Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5.0 vs. NS 4.72

IE 5.0 vs. NS 4.72
Nyarlathotep
Apr 23, 2000, 08:10 AM

I'd really like to know opinions regarding the performance of Netscape Communicator 4.72 vs. Internet Explorer 5.0. Areas like:

Speed
Stability
Features
That intangible feel you get when you know a product is just right.

Any opinions?

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2000, 09:28 AM

I can tell you that IE5 seems a whole lot faster than Netscape on my computer. The only area where Netscape is faster is in Java. IE5 is slightly less stable, it sometimes unexpectedly quits, but it never crashes the computer. IE5 has a few features Netscape doesn't (AutoFill, Customizeable Toolbars) but not very many more.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2000, 07:05 PM

For the most part, I think IE5 is much better than Netscape 4.7x. It's usually much faster on my iMac DV, and it takes up much less memory. Also, there is just something about the feel of Netscape that I don't like....but it's hard to pinpoint. Just kind of like that "Windows feel" that is just not up to par with the Macs. That's just my personal opinion, of course. Also, Netscape's download system really stinks.
and play the game existence to the end

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2000, 11:21 AM

Speed:
Overall, when i downloaded IE 5 and started using it, my download speeds nearly doubled! I used to get 2,000 bytes with 4.5 and now I get about 4,000-5,000 bytes with 5! But... When I upgraded to 9.0.4 it dropped to about 3,000-4,000 bytes a sec. I have a 56K.
Stability:
Questionable?! I've only had several sites crash on me for no reason that work just fine in Netscape 4.72. So, I'm not sure about the stability of IE 5. And yes, it does unexpectedly quit for no reason; usually without an alert from the Finder. It gets annoying. Fortunatly it only happens about once a week. In any case, just start it back up again! Problem gone...
Features:
IE 5 has a lot of great features!! The interface is terrific and looks a hell of a lot better than Netscape's GUI. I don't really use the Auction Manager but I assume it's pretty good. The interface is excellent. The ability to match the your computers color is neat'o, too! The download manager is also a great advantage over Netscape. It will show you all the downloads that you have recently downloaded and if a download stops because of a drop of the connection, it's easier to reestablish the connection with the server than it is with Netscape. Much easier!!

------------------
-- iPond317
All hail iMac DV
G4 Performance Leader
iBook #1 consumer laptop
Mac OS 9: Your Internet co-pilot
Power Mac G4 considered "super computer"
Think different.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2000, 05:32 PM

Overall, IE5 definitly has Netscape beat on bells and whistles, but not features. IE has filing Favorites on the fly, persistant history, Autofill, and better support for *some* web standards, which is great when they work. However, for day to day use, and extended browsing sessions, nothing beats Netscape's stability and internet horsepower.

I really don't care which adheres to W3C standards better. If it works, then it works. And Netscape simply works, and keeps working through all the Java, Javascript, and plug-ins I've thrown at it. IE just isn't a stable beast when it comes to real world browsing.

I prefer Netscape's feature set to IE's bells and whistles. Netscape supports full HTML mail including tables, multimedia files, graphics, and javascript, not just HTML text like Outlook Express. Netscape supports LiveConnect, allowing Java and Javascript to talk to your plug-ins, like with javascripted Flash menu's. Netscape also seems to be more plug-in friendly, in my experience and reading some of the problems IE has with Flash and RealPlayer that have been posted here.

I also prefer Netscape's integrated approach. One program using one memory partition, with email, newsgroups, composing, calender (if it's installed), and instant messaging (via AIM) all at my fingertips. It's much more stable for me than running IE, OE, NewsWatcher, and PageMill all at the same time and uses 1/4 the total memory.

I also prefer Netscape's cross platform performance. I can design a page that looks good on the Mac version, and it will appear almost identical with Win, Linux, Unix, or OS/2. I can also share Bookmarks, cookie files, and even email folders across platforms. I prefer Netscape on my work PC to IE and it's nice to see a familiar interface and similar functionality between Mac and Windows versions.

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2000, 03:38 PM

Ok, in order to give IE5 a fair shot, I've been running it since my last post. I've had stability problems in the past under 8.6, but now with clean install of 9.0.4 most of those problems seem to have been solved. In the past 3 days, and with substantial abuse and heavy Java work, IE has been remarkably stable with just a few momentary hangs and not a single freeze or crash. Having said that though, my machine will probably self-destuct.

Rendering speed on newly loaded pages are about the same with IE as with Netscape, and loading cashed pages is a no-contest. They snap back up with IE while NC wants to reload the page and get the latest banner ad *grumble* I've also noticed a huge difference in CSS and general appearance of many sites I visit daily, especially CNN, Yahoo! Chat, and even HotMail.

The Explorer Bar has come in handy and a working persistant history has saved me a lot of time when going back to frequently visited forums. The best thing is definitly the Favorites Tab, allowing filing of Favorites on the fly into whatever folder I want. IE also seems to open new windows faster than Netscape. I have noticed though that scrollbar colors on background apps will take on the Bondi scroller of IE while it's running. Quitting IE will make them return to my default color.

Overall, I kinda like it. I definitly like Outlook Express better than Messenger. I currently have IE and OE as the defaults and I think I'll leave it that way for a while. I still need the Composer in Netscape for my webpages, but that will probably change if I can ever afford PageMill.

iMac Rev. A 233/G3 - OS 9.0.4 - 96 Meg RAM

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules