Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pocket knives - anyone carry one?

Pocket knives - anyone carry one? (Page 2)
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2007, 09:43 AM

You are from the USA, only US citizens talk like that, no offense meant, just making a point.
i'm sure it would be legal to carry a pocket knife if I had real reason (other than cutting people).

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 10:19 AM

I have a small stainless Wagner swiss jack knife that lived in my back pocket as I used at work over the summer, it has a nice flat head screwdriver. Now it mostly sits in my car or school bag and i find I have a use for it in pretty much any situation. I had to switch out a parking light socket on my car and used it as a wire cutter and wire stripper, yeah i know its horrible for the blade, but its a jack knife not a surgical tool.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
You can always go with a traditional Swiss Army knife...
I carry one of those. LOL.. even at the airport checkpoint once and had to derail back home, since I don't want to give it up.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
"Hey Railroader*, lend me your knife for this task I must complete."
You kids and your crazy slang!

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
You are from the USA, only US citizens talk like that, no offense meant, just making a point.
i'm sure it would be legal to carry a pocket knife if I had real reason (other than cutting people).
You want to be brainwashed into not having rights, that's your life man.

You don't get it. Did you notice how many people have given you multiple excuses about why they carry a pocket knife (hint: it is NOT for protection as you so ignorantly want to insist) ?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
You kids and your crazy slang!
You should hear what we say when there's a string or something that needs to be trimmed. Cover your ears grandma!

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 06:14 PM

you are wrong, they are nifty tools that come in handy in any other country
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post

you are wrong, they are nifty tools that come in handy in any other country
You want to be brainwashed into not having rights, that's your life man.

You don't get it. Did you notice how many people have given you multiple excuses about why they carry a pocket knife (hint: it is NOT for protection as you so ignorantly want to insist) ?
They were getting all NRA about handguns, I don't see anything wrong in carrying a knife if you find it a useful tool.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2007, 06:46 PM

They were getting all NRA about handguns, I don't see anything wrong in carrying a knife if you find it a useful tool.
Seeing as this thread is about knives and your quote I replied to talked about knives;
Seriously, you have no real reason to carry a knife other than to cut people?!?! What a boring life.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2007, 06:50 PM

Who was?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 4, 2007, 06:50 PM

Seriously, you have no real reason to carry a knife other than to cut people?!?! What a boring life.
I don't know...a life where I cut people with a pocketknife on a regular basis would be pretty fun.

On a totally unrelated note, I think I'm going to go into the field of back-alley medicine.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2007, 07:06 PM

:
I can't think of any practical use (for me) outside my home, I would hardly class whittling wood and opening letters as exiting past times, but I live in a big city.

I found it interesting how many people carry big razor sharp knives in their pockets, i'm not saying its wrong, but I think its a bit strange.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 07:17 PM

please tell me what big city people use to cut stuff

it's a tool
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2007, 07:18 PM

I can't think of any practical use (for me) outside my home, I would hardly class whittling wood and opening letters as exiting past times, but I live in a big city.

I found it interesting how many people carry big razor sharp knives in their pockets, i'm not saying its wrong, but I think its a bit strange.
How boring.

Is a knife supposed to be dull!?!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
please tell me what big city people use to cut stuff
Scissors?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2007, 07:53 PM

Scissors?
Sounds like a dangerous way to open a package.

What about when you are outside? Do you carry a pair of scissors with you. Again, sounds dangerous.

Or do you use those super-dull scissors that my 2 year old is trusted with? This might explain your "razor-sharp" comment earlier.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2007, 07:57 PM

I don't carry a knife, but just because I don't like having a lot of stuff in my pockets (and money clip, card case, keys, and iPhone are plenty, thankyouverymuch). However there have been plenty of occasions where it would have been nice to have one, and I often find myself borrowing a pocket knife from a friend (usually to cut things that aren't people).

I've thought about buying a knife with a belt clip, or one of those Leatherman ones with the carabiner clip (they look really nice), or maybe even a boot knife (I like boots and wear them pretty much whenever it's reasonable to do so), but there's just so many to choose from. :/

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 10:05 PM

Gee, I remember when it was acceptable to carry one in school. Those days of trust are long gone. I even remember an English class where we had to prepare an oral presentation and my neighbor brought his shotgun to school on the bus to give his on the proper disassembly and cleaning of the shotgun. Again, I miss those days.

I grew up on a dairy farm and if you did not have your pocket knife with you, well, you just weren't prepared for the day. I have been carrying one since I was about nine.

As said previously; a knife is a tool.
macforray

Macrat
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Have a look at Spyderco.

I carry the serrated Spyderco Ladybug3.

It's lightweight (0.6 oz) and can be opened with one hand.

-t
I second this, cheap enough to not worry about losing/damaging and small enough to fit in my jeans change pocket. Works really great for screwing on my tripod camera mount to my camera when folded.

I usually put it in my checked luggage when flying, but one time I forgot I still had it and went on thru airport security without any notice. Not until I got to my destination did I realize it wasn't in my suitcase and still in my pocket...

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 11:20 PM

I use mine to open everything I purchase from Apple and have shipped to my house. I also use it to cut ribbons on Christmas presents. You can also use them for wire stripping, opening envelopes, cutting tape, and many, many more uses.

I'm considering a Spyderco Adventura, but they appear out of stock.

Mine must have a metal handle, and be able to be sharpened with simple sharpening stones.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
Gee, I remember when it was acceptable to carry one in school. Those days of trust are long gone. I even remember an English class where we had to prepare an oral presentation and my neighbor brought his shotgun to school on the bus to give his on the proper disassembly and cleaning of the shotgun. Again, I miss those days.

I grew up on a dairy farm and if you did not have your pocket knife with you, well, you just weren't prepared for the day. I have been carrying one since I was about nine.

As said previously; a knife is a tool.
I wish I grew up where you grew up... i still remember almost getting suspended for carrying a swiss army knife on my keychain back in High School. I used it for work... never got it back!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
I hear ya. When I was in HS, every Friday we had rifle team practice at the end of the day, and I carried a .22 around with me all day, to every class. No one thought it was odd, it just seemed natural.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2007, 02:34 AM

Can't go wrong with Spyderco. A good Colorado company. Drop in and they sharpen and clean everything up for you on the spot.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

loki74
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2007, 03:16 AM

Scissors?
Yes. But only when I must; it's a major pain in the a** by comparison. I didn't bring my knife to the dorms (don't think we're supposed to, although I suppose I could), but back in Vegas I just used a cheapy knife (pretty sharp though) to cut packaging/boxes/etc open, and it is much, much easier.

And don't forget, scissors can kill too.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 08:02 AM

Sounds like a dangerous way to open a package.

What about when you are outside? Do you carry a pair of scissors with you. Again, sounds dangerous.

Or do you use those super-dull scissors that my 2 year old is trusted with? This might explain your "razor-sharp" comment earlier.
I'm not saying I don't own knives, i'm saying I don't carry them (or scissors) on the street, I have them in my home and my workplace.
Do you open a lot of packages on the street?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2007, 09:13 AM

Dude you're dense. He said outside, he didn't say he was cutting open a package in the middle of Times Square. "Outside" could be in the yard, around the house, in-a-pinch repairs, etc.
ice

Railroader
Banned
Dec 5, 2007, 09:56 AM

I'm not saying I don't own knives, i'm saying I don't carry them (or scissors) on the street, I have them in my home and my workplace.
Do you open a lot of packages on the street?
If I had a typical job, I'd only be away from home 1/3 of the time and even then only 5 out of 7 days a week. Alas, I have a job where I am home 100% of the time. And I don't like shopping, so I do everything but grocery shopping from home. I get about 4-5 packages a day.

I also do a LOT of woodworking and electronics work. I also live in a 7 bedroom 4 bathroom home on about 20 acres.

I need to use a knife about 15-20 times a day.

Seriously, dude, look outside your little bubble.

Forum Links
Forum Rules