Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSA: Watch for odd stuff today!

PSA: Watch for odd stuff today!
Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2012, 09:59 AM

They're adding a Leap Second today at midnight UTC. The Powers That Be evaluate when to add (or subtract) one every six months, but this is the first time since 1997 they're adding one in June. Which means that most of the software you use on a daily basis was written since then, and probably assumes leap seconds only happen in December. But it gives me an excuse to start a thread.

It will happen at the same time all over the world. So, it could be mid-day depending on where you are. Eastern Daylight Time (where I am) is 4 hours behind UTC currently, so it will happen here at 8 PM today (Saturday).

What will happen when this one occurs? Probably nothing, and if anything does happen, it will likely correct itself in a few seconds. (If your cell phone provider is lazy and didn't test their network for it, you might find your call gets dropped. Boo Hoo.) But even if something worse happens, you all have your Y2K bunkers still well-stocked, right?

What are you going to do with your extra second today?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2012, 10:23 AM

I'm going to...

Oh, its gone now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2012, 05:04 PM

Hah! It's Armageddon! Some folks weren't able to get to Gawker or Reddit for a few minutes and had to actually go outside!

'Leap Second' Bug Wreaks Havoc Across Web | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules