Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Optimized Clients for Windows?

Optimized Clients for Windows?
OneMacGuy
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 09:19 AM

Now that crunch3r has quit, who has the next best optimized clients for windows? I loaded a new Dual Core P4 2.66 o/c to 3.0 this weekend and it got lower benchmark scores than my 2.6 Ghz Celery box? Anybody know what is up with that?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

BTW, Is there a new optimized client for my Dual G4's yet?

Scott edit: Let's keep spelling of operating systems correct here.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Aug 14, 2006 at 10:08 AM. )
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 09:43 AM

There's a sticky thread in the S@H Number Crunching Forum that has current links to all known optimized S@H apps:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...d=31810#360541

The link above will take you right to the message where KWSN-Chicken of Angnor has posted links to all of his PC optimized S@H apps.

QS

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by QSilver
There's a sticky thread in the S@H Number Crunching Forum that has current links to all known optimized S@H apps:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...d=31810#360541

The link above will take you right to the message where KWSN-Chicken of Angnor has posted links to all of his PC optimized S@H apps.

QS
Do these work for Rosetta? In the past I have had trouble getting the SETI versions of Boinc to work.
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by OneMacGuy
Do these work for Rosetta? In the past I have had trouble getting the SETI versions of Boinc to work.
Rosetta is a different project than SETI. There's no value anymore in having an optimized version of BOINC, it's the science applications that benefit from optimization. The S@H apps from KWSN-Chicken of Angnor that I was referring to are optimized SETI@Home science apps that run within the standard-issue BOINC app.

I'm not involved with Rosetta, so I'm not sure if anyone has optimized science apps for it.

QS

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by OneMacGuy
BTW, Is there a new optimized client for my Dual G4's yet?
The most recent optimized BOINC client for G4 is 5.4.9. The Superbench version should help re: benchmarks for Rosetta. I believe Rosetta still bases credit upon benchmarking, correct? For S@H, this won't have any affect on credit awarded.
http://members.dslextreme.com/~reade...hUniversal.zip

This is the most recent optimized S@H application for your dual G4, courtesy of our own resident optimizing wizard, Alex Kan. It runs about 2x as fast as the standard application on my dual 1.33 G4. Be sure to drop Alex a quick "thanks" if you like his ap. He works hard to keep our PPCs crunching fast!

http://tbp.berkeley.edu/~alexkan/set...nographics.zip

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
( Last edited by Gecko_r7; Aug 14, 2006 at 06:01 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules