Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When is the last time you wrote an actual letter?

When is the last time you wrote an actual letter?
design219
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 10:27 PM

Not an e-mail, but a letter on paper with a stamp and sent via the postal service. I don't think I've written a letter on paper within the last 10 years. It's a shame...I guess.

I think I'll write to a couple of relatives tomorrow. If I can find some paper. And an envelope. And the post office.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Cold Warrior
Apr 18, 2008, 10:36 PM

5 years, as long as we don't count birthday cards.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2008, 11:24 PM

A couple of "Get Well" cards in the past year. Not real letters though.

-t

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 01:09 AM

I typed a quick letter to a medical company the other week, concerning the sorry state of my insurance company, and their lack of desire to pay the medical company for what they were rightfully owed under the terms of my insurance plan. The last time I hand-wrote a letter was fan mail to Kurt Vonnegut back in 1999. He didn't answer.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 19, 2008, 01:49 AM

I really don't remember. I was never much of a letter writer even before the interwebs. I had huge phone bills.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 02:51 AM

Last week and did it on style, a nice papyrus-like envelope and expensive Garda Cartiere (italian) paper.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2008, 06:22 AM

On Wednesday. Wasn’t hand-written, but it was in an envelope with a stamp and stuff. Actually, it was just a cover letter for sending out a death certificate. But still a letter.

Last time I’ve sent out a ‘real’ letter from myself, rather than from work, is about six months ago: my application for the IT University.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2008, 11:43 AM

I can't remember. And I am a little disappointed by that. Either my memory is failing or I am losing the personal touch that a letter emits.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2008, 11:48 AM

A few months ago. My printer was defect.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 11:59 AM

All the time for business purposes, almost never in my personal life.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 12:51 PM

15 years ago?

Even then, it was printed on a dot matrix. I can't even read my handwriting, so I don't expect other people to be able to.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 01:20 PM

when I helped someone write their DNR

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 01:41 PM

Yesterday. I have older friends, 70+ years old, who prefer getting physical mail.

It's wonderful, really. I love getting snail mail correspondence, more care seems to go into it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 19, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
when I helped someone write their DNR
They weren't satisfied with the quality of their state parks?

I sent several of my friends handwritten cards on Valentine's Day. Before that, I can't remember.
( Last edited by Laminar; Apr 19, 2008 at 05:10 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yesterday. I have older friends, 70+ years old, who prefer getting physical mail.

It's wonderful, really. I love getting snail mail correspondence, more care seems to go into it.
Ah! Thanks for triggering my memory. It is my memory going bad.

I wrote my Great-Aunt a hand-written letter just before Christmas. She replied with an email.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 03:57 PM

I can't remember when I last wrote a letter.

I'm with Doofy on this one... my handwriting has gotten so poor I can hardly read it myself.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 04:14 PM

Thursday.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Thursday.
What YEAR ?

-t

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Apr 19, 2008, 04:38 PM

Once every few months. Most of the time its just random stuff. The last one I got was my friend trying to prove a correlation between the size of a person's chin and whether or not that person makes a good leader. Its almost always random crap. I refuted from the office of beards (i.e. return address) that it is in fact beards that make a good leader, and therefore this study of chins is in violation of beard code 26893-D. And that all studies should cease immediately pending "bad stuff." Uhmm. lets see, another was a Ray Johnson inspired "Moticos" letter to my friend Melany.

It's just more flattering to see that a person went through the trouble to mail something to you. Even if it's only like 42¢ It's garaunteed to bring a smile anyway.

Facebook is so... blah.
are you lightfooted?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2008, 09:18 PM

I write to my grandmother pretty regularly. She's deaf (as in since birth) and I really don't like calling her through the relay system.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Apr 19, 2008, 09:29 PM

I never was much of a letter writer before the internet and now with email I basically never write letters anymore. It's been several years since my last paper letter.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I write to my grandmother pretty regularly. She's deaf (as in since birth) and I really don't like calling her through the relay system.
My family is deaf too, uncle and dad. Since I learned sign language I figured I'd work for the relay guys. I work for Sorenson, they pay well and have a great work environment. Plus I only have to work a few hours a week.

Back on topic... I think I wrote a letter to some girl that I met at church camp when I was about 16, that would be 16 years ago. I do write handwritten thank you cards to people quite frequently, but those aren't "letters". My handwriting is going downhill very quickly.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 05:00 AM

Wrote a letter to the Jury Commissioner to find out when my Jury duty really was, because every week they would send me something new, with a new time and location on it. In the end they didn't need me at all. And I never got a reply from my letter. Oh well.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What YEAR ?
Last week. Nothing better to do on a flight to Phoenix.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 07:02 AM

Last Year to my grandmother. Wrote her a post card the day before yesterday from Stockholm. She's 89, so it's quite a happening for her. I guess I'll write a letter in a few weeks… Thanks for the reminder.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 08:42 AM

I think it was to myself, my freshman year of high school. Obviously, it was an assignment.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 08:51 AM

I write at least a couple post cards on every trip I go on... not exactly letters with a purpose though.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2008, 09:01 AM

I used to write formal, business letters at least weekly, but when I retired about three years ago that stopped. Since then, I've written formal letters a few times, with the last time probably as much as a year ago. I'm not counting "what we've done all year" letters that go in Christmas cards-those aren't "letters" as much as newsletters, and all of them are typed. I've also written near-letters in the form of an enclosure in a card, and I think the last time was in January. I'm working hard to NOT let my handwriting crumble into dust, and I hand write notes in class relatively frequently, but I generally don't have what I'd consider the contemplative time needed to write out a formal, personal letter. And is I sent such a letter to the few people with whom I actively stay in contact, they'd be worried that something was wrong! We use the phone (now and then) and email for a lot of that sort of long-distance keeping-in-touch.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cipher13
Apr 21, 2008, 09:48 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever hand-written a letter. I take notes and scribble on paper, but formal letters? Never.

I did send a postcard from Naples once, but it was blank apart from the address, so I'm not sure that counts.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 12:08 PM

I wrote an annoyed letter to my favorite sports team complaining about how many games make it on tv. Figured a real letter would get noticed more. That was about 3 months ago. Before that? I guess the thank you cards for my wedding, which was 3 years ago.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 12:13 PM

Last Tuesday.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

KenWillFlow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2008, 12:33 PM

Probably a few months ago, writing something to my girlfriend.

I guess the follow-up question is: When is the last time you received an actual letter?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai View Post
My family is deaf too, uncle and dad. Since I learned sign language I figured I'd work for the relay guys. I work for Sorenson, they pay well and have a great work environment. Plus I only have to work a few hours a week.
My grandma just got a Sorenson. Maybe I should give it a try with the new system in place. I don't need any equipment than a phone, right?

(Sorry to be off topic)

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by KenWillFlow View Post
I guess the follow-up question is: When is the last time you received an actual letter?
Every couple of days. We receive a lot of hand written letters from supporters.

We send out a type written letter every month to supporters.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2008, 03:03 PM

My grandma just got a Sorenson.
My grandma used to be a Sorenson (well, a Sørensen) until she got married and became a Jacquet.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
My grandma used to be a Sorenson (well, a Sørensen) until she got married and became a Jacquet.
She became a jacket? Sorry, couldn't resist.

The last time I wrote a letter was a few weeks ago. I wrote to my aunt in Greece. She's 75 years old and doesn't do e-mail. No computer either. I hand write most of my letters to her. It usually takes me a lot longer to write in Greek than it does in English, simply because my hands are more used to writing Latin characters than Greek. But it makes the letters more personal.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2008, 04:31 AM

She became a jacket? Sorry, couldn't resist.
’S okay, we’re used to it. Whenever we’re in an English-speaking country, people will invariably pronounce our last name as ‘Jacket’. It’s better than here, where people will completely choke on it and not have a clue how to pronounce it. It’s not that complex.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Apr 24, 2008, 08:23 AM

Does anyone else think the lack of letter writing is a serious issue? Besides the fact that I can barely read my writing because everything is on a keyboard, I think about all the letters I used to write. Page upon page of thoughts. I hadn't spoken to a friend of mine for maybe twenty years, and she said she still had my letters. Those letters contained feelings at the time, what I was interested in, what I was mad about at the time, and what my plans were. I have no idea what was in those letters exactly, but the letters still exist, and I suspect those words wouldn't have if they were sent by email just a few years ago.

After reading "John Adams", by David McCullough, I realized just how important these letters are as historical documents. Adams wrote to his wife, his wife to Jefferson and so on, and we have a much clearer pictures of the players and motivations of these people than we would have simply by other sources such as military and political records.

I know some who have organized a "Get out the Pen" movement. I don't think it's moving too fast. But I certainly see a significant loss in our historical record because of this lack of letter writing. Emails tend to be shortened, they stay on the hard drive, and hard drives crash, or when transferring to a new machine the emails will just be forgotten about. The record is gone.

btw - I haven't written a letter in years.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
’S okay, we’re used to it. Whenever we’re in an English-speaking country, people will invariably pronounce our last name as ‘Jacket’. It’s better than here, where people will completely choke on it and not have a clue how to pronounce it. It’s not that complex.
I know the feeling. Our last name is 12 letters long. Even when written out transliterated into English, Greek last names tend to be pronounced as they are spelled.

I loved getting substitute teachers in school. Whenever they would call the roll, they would go down the list, get to my name, and then you got a big pause. Then, "um, er, uh..."

Some would go ahead and try to pronounce it. Some never even tried.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2008, 08:55 AM

That was never a problem for me: our school system is a bit different from the US system and students and teachers always call each other by first name, and Janus is quite easy to pronounce (for a Dane, though practically impossible to pronounce [correctly] to anyone else).

marydore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2008, 09:06 AM

Am new to this group but couldn't resist posting to this subject. I am in the process of CLOSING 2 Hallmark stores because of you guys I am not SAD about this though. I send very FEW cards now and I own the stores hehe. I told my family once the stores closed that was it for snail mail - I highly recommend e-cards except for those special grandparents that don't have computers!! Hooray for the internet!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 09:10 AM

Last week Thursday. To a girl I fancy in Iowa.

I find them way more romantic. Plus I tend to slow down my though process when writing by hand. (Though I did make a smiley face in the letter at one point. Because I like to be cute.)

I write a ton of post cards as well.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 09:14 AM

I send an occasional post card to my girl every now and then, she gets a kick out if it. I also send some chocolates to her work which makes her blush pretty good.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 09:21 AM

Do letters that are composed on the computer and then sent via snail-mail (or given to people directly) count? I wrote a ton of letters when I was in the process of looking for a new job and leaving my old one. Most of those letters just got E-mailed as PDF's, but a few (including my actual resignation letter, and my acceptance of the new job offer) were printed, signed, and delivered personally. I believe a formal, well-written cover letter can make a good positive impression whenever you're trying to get people you don't already know to hire you.

I also write a formal letter (composed on the computer), personally signed by me, every time I am disputing something with a vendor or service provider. Basically, I write actual letters when I want to be sure that I have a firm record of whatever it is I sent. Letter-writing is still a good skill to have, even if very few people do it longhand anymore.

I think the last time I sent a personal letter through the mail was when I was back home during summer break from college, and did not have access to my E-mail (because nobody had E-mail outside of Universities, a few businesses or Compuserve....)

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by marydore View Post
I am in the process of CLOSING 2 Hallmark stores because of you guys
Glad our indifference could help.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules