Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Stacking Mac Minis and Time Capsule

Stacking Mac Minis and Time Capsule
Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2009, 01:56 AM

I have 2 minis and a time capsule to stack up, the TC seems to output a lot more heat than the minis do, so even though its a bigger footprint should i stack the TC on top of the minis?

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2009, 01:39 PM

The manual for the mini states that one should not stack anything on top of it...for heat and wireless considerations.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2009, 01:53 PM

Why don't you get yourself some kind of metal shelves where you can stack the devices without them being literarily one on top of the other?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2009, 03:22 PM

If you're worried about wireless interference stacking drives on the mini or using metal shelves are equally bad. Get non-conductive (plastic, wood) shelves instead.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2009, 10:30 PM

Im not worried about wireless for the minis, only for the TC, as the minis will be connected via ethernet. im more concerned with heat from either device. I dont have enough space to put shelves in the space im using, perhaps i can rewire everything and make more space on the same level. (being lazy started the post)

ConfusedPUNK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2009, 12:16 AM

I just became a member of this website to tell you i read about something on another website, it seems to fit your needs perfectly.

im not sure if we can put a link on here so just change the hxxp-> http
hxxp://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1183.html

hope this helps!

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2009, 02:10 AM

I got some cheap silicon furniture feet and placed 8 on the top of the minis, which give me 3mm of clearance between the mini and the TC, so plenty of ventilation between them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules