before...

I had huge problems with Suitcase 9 in Mac OS 9. Half of my font library didn't work no more (they we all corrupted???-Something about fonts created before 1992 didn't work with it). I wen't and got Suitcase 8. All my problems are solved!

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 04:13 AM

YES YOU CAN USE YOUR OLD FONTS IN X.

I had a lot of font corruption errors through suitcase that I didn't have with ATM. Go figure. I reinstalled the troublesome sets from the CD's and 99% of em work now... but not all. weird.

nick

fish_patti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
The good news is that we finally have auto activation and a font management solution for X and classic all wraped up into one.
Good news:
See above

2) The preview 'waterfall' pane is pretty nice for comparisons... very nice actually.

3) making font sets is easy and nice.

Now, the bad news.

2) This aint ATM Deluxe. There is no way for Suitcase (that i can find) to go through your library and delete duplicates. If someone can tell me how I'd love you forever.

3)If you create sets, your font menu doesn't become hierchical according to sets

4) no WYSIWYG font menus for X. (this is slow, but occasionally it has its high points.

There are probably more, but this is all i've gotten so far.

Nick
Use Font Doctor that comes on the Disk with Suitcase 10. This will get rid of duplicate fonts and drop them into a folder it creates so you can view what it pulled out of your folders. Give that a try.

andi*pandi
Sep 25, 2003, 03:29 PM

since this is two years old, I think he might have figured out something by now.

bmmp
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 08:33 PM

I have problems with both ATM and Suitcase. I like Extensis's auto activation, but the Dup font dialogue is pissing. ATM is nice, but can take Forever to load if your resources are low.

And to answer Nick's question:

If you view your Sets Pane in Suitcase and then Click on the Arrow near the top of the Sets Pane you can view All Fonts.

This views all Fonts, both system and those loaded in all your folders.
Easy to delete dups this way.

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:13 AM

I'm using FontAgent Pro and it works for me so far. The only thing is that takes a little when importing new fonts. But everything else works flawless. I had a lot of headaches with Suitcase and Quark (and a mean A LOT OF HEADACHES) in classic mode. Since I switched to FontAgent Pro,the autoactivation works perfect. Now that I have Quark 6 it is even better.
There is no spoon

Forum Links
Forum Rules