Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > It's out, and it's good...

It's out, and it's good...
Vision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 03:35 PM

Well, after much anticipation, IE 5.0 is out for the Macintosh. My first impression : it's very cool. Rendering is definitely more accurate and faster (although it's difficult to gauge how much). The customized "look" is okay, but the customized toolbar is very elegant and neat. The Auction Manager is very savvy. It knows when you hit a auction site, and is incredibly straight forward.

As mentioned in previous postings, Kiosk mode isn't available, and the Media Toolbar didn't make the features cut in this release. Regardless, in my opinion this is a solid upgrade.

Vision  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 04:51 PM

Some people have encountered problems getting IE5, either file not found or a small file was downloaded instead. For a more direct link, try this one:
http://msvaus.www.conxion.com/downlo...n-us/ie5en.bin

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2000, 05:02 PM

I got 3.6 MB and then waiting for data followed by connection failure on the combined IE/OE url posted short time ago on MacNN http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ie5oe502en.bin

So maybe it got pulled, isn't ready, or something. Luckily IE can resume a download but if it doesn't work, I'll try the alternate - or have to wait for later.

Greg

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2000, 05:14 PM

I just got IE 5 and OE 502 and I must say! WOW! They've got transparent menu's and everything I'm impressed! I love M$'s Macintosh products...

Mac Guru

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 05:54 PM

Sometimes I wonder whether the people who make IE for Mac live on a different planet than the rest of Micro$oft. Since version 4 came out, I've almost completely abandoned Netscape, and IE 5 isn't likely to change that trend. The customized toolbar and text scaling are wonderful. I also like the simplified contextual menus (when you click on a link), among other things. Definitely worth downloading.

Vision  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 06:14 PM

One other nice feature is the ability to select text and "drag-and-drop" it into another application or onto the desktop. This is far more Mac like than IE 4.5, and makes it a lot easier to move text around. One small weird thing : when dragging text to the desktop, it appears as a text file. While many may like this, most programs use clippings (which I personally prefer). Either way, kudos to M$ for making IE5 the most Mac-like M$ program thus far.

shahineo
Mar 26, 2000, 06:16 PM

no, we don't live on another planet, we just work in a different state <g>. Mac IE and OE are done in Mountain View, CA...

------------------
--
Omar Shahine
MacOE Team

stephen barncard
Mar 26, 2000, 09:22 PM

APOLOGY

I was wrong. Sorry to explode. It was I who was outside of HTML standards, not MS.

Thanks to the Mac Explorer team to making a browser that is less tolerant of my bad code, and that REALLY does adhere to the 4.0 standard.

That will serve me right for assuming that Adobe Golive 4.01 or any WYSIWYG html editor can generate 'good' code.

This is leadership at it's best- a brave and forward move....

earlier reactive response, shamefully included.

> My first impressions of 5.0 are not good. You've added
> some nice features, but changed your HTML STANDARDS!!
>
> WHY ON EARTH did you decide to make the frame borders
> in 5.0 ALWAYS VISIBLE???? This ruins the layouts on ALL
> of my current sites -- and cuts off contents that were
> carefully aligned to JUST FIT in all browsers. Now my
> layouts look STUPID, thanks to the non-adherence to
> ESTABLISHED STANDARDS. Is Microsoft finally deciding to
> change the HTML standards?
>
> Also all of the scalable text shows 2 sizes too big!
> (yes, I know that I can use the 'larger and smaller'
> buttons, but that's not the point.)
>
> ALL OTHER BROWSERS do not do this. Netscape 4.6, IE 4.5
> and iCAB they look fine.
>
> I'm going to have to put a 'Don't View with IE 5.0' on
> my sites! This really sucks.....

stephen barncard mailto:[email protected]

Originally posted by shahineo:
no, we don't live on another planet, we just work in a different state <g>. Mac IE and OE are done in Mountain View, CA...

[This message has been edited by stephen barncard (edited 03-26-2000).]

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2000, 09:32 PM

Frame border isn't always visible. At least not on my designs. Maybe you're doing something wrong. The fonts are bigger because they render to 96dpi so they look the same on the Mac and Windows since many html developers who develop under windows use fonts that look really really tiny on the Mac.

jimmyg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 09:50 PM

Run your HTML through the HTML 4.0 validator at:
http://validator.w3.org

If it validates, we will render it correctly. Don't expect MacIE 5 to be as tolerant of bad HTML....just like MacOS X is less tolerant of bad programming (trashing memory, etc.).

Jimmy
MacIE Team

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 09:59 PM

Stephen:

Your pages use "border" attributes in the &lt;FRAMESET&gt; tags. This is incorrect; it should be frameborder=0, not border=0. It's not Microsoft's fault.

[This message has been edited by adamschneider (edited 03-26-2000).]

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 10:19 PM

NEWS FLASH: BIZARRE IE 5 QUIRK!

In my previous post, I told Stephen Barncard to watch what he puts in his &lt;FRAMESET&gt; tags... but I typed &lt;FRAMESET&gt; directly into my message without using the &amp;lt; and &amp;gt; entities, and with "HTML mode" turned on. So the HTML for the entire thread had a loose &lt;FRAMESET&gt; tag floating around in the middle of it. This caused all links to be inactive, and the page wouldn't scroll.

Granted, having &lt;FRAMESET&gt; sitting in the middle of your code would be VERY bad HTML, but I'm surprised Explorer choked on it so badly.

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2000, 10:20 PM

PS -- The page works now because I went back and edited my message by pulling the edit URL out of the source.

Anonymous Coward
Mar 26, 2000, 10:31 PM

Okay... is this the end of the world? Or did Microsoft just make the best browser in the world - platform be damned?

i never thought i'd see the day that i would extol a MS product like this...

IE 5.0 is extremely good in just about everything i've banged it with in the last 3 hours.

Frames, tables, multilanguages... i haven't tried the auction thing yet - but someone else above said that it was insane.

Tasman is amazingly fast... even Slashdot.org is fast now!

other than the goofy look and feel of the menu - i could live with just a plain window - i'm searching high and low to find something wrong with it... something to comment negatively about.....

i can't..

oh wait - one thing. You have to reinstall plug-ins.

Download this thing... period.

Imgumby
Mar 26, 2000, 10:46 PM

I.E 5.0 Sucks, all I get is Type 2 errors. I get a splash screen and that's it, next thing I'm looking at is a small box telling me that I.E 5.0 has quit because of a type 2 error. I tried using a base set of just OS 9 with the same results. So my vote is I.E 5.0 Sucks.....

Mar 26, 2000, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Imgumby:
I.E 5.0 Sucks, all I get is Type 2 errors. I get a splash screen and that's it, next thing I'm looking at is a small box telling me that I.E 5.0 has quit because of a type 2 error. I tried using a base set of just OS 9 with the same results. So my vote is I.E 5.0 Sucks.....
This may be a problem between the keyboard and the seat...

Cbrehmer
Mar 26, 2000, 11:10 PM

ie5 Simple, Fast, Elegant. Is this MacTopia or what?

anaon
Mar 26, 2000, 11:28 PM

3 things:

1) We can finally cycle through windows!!!! cmd-~

2) Where are the resources for the icons in the toolbar? I really need to change that "X" for the "Stop"-suprisingly the rest of the icons don't bother me that much

3) This is for anyone who worked on IE5. What the heck is "white rabbit"?

ok 4 things

4) Did anyone notice the change to the IE throbber? It's now one PICT that's 40x1680 pixels. That'll make changing the throbber soooo much easier.

Loving life w/ IE 5
Kevin

If only Windows was as good as this :-)

CosmicCEO
Mar 26, 2000, 11:37 PM

IE 5 and OE 5 are sublime. Upgrade was easy as pie under OS 9.0. Ran first time and continues to run all day.

Bonus for me: Audion 1.5 now works at my.mp3.com

cinder
Mar 27, 2000, 01:17 AM

Imgumby, make sure to delete all previous versions of IE5beta, including all related files in your system folder.

Most likely, it will fix your problem.

-cinder

Carpe Diem
Mar 27, 2000, 03:15 AM

So far, so good. I never really liked IE 4.5 that much, but IE 5 seems to have struck a chord with me. Has anyone else noticed that kind of OS X "Aqua" look the interface?

Matt Smith
Mar 27, 2000, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
This may be a problem between the keyboard and the seat...

That is an excellent comment - I must use that with the users of our network!

Jerry Kindall
Mar 27, 2000, 01:40 PM

The canonical form is PEBCAK, for Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard. Old, old jargon from the earliest days of system administration, possibly military.

Originally posted by Matt Smith:

That is an excellent comment - I must use that with the users of our network!

DiJitiL
Mar 27, 2000, 06:58 PM

This version of IE is fantastic. Love the collapsing sidebar and dropping URL with keyboard commands. Ultra

iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2000, 07:57 PM

Overall, I am very impressed. Finally you can drag a link to a folder in Favorites. Cut and paste HTML to a mail message is nice too. Still some JavaScript problems, but they are probably more to do with poor site programming than the browser.

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules