Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse!

Mighty Mouse!
kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 09:01 AM

The funkiest mouse out, but no wireless version? Seems rather odd...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 09:02 AM

It looks nice. If it would have been BT (w/ USB charging) I would have considered buying as many as three, but with a cable... Hmm, maybe I'll get one to try out.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 09:05 AM

I shall wait for the bluetooth version.

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 09:08 AM

Looks pretty wicked to me. I want one.

[Sigh]

I'm sad.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 09:09 AM

With Bluetooth becoming more or less standard equipment across the board I would think that Apple would have release a BT version along side of this one. I have been holding off on getting a different mouse just to see if the rumors were true. Since they are true it looks like I am still going to have to wait because I don't need a mouse with a cord.

honz
Aug 2, 2005, 09:09 AM

I really want this, but yeah... gonna wait wait for the wireless version

crooner
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by honz
I really want this, but yeah... gonna wait wait for the wireless version
You know, I saw the announcement and was so excited over how cool the thing is I didn’t even notice it has a... well... tail.

I'm so used to wireless (be it BlueTooth or RF or what have you) it didn't even dawn on me that they would release a CORDED mouse!

So, yeah... as cool as it is, I'll be waiting for the BLUETOOTH version as well. Too bad. It really looks sweet.

Afterthought:
Anyone know if this will become standard equipment with newly ordered Macs? Just curious as I just ordered a 2.7Ghz G5.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 09:40 AM

Apple finally relents and makes a multi-button mouse and yet there are still complainers.

Geez.

edit: Ok, I jumped the gun. The comments regarding BT are valid and I'm sure that version is coming soon.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 09:42 AM

Wow. Apple's first multi-button mouse. I thought it would never happen. I guess they thought of a way to make it innovative.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 09:46 AM

Maybe they need the extra juice of a wired mouse in order to run that built in speaker.

Yup - that's right - this thing actually has a built in speaker in order to make a 'click' sound, because with the solid-state click sensors it's otherwise silent !

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 09:50 AM

I'm up for one, for sure. I don't like the feeling of BT/wireless mice as it always feels like I'm dragging one pixel too slow.

Hope the feel is as good as the looks are.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Macrat
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 09:55 AM

It must be starting to get chilly at a certain bad place. Combining a trackball and mouse sounds like a really cool idea. But I like to rest my fingers on all three primary buttons, clicking at whim, it would be uncomfortable to always have my fingers 'hovering' lest I accidently activate the wrong click.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 10:12 AM

I dig it. The cord doesn't bother me for at-home use. However I have always though Apple's mice were too lightweight. I wonder if this one's any "heftier" to hold.

as2
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:16 AM

Just found this at the bottom of the product page..

Mighty Mouse is a trademark of Viacom Consumer Products Inc., used under license.
Does this mean that the technology wasn't designed/developed by Apple?
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

as2
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:20 AM

Ok.. So I'm dumb.. Just read the rest of the pages, and it's the cartoon character Mighty Mouse that is the trade-mark
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Nugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by as2
It probably means that Viacomm owns the copyright to the old Mighty Mouse cartoons.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer

Originally Posted by as2
Just found this at the bottom of the product page..

I imagine it has more to do with this mouse:

You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Maybe they need the extra juice of a wired mouse in order to run that built in speaker.

Yup - that's right - this thing actually has a built in speaker in order to make a 'click' sound, because with the solid-state click sensors it's otherwise silent !
I think that this is reason for the cord. It would need too much power for batteries. You have the optical system, the pressure sensors and the mini speaker. Ouch.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 10:30 AM

not sure if i really like the no button design. i'll have to test it out before getting one.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2005, 10:37 AM

Does it still actually move down when it clicks? I hope so...

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:53 AM

Well, I'm definitely testing one out soonish, but there's no way I'm spending money on a corded mouse. Hopefully, you can customize each button to any arbitrary keystroke or key/click combo. Otherwise, I gotta shell out extra Gamepad Companion or USB Overdrive, so I may as well get someone elses moose.

Uh, mousse.

Mouse. whatever.

Oh, also. Mighty Mouse: what a stupid name. Not very Apple-like. Ugh.

Also also. from the pics, it looks like the ugs. Maybe it's prettier in person. I think my apple BT mouse is beautiful and comfy, but the little ball stuck on top makes it look truly weird. Almost seems like it'd look better with lines to differentiate the top buttons. But I s'pose I oughtta reserve judgement 'til I get my grubby paws on it..
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Aug 2, 2005 at 10:56 AM. Reason: forgot 2 unimportant things.)

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by threestain
Looks pretty wicked to me. I want one.

[Sigh]

I'm sad.
Touch sensitive buttons? No thanks!

dru
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by kennethmac2000
The funkiest mouse out, but no wireless version? Seems rather odd...
I wonder if they'll make this standard equipment.

Is there anything left of the Macintosh?

*sigh*

My mother might like one for her PC laptop. I'm content with my cheapo Logitech scroll mouse.

Does this mean UNSANITY has to rename their mouse pointer software?
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

havyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 11:18 AM

what i'm curious about is the resolution on the optical sensor...800..1600dpi? couldn't find it anywhere in the tech specs.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 11:29 AM

The two button mouse, but with Apple style, W00T! http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Aug 2, 2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: merged here from other thread)
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 2, 2005, 11:29 AM

Definitely cool.

The last apple mouse I bought was the black apple pro mouse. Very nice but the cable was too short ( these days I had an iBook blueberry with usb on the left side ). It was clearly intended to be used with the apple pro keyboard ( with usb ports left and right ).

Can anyone update me? Is the usb cable for apple mice now longer than 30 centimeters?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 11:30 AM

I was looking forward to ditching my Kensington PilotMouse BT for this as soon as I saw the report. But no BT means no purchase for me. Oh well.

OAW

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 11:34 AM

I've never used a wireless mouse that hasn't had perceptible latency. Everybody else I know usually can't detect it with the same mouse, but I can, and it pisses me off -- I just find it that annoying while I'm working. Maybe I'm Superman or something, I dunno...but I guess I like my corded mice, thank you. So, I might buy this one. Despite the fact that it's a multi-button mouse now and some people wouldn't like that, I do think the design is very Apple-like, and I like it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 11:52 AM

Hell freezes over... again.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by elvis2000
Touch sensitive buttons? No thanks!
I agree. Having tactile feedback I think is important. Would anyone want a touch sensitive keyboard?? But I'm willing to try it out at my local Apple Store.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear
I've never used a wireless mouse that hasn't had perceptible latency. Everybody else I know usually can't detect it with the same mouse, but I can, and it pisses me off -- I just find it that annoying while I'm working. Maybe I'm Superman or something, I dunno...but I guess I like my corded mice, thank you. So, I might buy this one. Despite the fact that it's a multi-button mouse now and some people wouldn't like that, I do think the design is very Apple-like, and I like it.
On my PC I have a MS Intellimouse Explorer that works very well. No perceptible lag and long battery life. If there were any noticable lag I would definitely have felt it Doom 3 or Half Life. It uses RF however, not BT.

osxisfun
Aug 2, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
I agree. Having tactile feedback I think is important. Would anyone want a touch sensitive keyboard?? But I'm willing to try it out at my local Apple Store.

looks like there is a speaker inside to simulate clicks....

can't wait to try this out...

and can't wait for USB overdrive to change the top two buttons to 4!!!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 12:26 PM

Well, so far, Mighty Mouse isn't even a BTO option for new machines. I seriously doubt this will become the default mouse. (And I hope it does not!)

tooki

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 12:34 PM

Yep. Will wait for a Bluetooth version....what were they thinking offering no wireless?

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 12:36 PM

First Apple makes a computer for under 500 dollars
Then they join forces with Intel
And now a two button mouse...

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
On my PC I have a MS Intellimouse Explorer that works very well. No perceptible lag and long battery life. If there were any noticable lag I would definitely have felt it Doom 3 or Half Life. It uses RF however, not BT.
My friend has that same mouse. While it's not as bad as a lot of the Logitech wireless I've used, I can still notice lag. I don't know why. So I've just stuck with my old Logitech MX500 for a while...

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 12:43 PM

Does this mean they'll finally offer a multi-button trackpad for laptops? Every time I borrow my wife's iBook, within seconds I'm swearing up and down because I can't figure how to live without a right-click button.

Please, Apple. Multi-button trackpad. Please.

Have to say I'm leery of touch sensitive buttons. Definitely have to test drive it at the Apple store. Luckily they just opened one 3 blocks from my house.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Madrag
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 12:55 PM

cool mouse!

I also think it's strange that they haven't done a wireless version ???

I would like to test it before buying one.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 12:58 PM

Hook us up. This time perhaps an iPod like battery in it that will last for a long time.

I still love my ExpertMouse Wireless (optical) from Kensington.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

havyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 01:00 PM

anyone know the dpi resolution of the sensor? i see we merged threads here...

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 01:01 PM

That's amazing, sort of. I wanted a headless desktop to switch from my ibook and I got the Mac Mini. I wanted a scroll mechanism to let me scroll sideways and now mighty mouse.

I have some concerns though. Mainly that since the wheel is now a ball, it will likely be susceptible to clogging that the old ball mice were, which is why I use an optical mouse. It'll probably be worse since your hands are dirtier than the desk. There is another mouse where the wheel tilts to give you sideways movement.

Also, I haven't had very good experiences with my ibook trackpad so I don't know how reliable the touch sensitive buttons would be. I actually love the idea of touch sensitive stuff but I don't think it's accurate.

The cable needs to be longer too. I got rid of my pro mouse pretty quick after realising the usb ports on my ibook were on the left and the cable only just reached round my 12" ibook. After getting a 3 button M$ optical mouse, I never looked back and now have a 5-button.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 01:03 PM

i use iScroll and have right click on my PB now. all i gotta do is keep my two fingers on the trackpad while clicking. you might wanna check out iScroll or Sidetrack to heal what ails ya.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 01:11 PM

What's the big deal about the cord? Wireless mice have never made sense to me. A good mouse has a soft cord that doesn't get in the way. Why add the hassle of having to change or recharge batteries? I just don't see the point, when you consider it's a device that lives entirely within arm's reach.

tooki

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 01:18 PM

just a note for those who only want one button. you can keep that as an option. how many buttons you have depends on how you program it. seems pretty cool to me.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 01:20 PM

Cord or no cord, this mouse looks mighty sweet. I'm getting one.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 01:22 PM

I consider the fact that it is NOT wireless a plus.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zoetrope
Aug 2, 2005, 01:22 PM

Bluetooth schmuetooth, I'm suprised no one cares about the 360 degree scrolling capabilities. I don't know of another mouse that can do this yet, and for graphics work I can see how this would be quite useful. Goin' down to the U Village this evening to check it out. If I like it, its mine
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

havocidal
Aug 2, 2005, 01:23 PM

well considering that the mighty mouse LOOKS like a one button mouse... there is actually a right click... so i assume the next powerbooks might have one button but it can actually right click depending on where you apply the pressure on...

anyway regarding BT mice... you guys need to be patient... when apple first released the "pill" mouse... there was no BT version... im sure design-wise you should have noticed that apple has moved from transparent to WHITE... and e current BT mouse has no transparent casing... besides... itz a big leap for apple to create this mouse cuz it actually has 5 mouse buttons instead of one... that is like WOAH... +4 from the original.. and a 360 degree scroll wheel... which is gonna make adobe photoshop work alot easier... instead of using the annoying hand tool...

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce

My Logitech Cordless Presenter had such a piezo feedback mechanism as well. It was useful because the scroll buttons didn't actually depress. There was no way to know whether one had depressed them without that little piezo 'click'.

I'm waiting for the Bluetooth version as well.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 01:33 PM

I'm not impressed. I expect more from Apple. This is simply a combination of existing technologies and nothing new.

Now, how many of you are really going to keep your fingers hovering over the buttons, and never touch them unless you intend to make a "click"? There's a reason everyone else stuck with a true switch design instead of a touch sensitive design.

This has failure written all over it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules