Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows 7 ad hoc network connection with WPA2

Windows 7 ad hoc network connection with WPA2
ibook_steve
Mar 1, 2012, 02:17 PM

My brilliant IT department has just implemented what they are calling NAC: Network Access Control. Previously, I could use my personal MBP to access our internal network at work and do everything I needed (mostly through Parallels). However, as of this past Monday, I am completely locked out because of "NAC". I think it is some type of internal firewall implementation that allows only company-owned machines to access. I can't even VPN in!

In any event, after being pissed about it for a few minutes, I tried to see what I could do to get around this, using my company-owned IBM Lenovo T510. I thought about and tried Windows 7 ICS, sharing the wired internal connection over wifi. Well, I learned quickly that you can't even do this in Win 7! Argh! How do people work with this day in and day out? However, I did hit upon turning off ICS, bridging the wired and wireless connections, creating an ad hoc wireless network, and connecting the wireless side of the bridge to the ad hoc wireless network.

This worked! But only if I have wifi security turned off. If I enable WPA2 on the ad hoc network, I cannot connect my MBP. I immediately get an error when I enter the password with no explanation as to why I can't connect. This link seems to imply that this is a bug: Unable to connect my mac to a window 7 computer to computer network. - Microsoft Answers

Any ideas how to get this to work? I can't use something like Connectify or Virtual Router (I've tried) because it gives the MBP a 192.x.x.x address, instead of an address on my company's network. 192 gets me Internet access, but no access to internal resources.

Even better would be if someone knows how to hide the SSID for the ad hoc network.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ibook_steve  (op)
Mar 6, 2012, 03:52 AM

Oh, I was so hoping somebody here knew something about this. Or at least wanted to b*tch about their IT department.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

brafaeloliveira
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2012, 10:53 AM

I'm trying to find an elegant solution to this and the best I found until now is that it works if you change your windows ad-hoc network to WEP instead of WPA2.
I know, I don't like it either... If you find something better, please let me know.

Bruno

Forum Links
Forum Rules