Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Break free of Photos/iPhoto?

Break free of Photos/iPhoto?
Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2015, 01:17 PM

I am an idiot.

I learned too late that you cannot merge multiple libraries in the new Photos application. My wife has about 5 iPhotos libraries that she wants all in one place.

Is there any such thing as a application I can import all of of my Photos and iPhoto libraries into while preserving meta-data? Free or inexpensive would be ideal, but I'm not opposed to spending money to sort this out.

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2015, 11:04 PM

Aperture can combine multiple libraries (you can import them), and Photos can then import Aperture's library. However, Aperture is neither free nor is it available still. But I reckon it's the easiest way to go about this.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Aperture can combine multiple libraries (you can import them), and Photos can then import Aperture's library. However, Aperture is neither free nor is it available still. But I reckon it's the easiest way to go about this.
So, any thoughts on how to get my hands on Aperture?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2015, 01:41 PM

iPhoto library manager from Fat Cat Software will merge multiple iPhoto libraries. Cheaper than Aperture. You could then reimport the merged libraries into Photos?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2015, 02:50 PM

Have you thought about using something other than iPhoto/Photos?

The way Apple's photo applications handle libraries is unnecessarily complex and makes it pretty difficult to recover your stuff if your library ever craps out (e.g. the software can't read it anymore). You might take a look at Picasa or something similar, which uses a normal directory structure to organize your photos.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules