Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2010 Mac Pros can support 64 Gb of RAM

2010 Mac Pros can support 64 Gb of RAM
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 03:21 AM

Here's the OWC article: OWC Confirms 2010 Mac Pro Dual Processor Models Can Use 64GB RAM | Other World Computing Blog

The interesting thing is that the 8 Gb module only costs as much as two 4 Gb modules.

Interesting: at OWC a 8 GB module doesn't cost more than two 4 Gb modules, while at Crucial the 8 Gb modules cost about a third more than two 4 Gb modules.

PS: I always bought crucial RAM. How's OWC's quality, compared to crucial? Crucial's RAM is more than 30% more expensive. And is Kingston somewhere in between?
( Last edited by Veltliner; Aug 25, 2010 at 03:30 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2010, 09:02 AM

Nice confirmation. The chips support 16GB modules (about $1250/ea), but I don't know if Apple has allowed them.

P
Aug 27, 2010, 04:09 AM

You keep saying that Apple has to "allow" upgrades. How often do the disallow, or try to block, updates of the MP? As far as I know, the one upgrade that was not possible for firmware support reasons was putting a quad Xeon 5300 series in the original MP. My homebuilt HTPC, built around the same time, also didn't allow installation of quads even if the hardware supported it. Pretty soon after the Kentsfield launch there was a firmware update enabling quads from the motherboard manufacturer, but that's because I bought a board from a manufacturer that lives on enthusiasts who upgrade their machines. I very much doubt that it was an artificial block - the board needed some sort of update to work with the quads. Do you expect Apple to make such a firmware update to enable a CPU they don't use? Does any OEM?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2010, 03:27 PM

I'm not talking about CPU upgrades. I'm talking about support for memory chips that are available and supported by the components Apple is using.

P
Sep 2, 2010, 11:47 AM

Yes, I know, but do you have any examples of Apple not allowing memory chips supported by its hardware?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ooglie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2010, 04:16 AM

PS: I always bought crucial RAM. How's OWC's quality, compared to crucial? Crucial's RAM is more than 30% more expensive. And is Kingston somewhere in between?
I have used OWC 8GB RAM in my Mac Pro and been using it since last 14odd months and have had no issues with it and it performs without any problem. Apple too detected the chip in the first go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules