Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Convert Communicator 4.75 to OE 5

Convert Communicator 4.75 to OE 5
Richard Clark
Senior User
Aug 24, 2000, 01:02 PM

Ok, is this another case of "you can't play in my back yard" between Netscape and Microsoft?

When trying to convert my address book, sent and received messages from Communicator to Outlook 5.02 it doesn't bring them in. The folders are created but before I can see the "imported folders" there is always a message stating that OE couldn't complete the job and to try again later.

Has anyone had problems? I have a friend that said messages can't be converted. However, when the new version of OE came out a few months ago I was able to convert them. I decided to stay with Communicator and deleted everything. There's been at least two updates to communicator.

Could Netscape be trying to block address books and messages on their system from being converted? Considering the AIM fued this seems a possibility. Just speculation.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help ideas and comments!

[This message has been edited by Richard Clark (edited 08-24-2000).]
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Veerle
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2000, 02:22 PM

Maybe a dumb suggestion but did you shutdown Netscape before importing in Outlook Express ?

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Aug 24, 2000, 05:25 PM

Glad you asked. No, it's not a dumb question. Yes I did make sure that Netscape was off everytime I tried to import.

Would going back to an earlier version of Netscape help enable the information to be imported into Outlook Express???
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2000, 08:02 PM

Open the Netscape Address Book and select all you addresses using Cmd-A. Then just drag them to the desktop to create text clippings. Open OE and then the Address panel, then drag the clippings to the OE window. OE will concert the clippings to addresses. You may have to do some clean up as OE converts the first word as First Name and everything else as Last Name.

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules