Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Automating the opening of a file

Automating the opening of a file
blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2008, 12:44 PM

Hi,

I am on a rather slow connection, and I am trying to download a large disk image (Debian) with Tomato Torrent. I don't want the download to run during the day, so I just close Tomato Torrent when I wake up and check my email. However, I usually forget to restart it at night. Is there a way to automate this using Automator or AppleScript? All I need is that the torrent file is opened at a specific time of the night. Please let me know if this is possible

lzrees89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 07:38 PM

Believe it or not iCal may be what you want to use. First, set an event to repeat every day at the time you want the program or file to open. Next, set the program to open when the even occurs. You can see how to do that here

Just in case you didn't know - you don't need to keep iCal open all the time for this to work.

blackstar  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2008, 10:37 AM

Izres,

That was a great tip. It works already. Thank you so much.

lzrees89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2008, 10:40 AM

No problem - I thought that was a very cool way to open a file/app when I first saw how to do that, it comes in handy a lot

Forum Links
Forum Rules