Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Trouble

Car Trouble
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2004, 05:01 AM

My Subaru Outback wouldn't start tonight, after sitting idle for 12 hours or so. After jumping it to get it started, noticed the hazard lights stay on. Not blinking, but on even if the car is off and the key out.

I started checking fuses, and if I pull a certain fuse from the fuse-box in the engine compartment (labeled hazard in the manual) the hazards go off, put fuse back in, hazards go on.

The fuse appears to be in fine working condition. (visually)

I've pulled the fuse so we can start the car in the morning, and I'll get a replacement fuse, but the whole thing seems ass backwards. Aren't fuses supposed to *protect* you?

Oh, and the turn signals don't work.

Hope it's just the fuse, or we're in for 'electrical diagnostic hell'...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 08:01 AM

Well, you probably have a bad hazard switch, or worse, a bad turn signal switch if it is integrated. Also, check the hazard flasher. It might have welded itself on.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 11:40 AM

I have an older impreza and had to go through hell to get my signals working properly.

One day they stopped blinking, just stayed on when i tried to signal. The next day they stopped working all together. What you probably need is a new signal relay. They cost 45 dollars from the dealer or $13.50 from an auto parts store. I won't get into the hell the dealers put me through just for the stupid relay, but I would definitely recommend just going to your local auto store.

If you have trouble finding where the relay is located try looking behind your stereo. I searched for over a week for info on where it was located and there was nothing on the net. Finally after quite a few hours of hunting under the dash I pulled the stereo and there it was.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 11:45 AM

Good luck AKcrab, hopefully you will have a good diagnostician for a mechanic. I hope that it will only be the fuse.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
My Subaru Outback wouldn't start tonight, after sitting idle for 12 hours or so. After jumping it to get it started, noticed the hazard lights stay on. Not blinking, but on even if the car is off and the key out.
Are you saying you left the engine running for 12 hours strait? Just curious because the word "idle" means the engine is running at its lowest rpm. For instance, when you are sitting at a red light your engine is idling.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by iMOTOR:
Are you saying you left the engine running for 12 hours strait? Just curious because the word "idle" means the engine is running at its lowest rpm. For instance, when you are sitting at a red light your engine is idling.
Oops. Bad choice of words. The car was off for 12 hours, but the lights were on...
Why didn't I notice? Cause it's light till 11pm these days.

It's not the fuse, so we're off to a mechanic.

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 05:15 PM

My flashers did a similiar thing. Turns out it was the flasher relay. Fixed that and it works fine. Good luck!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
My flashers did a similiar thing. Turns out it was the flasher relay. Fixed that and it works fine. Good luck!
yeah, sounds like the blinker to me. nothing to turn on and off, just the constant on.

AK- if you have the hazards off, and you turn on the turn signal, does it turn on (like just a solid light..)?

if this does end up being the relay/blinker, then you can replace this EASILY should be in the kick panel by your feet. i think they run about $15 at napa.

much luck.
D.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 06:28 PM

Maybe it's time to replace your blinker fluid.

I actually got a girl in my high school to go to a gas station and have her blinker fluid level checked when her turn signal went out.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
yeah, sounds like the blinker to me. nothing to turn on and off, just the constant on.

AK- if you have the hazards off, and you turn on the turn signal, does it turn on (like just a solid light..)?
D.
The hazards are on steady unless I have removed that fuse, the hazards blink if I press the hazard button while the fuse is in...
The blinkers, however, won't work with or without the fuse in...
Does that narrow anything down?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
The hazards are on steady unless I have removed that fuse, the hazards blink if I press the hazard button while the fuse is in...
The blinkers, however, won't work with or without the fuse in...
Does that narrow anything down?
so wait, the blinkers do nothing when you flip the stick up or down? not even light up for a second? they might not stay on, but if they come on for second, i think things might be a lot better for you. you can check this by getting a friend to look. no friend- face a wall, or the tailgate of another car to see if they light up in the reflection.

and as far as the hazards go- they only blink when you turn the switch on and off (meaning that you are the one doing the blinking)??

do i have this right?

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2004, 07:14 PM

do i have this right?
Crap.

I just had my other half help me troubleshoot, and the car is behaving different now than earlier today.

Turn signals are now fine.

With the fuse in, the hazards stay on steady, no blink, (front and rear) even with the car off. With the fuse in, everything else seems to work fine, including blinking hazards if I push the hazard button. (They start blinking on an off.)

With the fuse out, *everything* behaves normal.

*sigh* I hate cars.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 07:46 PM

but the fuse isnt blown? weird. did it rain last night? maybe there is moisture in there that is finally drying out.

i'm outta ideas. especially once machines (the wonderful exercises they are in logic) START FIXING THEMSELVES

...and i have a huge econ final in the morn. much luck bro.

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2004, 07:49 PM

but the fuse isnt blown? weird. much luck bro.
Thanks. The fuse is fine, I tried a spare.
This is why there are mechanics in the world.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 08:56 PM

Find the box with all of the relays, sometimes under the hood, one inch square cubes mostly black/blue/other colors.

Now start car, run all lights, etc.

Now, lightly/firmly whack all of the relays with the handle of a screwdriver, repeat if necessary, and see if problems is fixed.

If that doesn't work,I'm out of ideas
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 10:02 PM

My car didn't want to start in the morning, like 2 weeks ago. I did many things like tapping the battery, checking the fuses, etc.

Then I thought maybe the starter motor needed a bit of a rotation. Then I shitfed into R (automatic) using the key in the shiftstick. I pushed it backward by a foot. Then I tried to start it, and it worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules