Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > my first mac

my first mac
mary chat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 06:56 PM

I've always had windows ,this is my first imac It didn't come with a mouse can I get into programs without it? its a imac9 and is there a website that will show me all I can do with it?
MJC

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 08:09 PM

Well, what kind of iMac is it? Is it a flat panel or one of the colored iMacs, what color, is it a clear color or a frosted color. This will help us narrow down which one you have. I am assuming this is not a new iMac b/c you didn't get a mouse with it. You have to get a mouse, they come pretty cheap theses days, any usb mouse will work, but I would recommend and optical one, no cleaning of the ball. I am not sure about what website would be helpful for you with OS 9 install, but I am sure someone else can help you there. The folks here are pretty helpful, just give us some more information like the questions above. But definately get a mouse.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2003, 08:12 AM

Welcome to macs!

First you need a mouse. If you already have an USB mouse for a windows pc, you can use that one to begin with. (Not all pc's use USB for mouse though.)

Select "About this Mac" from the Apple menu to learn how much memory the computer has. Even better, look for the program called Apple System Profiler. This should give you some information on the model you have. If you post some of that info here, it's easier to help with suggestions on what to do with the iMac.

mary chat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 09:08 AM

It's a colored imac,does that matter? and there is two usb slots one on each side of the keyboard what are they?I can't get into the programs to find out what year it is or how many megs there are and why two phone slots on the moniter?Is there a floppy disk to this ?my husband got it from his friend it looks like its new.but then again I don't know ANYTHING about a apple let alone a imac
MJC

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 10:50 AM

If it doesn't have a mouse, you should be able to run out to any computer store and pick up a basic USB mouse (from any manufacturer) for only a small amount of cash. You can then stick it into one of the USB ports on the keyboard, if you want.

To find out what model of iMac you have, you can usually go to the Apple menu (once you have your mouse, at least) and click "About this Mac." It may not tell you specifically that it's an iMac, but it may mention things like the processor ("266 MHz PowerPC G3" for example) depending on which version of the Mac operating system it's using. It will also usually tell you how much memory there is.

To access programs? You should see a Macintosh HD icon on the desktop. Once you have a mouse, double-click that Macintosh HD icon. You'll usually see a window open up which shows the folders on the disk. There's typically an Applications folder which contains most of the programs. If you want to run a program, double-click the Applications folder and then double-click the icon for the program itself.

iMacs (and most any Mac released since the iMac) don't have floppy drives. This isn't necessarily a problem, of course, because these days Internet access and USB devices take care of a lot of things. Files small enough to fit on a floppy disk can usually be e-mailed to someone. If your iMac is new enough, though, you might have a CD-RW (CD rewriter) drive - in which case you could burn files to CD before sending them over.

Those aren't actually two "phone slots" on the side of the computer. One of them, the smaller one, *is* for a dial-up modem, but the other is for an Ethernet (networking) connection. You use Ethernet for doing things like hooking up to a local network in your home, or connecting to a high-speed Internet connection (like a cable modem or DSL box).

If you need extra help, there should be a Help menu which includes a MacOS Help option, or something similar. The help files will probably be able to explain a lot of things to you.

Macs (and the iMac in particular) are definitely different than what most Windows users are familiar with, but don't worry - they're designed to be fairly easy to use and share some similarities.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by mary chat:
It's a colored imac,does that matter? and there is two usb slots one on each side of the keyboard what are they?I can't get into the programs to find out what year it is or how many megs there are and why two phone slots on the moniter?Is there a floppy disk to this ?my husband got it from his friend it looks like its new.but then again I don't know ANYTHING about a apple let alone a imac
The two phone jacks are for connecting to the internet or a network in your home (so you could transfer files from a PC to the Mac and back, for example.)

One is a phone jack, because the modem is built-in. The other one that is larger is ethernet, and this is useful for cable, dsl, and in home networking.

Does the CD load with a tray that pops out, or is it a thin slot that you slide the cd into?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

mary chat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 01:27 PM

the cd slot is in the front all you do is slide it in
MJC

mary chat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 01:31 PM

I forgot to ask what are the slots on the sides of the mini keyboard?
MJC

runningdog
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by mary chat:
I forgot to ask what are the slots on the sides of the mini keyboard?
Those are USB ports where you can plug in a USB mouse on either side for a left or right handed person.

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 05:29 PM

Slot loading iMac with a mini keyboard. I don't think a the slot loading iMacs had the smaller keyboards so it might have gotten swapped out, but that is OK. About the color, I am trying to narrow down exactly which computer you have, is it:

Blueberry (bluish/green)
Grape (purple)
Lime (brighter green)
Strawberry

Sage (green)
Ruby (red)
Indigo (blue)
Snow (white)
Graphite (gray)

Blue with Spots
Flowers

mary chat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 07:27 PM

Its indigo
MJC

hew
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2003, 11:43 AM

I would suggest going to someplace like CompUSA and picking yourself up a nice Logitech USB mouse or if you're not looking to spend a whole lot just get a generic one for like $5. Once you have your mouse you just plug it in on one of the USB ports on the keyboard depending on which hand you use. Then just click on the Apple in the top left and select About this Mac from the list, which should be the first selection. That window will tell you what speed(mhz) the machine is and how much memory(RAM) it has. My guess is a 600mhz G3 with 128mb of RAM, but I may be wrong. And someone may have added more RAM to the machine. Hope this helps.. and goodluck

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2003, 08:00 AM

seriously. If you have been using windows for a good while I'll assume you know a few things about computing. The crt indigo iMac you have there is a very user friendly computer. Get your usb mouse and plug it in and start using the thing. You figure things out when you take your time exploring it.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2003, 03:42 PM

Actually the keyboard DOES go with that computer, it's probably a 400mhz/450mhz DVSE.

And I'm onyl going to repeat. Go to the store and tell them you need a cheap usb mouse, doesn't matter if it's optical or regular, whatever it is should do the job.

Welcome to 2003, those little slots on your keyboard are not only for keyboards and mice but work with printers, scanners, cameras, and many other things for both mac AND pc

Anyway, welcome aboard! Once you have that mouse.. you'll be ready to have some fun
Aloha

mary chat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2003, 04:57 PM

Thank you for helping me ,I do need alot of help Im hoping its a good up to date computer
MJC

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2003, 01:43 AM

We like answering your questions, so don't feel uncomfortable inquiring about anything.

Go get that mouse now

suprz
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 07:16 AM

also while your in compusa, pick up a book by robert pogue called "the imac for dummies book" it is the best source of apple/imac info for newbies. it saved my newbie a** many times when i had my first first apple computer (slot loading imac 350mhz) ahhh....those were the days.....
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 27, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by suprz:
also while your in compusa, pick up a book by robert pogue called "the imac for dummies book" it is the best source of apple/imac info for newbies. it saved my newbie a** many times when i had my first first apple computer (slot loading imac 350mhz) ahhh....those were the days.....
DAVID pogue, not Robert. And if she's not using OS 9, then she'll want the OS X Missing Manual by the same author.

Mary, if you want help you can always join the #macnn irc channel and ask for help there- it's a wild bunch, but we'll answer your questions more quickly (real-time chat)
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules