Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Data recovery, Urgent

Data recovery, Urgent
rabinzx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2011, 03:44 AM

I was helping a friend deleting windows 7 on his bootcamp. She told me after that, merge the empty space back to Mac volume. The computer is Macbook in 2008~09, 160 toshiba hard drive, running leopard. While deleting, I notice the volume of location where win7 installed is kind of wired.

the bootcamp volume is located within Leopard's volume, and every time the computer restart, the "bootcamp" volume will show up on the desktop (even if I turned off SHOW hard disk on desktop in Finder).
And there is another small volume with bootcamp volume ( I remember it was 100mb)

First I checked bootcamp, and it didn't give me nothing, so I decided format the bootcamp volume along with the small volume.
Right after I delete the bootcamp volume, the system gives me error message. I thought it was because the small volume, so I delete the small one too. Then the two volume were combined.

next, I tried merge the empty volume into Mac's volume in Disk Utility, but system says "this partition canot be modified" so I have to restart see if it would let me merge after restart.
Just for the record, at this moment, the Mac system was perfectly fine.

After restart, screen says "error, cannot find system", so I tried Leopard installation CD, log into disk utility.
It shows ONLY one volume (the one I formated - bootcamp) under hard drive. And the size of it is 159gb out of 160gb.
I clearly remember the distribution before reboot was:
Hard Drive:
1. Mac - 99GB
2. Empty (bootcamp) - 60gb

Guess what? My friend just recall she had some important picture stuck in iPhoto.

Now, I am trying to recovery the volume by connecting the 2.5" notebook drive to my PC, but waiting for shipping of a 2.5/3.5 HDD adapter?

I know there is some command under Terminal that can fix some volume issues. But I dont know exactly what they are. Additional, I never used the "erase" function while formatting.

What should I do now? Can someone point me to the correct direction? What is the chance I recovering those pictures?

OreoCookie
Nov 27, 2011, 09:17 AM

Please do not cross post. Since the discussion takes place in the other thread, I'm closing this one … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules