Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lid Closed Operation

Lid Closed Operation
SillyMe
May 17, 2002, 11:32 PM

The MacWorld review of the Ti800 explicitely stated that it can operate with the lid closed, thus freeing up video resources for an external display. Has anyone tried this yet, and where do you set the option of closed=on vs closed=sleep setting?

SM

CJM
Forum Regular
May 18, 2002, 03:41 AM

All powerbooks can do this, i dont think it's anything new. You need to plug in an external keyboard, mouse, display, and be plugged into AC power. You can then close the lid and operate the machine like a regular desktop model.

H * � �
May 18, 2002, 12:22 PM

The Wallstreet PB won't do it by design, nor will the Revision B <550/667Mhz> G4 PB at OS 10.1.3 or 4.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 18, 2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by CJM:
<STRONG>All powerbooks can do this, i dont think it's anything new. You need to plug in an external keyboard, mouse, display, and be plugged into AC power. You can then close the lid and operate the machine like a regular desktop model.</STRONG>
It's not that simple. The first two versions of the Ti-Book go to sleep when the lid is closed in OSX because there is no option to disable sleep when the lid is closed. So to get closed lid operation you have to boot the machine up with the lid open, then attach the monitor and peripherals and then close the lid. This isn't always guaranteed to work.

sMACk
May 18, 2002, 07:44 PM

My TiBook 800 works great with my cinema display. It tucks in nicely under the ACD. Haven't had any problems closing it and connecting to my monitor, works like a charm

[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: sMACk ]

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 09:57 AM

I have always thought that running the machine with the lid closed was a bad idea. Look at how much heat radiates from the keyboard. What will happen to the internal components if the heat can't escape?

All I know is that if I push my PowerBook hard enough, it can get really really hot. My personal opinion is that you will shorten the life of the components greatly with all the built up heat.

Does anyone have any other views?

-John
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

Macola
Mac Elite
May 19, 2002, 11:08 AM

Works fine with my Ti/400, external USB keyboard (from an old iMac), and monitor. Heat is dissipated mostly through the vents (and with the fan on the original TiBooks). However, if you're concerned about that, just crack open the lid a little.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Peter64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2002, 12:44 PM

"thus freeing up video resources for an external displayFor Pismo"

this works like this:
1. press power
2. watch backlight flickering of internal display then gently close lid
3. watch external monitor starting up, watch sys extensions displayed
- this is the moment where you have to decide on the use of internal components (mouse pad and keyboard)
- if you want to use them, you have to open up your lid NOW, BEFORE all extensons are loaded! same if you just want your device to be cooler
"However, if you're concerned about that, just crack open the lid a little"
- if you deside to use optinally connected keyboards and mouse you can leave it closed.

All video RAM is attributed now to the external diplay

Attention: if you open the lid after all extensions are loaded the internal display will start up and thus will be using some of the video RAM.

Please tell me if it works on your Ti

sMACk
May 19, 2002, 02:11 PM

"I have always thought that running the machine with the lid closed was a bad idea. Look at how much heat radiates from the keyboard. What will happen to the internal components if the heat can't escape?"

Apple manual:
"Important: Keep the PowerBook's internal display open at a 90 degree or greater angle when your Powerbook is attached to an external display and running in dual display or video mirroring mode. This allows for proper air circulation over the keyboard and assists with heat dissipation"

They put this note right after they explain how to use the PowerBook with the display closed

I've been keeping the lid open but even with the lid closed I rarely hear the fan come on.

KellyHogan
Banned
May 19, 2002, 03:33 PM

There should be a control to turn off the LCD when attached to a monitor. Windows utlities from companies like ATI have the options to switch dynamically to various external displays without boots and reboots.

If the option existed I would keep the Ti-Book open at 90 degrees and stand it up on its side. It looks really cool. Like a thin desktop.

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 08:47 PM

10.2 BRINGS BACK CLOSED LID OPERATION TO REV B TIBOOKS!!!!!! i have a 667 and WOW it is so silky smooth. i cant stop using it, ichat is absolutely incredible.

KellyHogan
Banned
May 20, 2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Kaner:
<STRONG>10.2 BRINGS BACK CLOSED LID OPERATION TO REV B TIBOOKS!!!!!! i have a 667 and WOW it is so silky smooth. i cant stop using it, ichat is absolutely incredible.</STRONG>
You mean there is an option you can tick?

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2002, 10:05 AM

No, it just works. I looked for an option but it doesnt have one. Im glad it works tho!

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2002, 12:11 PM

I'm hoping its working because they let us have it back, but it also might be because they just haven't implemented the disabler like they did in 10.1.3. However, ive been playing with it and i just tryed starting up with the lcd display only and then pluging in my monitor, then i closed my lcd and hit the space bar on my usb keyboard and BAMB my external monitor pops up like its supposed to! Im in the process of backing up my music so i can put 10.2 on my ti hard drive, i dont care if its not done i want it now!!!!

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: Kaner ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules