Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Technological Advances: Is it us or From Reverse Engineering Alien Technology?

Technological Advances: Is it us or From Reverse Engineering Alien Technology? (Page 2)
badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
Hint:
Meat is usually pre-cut (unless you have the whole animal on your plate)!

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 06:37 AM

I think tie-wraps also belong to the top10 20th century inventions

{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 06:41 AM

I heard humans from the future crashed at Roswell. One of them performed certain actions that made him his own grandfather.
haha, I remember an episode of mr wiggles in which a guy is being visited by himself from the future. Future me then tries to convince him to shoot himself because he has nothing to live for. In a later episode future-me performs oral on him. It's so far fetched crazy and hilarious
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Hint:
Meat is usually pre-cut (unless you have the whole animal on your plate)!
I didn't say meat, though, I said steak.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:30 AM

I didn't say meat, though, I said steak.
And steak grows on trees or what?
Btw, steak is meat (at least where I live)!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:33 AM

And steak grows on trees or what?
Btw, steak is meat (at least where I live)!
Steak is meat, but meat isn't always a steak. Meat is pre-cut, but when you get served a steak, it usually is not.

The entire point is no screwball can eat a strip steak with chopsticks (or more importantly, without a knife).

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:39 AM

Meat is pre-cut, but when you get served a steak, it usually is not.
Steak is not pre-cut???

You crazy Americans - do you really get an entire cattle on your plate when you order steak?
I'm glad that where I live we can order different sizes already pre-cut from the animal!
I think we must have that idea from some alien!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:41 AM

Steak is not pre-cut???
The entire point is no screwball can eat a strip steak with chopsticks (or more importantly, without a knife).

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:53 AM

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Knives and stabbing devices are instruments of war, not of dinner.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 09:08 AM

...in chopstick Asia (where there is no strip steak, not to forget)!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 09:12 AM

He's in Germany, so I doubt he was being continent specific.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 09:16 AM

You win (even though we don't eat with chopsticks in Germany and Analogika was talking about chopstick countries)!

over and out

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 09:17 AM

I'm pretty sure he was giving a blanket statement.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 09:21 AM

I'm sure nobody brings forks to a gun-fight.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 12:47 PM

Yeah, but a fork is a handy back up in a knife fight. Especially with a cow.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 01:39 PM

He's in Germany, so I doubt he was being continent specific.
I have absolutely lost track of whatever it might be that you were trying to say, but does it count that I spent the first half of my life in Asia?

And btw, I'd like to see you eat corn-on-the-cob with knife and fork. At a gunfight.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 01:39 PM

I always electrocute my steak with a cattle prod before each bite. Just to make sure.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 2, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
haha, I remember an episode of mr wiggles in which a guy is being visited by himself from the future. Future me then tries to convince him to shoot himself because he has nothing to live for. In a later episode future-me performs oral on him. It's so far fetched crazy and hilarious
Okay, now this thread is worth it. That Mr. Wiggles comic is ****ing hilarious.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 01:45 PM

I have absolutely lost track of whatever it might be that you were trying to say, but does it count that I spent the first half of my life in Asia?
I think basic gist was you said the knife had no place at a dinner table and I alluded to steak being a perfectly valid use for it. I forgot that you lived in Asia.

And btw, I'd like to see you eat corn-on-the-cob with knife and fork. At a gunfight.
I suddenly wish I were Dr. Octopus.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 2, 2007, 02:11 PM

Back on track...

I think Art Bell is a bit dogmatic and simple, but that doesn't mean one should discount what Col. Corso is saying. Corso states that the silicon chip, fiber optics, night vision... all this stuff was a result of the Roswell alien crash. Well, maybe it was. But I think the keyword that he doesn't use is DERIVE. This is essentially in reply to skeptics who argue that the silicon chip, night vision, fiber optics, all those things aren't really something we would think a civilization perhaps millions of years ahead of us from afar would be using. That may be right, but that does not mean we are not using the crashed alien ship, etc., to get ideas from, which gives rise to the technology we see.

The point. It may be better to say we are using alien technology as a hub of technological ideas, but we cannot replicate the technology, nor do we understand most of it in any great detail, like, for instance, how their accelerated anti-matter generator works.

Of course, it sounds like I believe it happened. I don't know, I am on the fence either way. I give credit to humanity for invention, and don't think we are using alien technology to fuel our evolution for the most part. There have been so many innovations over the past 10,000 years it is hard to attribute that to reverse engineering alien technology. Some examples, and not just tangible ones: Aristotle and his research (i.e. invention of the taxonomy for Biology); the atomic theory coined back in ~400 BC; Euclid's work in geometry; fast forwarding, the advances in Physiology in the 17th and 18th Century; the internal combustion engine and subsequent cars; flying machines; the light microscope; the discovery of penicllin; Watson and Crick's DNA strand; Tesla's (Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) electromagnetic research...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 02:43 PM

The point I made above is:

If it is so unlikely that HUMANS made these advancements, why is it so much MORE likely that ANYBODY ELSE would?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 02:46 PM

If they were around longer would be my answer.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 2, 2007, 02:59 PM

Analogika:

Dakar3 echoes my answer as well. Think about a million/billion years from now if we continue on our evolutionary path. If you take evolution seriously, we have evolved into more streamlined, more intelligent organisms from apes, and this happened over a period of about 250,000 years - where the marked differences spawned.

Another part of the answer. You mention LIKELY, which means probable. If you look at the mathematics and theories of whether there is life besides us in the universe, the probability of that we are not alone is high. These theories can be attacked, but they are hard to ignore. They take account of a number of variables, one being the amount of stars and systems (billions) throughout the universe. Given this shear amount, and our assumptions of what it takes for life to form, the probability of life existing is quite high. Now, these stars, galaxies and systems are billions of light years away from us. If there is life out there, then they could be much more advanced than us because of the amount of time they have had to evolve.

Clearly, that is a lot of time to advance and hard for us to comprehend. People/skeptics also criticize the fact that we have no evidence of intelligent life existing, so how can we say it does? Well, first, you can either accept the mathematics of probabilities, or, you can consider this. If a civilization is millions/billions of years ahead of us in evolution, what makes anyone think that we are apt enough to detect them? An analogy illustrates: it could be like a human sitting on top of a skyscraper with a telescope watching a cockroach crawl around some blocks away. There is no way the cockroach will ever be able to detect that surveillance, or that persons presence.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2007, 03:06 PM

Where are the warp drives and lightsabers then?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2007, 03:07 PM

I sometimes find difficulty finding intelligent life on earth.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 03:16 PM

I think Art Bell is a bit dogmatic and simple, but that doesn't mean one should discount what Col. Corso is saying. Corso states that the silicon chip, fiber optics, night vision... all this stuff was a result of the Roswell alien crash. Well, maybe it was.
There's no one named Col Corso. You stole this idea from Bay's Transformers movie.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 03:16 PM

If they were around longer would be my answer.
Their universe is exactly as old as our universe.

Their laws of thermodynamics are exactly the same as our laws of thermodynamics, and their technology needs to overcome very similar obstacles as ours, especially in regard to interplanetary spaceflight.

And quite frankly, the logic of "maybe they were around longer" is kind of similar to the reasoning that if I stand under a tree in the rain until it's rained-through, I'll just go find another tree.

Of course it's *possible* that there are other alien races who developed the capacity for interstellar spaceflight thousands of years ago and who have visited us without making it known to the population at large.

It is also *possible* that this world is all an elaborate illusion planted into our minds via thought control, and that we are in fact all just little white blocks of a cheese-like substance stacked in shelves upon shelves sitting on the back of a giant turtle.

Go on, try to disprove it.

But just because something is *not impossible* doesn't mean it's worth wasting any conscious thought upon.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Analogika:

Dakar3 echoes my answer as well. Think about a million/billion years from now if we continue on our evolutionary path. If you take evolution seriously, we have evolved into more streamlined, more intelligent organisms from apes, and this happened over a period of about 250,000 years - where the marked differences spawned.

Another part of the answer. You mention LIKELY, which means probable. If you look at the mathematics and theories of whether there is life besides us in the universe, the probability of that we are not alone is high. These theories can be attacked, but they are hard to ignore. They take account of a number of variables, one being the amount of stars and systems (billions) throughout the universe. Given this shear amount, and our assumptions of what it takes for life to form, the probability of life existing is quite high. Now, these stars, galaxies and systems are billions of light years away from us. If there is life out there, then they could be much more advanced than us because of the amount of time they have had to evolve.

Clearly, that is a lot of time to advance and hard for us to comprehend. People/skeptics also criticize the fact that we have no evidence of intelligent life existing, so how can we say it does? Well, first, you can either accept the mathematics of probabilities, or, you can consider this. If a civilization is millions/billions of years ahead of us in evolution, what makes anyone think that we are apt enough to detect them? An analogy illustrates: it could be like a human sitting on top of a skyscraper with a telescope watching a cockroach crawl around some blocks away. There is no way the cockroach will ever be able to detect that surveillance, or that persons presence.
Humans and apes diverged from a common ancestor not 250,000, but 3 million years ago.

Your thoughts are not new to me - I read and appreciated a lot of Arthur C. Clarke myself, some years ago, and 2001 is still one of my favorite movies of all time.

The problem, and the big difference between you and Arthur C. Clarke, is that he was playing around with the idea, having *himself* come up with the concept of the communications satellite and geosynchronous orbit.

YOU are basing it, as a conclusive theory, on the development and presence of Teflon and Velcro in human civilization.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 2, 2007, 03:37 PM

Analogika:

No, I am not basing it on the development and presence of Teflon and Velcro in human civilization: Art Bell and company are. The main point of my post was to highlight how this is a mistake. My focus is on the probabilities and what we know about what it takes for life to form and mathematical equations/theories that we can use to ascertain the liklihood of life besides ours.

As for Arthur C. Clarke, I don't really care much what he said or thought.

If you are struggling with the idea of "them" being subject to the same laws of physics as "us", then I highly suggest you watch the following program, which is posted on You Tube, titled: Alien Engineering...

I don't usually suggest people watch "TV", in fact, I cut my cable 10 years ago, but, I watched this program and it is very well done. It covers everything you have mentioned and more, and how some of the obstacles we face with space flight, etc. can be overcome. They talk about alien technology, but nobody in the program mentions where this came from. That is what I like about it, they don't get into conspiracy, etc., they just focus on the technology and explaining it.

Here is a link to You Tube to Part 1 of 10 Parts:

YouTube - UFO Files - Alien Engineering (01 of 10)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:48 PM

Their universe is exactly as old as our universe.

Their laws of thermodynamics are exactly the same as our laws of thermodynamics, and their technology needs to overcome very similar obstacles as ours, especially in regard to interplanetary spaceflight.
I'm working under the assumption that we're a second generation solar system of approximately 4.5 billion years of age in a approximately 12 billion year old universe. So if for the sake of argument we said a first generation system was exactly twice as old, that's an extra 4.5 billion years they had to develop these technologies and interstellar travel. In 4.5 Billion years do you think we'll be capable of interstellar travel? I think its possible.

And quite frankly, the logic of "maybe they were around longer" is kind of similar to the reasoning that if I stand under a tree in the rain until it's rained-through, I'll just go find another tree.
I don' t understand what this means.

Of course it's *possible* that there are other alien races who developed the capacity for interstellar spaceflight thousands of years ago and who have visited us without making it known to the population at large.

It is also *possible* that this world is all an elaborate illusion planted into our minds via thought control, and that we are in fact all just little white blocks of a cheese-like substance stacked in shelves upon shelves sitting on the back of a giant turtle.

Go on, try to disprove it.

But just because something is *not impossible* doesn't mean it's worth wasting any conscious thought upon.
I think you're taking this all a little too seriously. I for one don't believe aliens have visited this planet or that the Roswell incident occurred. But if they somehow did, the above reasons are why I could find it believable.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2007, 03:55 PM

Dakar is an alien. He's just trying to convince the population that his kind does not exist.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:58 PM

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:59 PM

an extra 4.5 billion years they had to develop these technologies and interstellar travel.
Agreed, and the odds are many intelligent species could have come and went within the extreme time span of this universe. Gee, 3 million years... we're just getting started.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 3, 2007, 08:50 PM

Interesting footage:

YouTube - Undeniable Proof of Real Aliens

not sure the validity.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 05:57 AM

Interesting footage:

YouTube - Undeniable Proof of Real Aliens

not sure the validity.
Good grief.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 4, 2007, 01:22 PM

Look everyone, it is the prophet and scholar: the all knowing analogika.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 02:05 PM

Look everyone, it is the prophet and scholar: the all knowing analogika.
You just linked to a YouTube video titled "Undeniable Proof of Real Aliens".

I mean, seriously: Do you read the Weekly World News for its information content?

"Men In Black" was a joke, you know.

[Edit: just bothered actually watching that video. I reiterate: Good grief. (oddly, the astronauts themselves, the only ones not dependent upon a fuzzy black-and-white cam image not actually focussed on anything, only saw "debris" flying along). ]
( Last edited by analogika; Aug 4, 2007 at 02:12 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2007, 02:18 PM

The twenty-first century is when everything changes. And you gotta be ready.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 03:35 PM

Off to eat dinner and watch "Men In Black" with the lady.

Thanks for the inspiration, fraudling!

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 4, 2007, 03:43 PM

There we have it, analogika has spoken and disounted the video. Good grief!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 03:46 PM

Are you just trying to be contrary, or are you for real?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 4, 2007, 03:56 PM

Good grief!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 04:30 PM

Exactly.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 4, 2007, 04:49 PM

Also, one might say, "My goodness". What about playing with it, like, "Griefing goodness".

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 06:40 PM

No.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2007, 06:47 PM

"Doth awey alyen goddis, that ben in the mydil of bow"

Proof that aliens have been recorded since at least 1382.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2007, 11:23 PM

I think even God said that Aliens are helping us out. That's what Neale Donald Walsch wrote anyway
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 5, 2007, 12:49 AM

Pretty cool pictures of ancient engravings...

From Egypt:

Another engraving from Egypt:

http://www.alien-ufo-pictures.com/akhnatonbabies.jpg

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 03:45 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules