Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Suggestion for car wired FM modulator

Suggestion for car wired FM modulator
ibook_steve
Jan 17, 2013, 09:25 PM

Last month, I left my wireless Motorola Bluetooth car speakerphone (that could be used as a wireless FM modulator) in a rental car and I just found out that it is now truly lost. So I'm looking at wired options from Schosche, Audiovox, iSimple, etc. for my car that does not have AUX input. Does anybody use any of these with their iPhone/iPod and recommend any of them? Amazon has most of them under $50 but I have no idea which is the best, and Amazon reviews don't help that much.

I have no problems with the installation, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,
Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2013, 09:45 AM

I have a Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter and Auto Charger for iPod (Black) I bought and another type a friend gave me and they're ok but since I got a new Nano it won't charge it so it may as well be wireless. The best FM transmitter I've run into is on my Garmin GPS. I store mp3s on an SD card and it puts out plenty of power of overpower almost any local channel. Other than the Garmin FM transmitter I've been unimpressed with wired FM transmitters in general.
( Last edited by cgc; Jan 18, 2013 at 06:30 PM. )
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

ibook_steve  (op)
Jan 18, 2013, 10:26 PM

I don't think you quite got what I'm talking about. I'm talking about an FM modulator that attaches to the antenna input of the stock radio in my car and adds an auxiliary in jack so I can connect my iPhone to my radio with a wired connection. As I said, I had been using a wireless modulator that was part of my Motorola bluetooth speakerphone (with car visor clip), but I lost it and it didn't work very well anyway, mostly because there are very few empty broadcast frequencies here in Silicon Valley.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I don't think you quite got what I'm talking about. I'm talking about an FM modulator that attaches to the antenna input of the stock radio in my car and adds an auxiliary in jack so I can connect my iPhone to my radio with a wired connection. As I said, I had been using a wireless modulator that was part of my Motorola bluetooth speakerphone (with car visor clip), but I lost it and it didn't work very well anyway, mostly because there are very few empty broadcast frequencies here in Silicon Valley.

Steve
Oh...didn't know they made FM modulators that attach directly to your antenna. If you're willing to go that route, I have seen other devices that provide an audio (e.g. 3.5mm mini-plug) plug and connect into your car stereo's wiring harness. Might be another option.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Forum Links
Forum Rules