Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Install OS-X via Target Disk Mode

Install OS-X via Target Disk Mode
DewD
Sep 17, 2007, 02:04 PM

I need to install Tiger onto a newly acquired eMac 800 which is currently running Jaguar , and has a CD drive. My Tiger install disks are DVD ( and please don't suggest I send them and $ 10.00 to Apple for CD installer replacements!)

Can I successfully install Tiger onto the eMac using Target Disk Mode / FireWire from my G4 tower without complications to the host machine or other " gotchas" ?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2007, 03:55 PM

Should work fine.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 17, 2007, 05:04 PM

Yes--I did something similar on my indigo iMac.

I started my MacBook in target mode, insert the DVD and connected the two machines via FireWire. On booting the iMac, I held down the "b" key (or whatever key is used to select the boot volume; I can't remember what it is offhand). This brought up the internal iMac HD (which had OS 9 on it) and the MacBook DVD drive with the Tiger install DVD. I selected the DVD as the boot drive and booted into the Tiger installation.

It took about 2 hours to complete, but I attribute this to the low memory and slow processor of the iMac. Otherwise, the install went as smooth as can be.

A word of caution: Make sure that when you partition and select the drive to install to, it is the eMac's drive and not your G4 drive.

DewD  (op)
Sep 17, 2007, 07:45 PM

Original poster here:

I went ahead and did the Target Disk install onto an eMac from a G4 tower. Went very well...absolutely no issues. Then upgraded from 10.4.6 base install to latest 10.4.10 in less than 30 minutes ( was surprised to find an update to iTunes had been released this afternoon...was the first kid on my block to have that , I'm sure.

So , for general knowledge to you'all...Macs install system disks over FireWire between machines ; no prob! I'm using it now for this post.

By the way , I'm not a " fresh faced recruit" . I've subscribed to this forum for several years and initiated nearly 30 posts and countless responses...dunno why I got flushed by the MacNN bureaucrats and had to re-up. Oh well....

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by DewD View Post
So , for general knowledge to you'all...Macs install system disks over FireWire between machines ; no prob! I'm using it now for this post.
Just to clarify; this works fine for PPC to PPC, but the install disks that come with the new intel machines are specific to that intel model. A PPC disk won't work on intel, and not all intels work on other intels.

Cold Warrior
Sep 17, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
and not all intels work on other intels.
Until Leopard. Mwhahah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules