Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Celebration - moving up on Seti@home

Celebration - moving up on Seti@home
Billy
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2008, 11:44 AM

Thanks in large part to A. Kan's optimized application for the Macintosh, Team MacNN looks to be moving up not 1, but 2 places this week on Seti@home. Thank you Alex.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2008, 12:48 PM

Yes Indeed.

Sad thing is if you look at the SETI membership page for this team we have 1368 members with only 173 active. Also, it looks like we lost some big crunchers but also gained some. Hopefully it balances out. Right now we do not have a lot of big crunchers. Only 7 over 10000 a day and 39 over 1000 (including the 7). That makes it look like we only have a small group with newer machines that can really kick out those WUs.

With that said, going up is a great thing.

For my part, I finally got my hands on a Mac Pro Dual Quad Core at 2.8 in the last 2 weeks and that thing smokes. Since it's so new I don't even know exactly how fast it's crunching yet (looks like they end up around 10000-11000). Then I put together a Gateway Hackintosh system at home from a machine I saw at Tiger Direct refurbed at $230 (E4300 Core 2 Dual @ 1.8 - Intel 945G MB). I added a $60 HD for Vista (it came with the machine). Next step is to make the chip mod to 2.4 Ghz (change FSB from 800 to 1066). and it should go from the 2000 a day I think its doing now to about 3000. I just need $50 of memory and should be good for a while until I decide to put a E4700 (2.6 Ghz) in and boost it's FSB to 3.45 Ghz. These new Intel chips are impressive overclockers.

Anyway, I think my churn has gone from about 1500-2000 a day (with all my old Macs and PCs) to about 15000. Hopefully this will help. I would like to get my hands on the 3 other 8 core Mac Pros where I am at, but don't have access yet. ;-)

Well lets all just keep going. It looks like SETI has more than enough work for us.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2008, 12:53 PM

Oh, my accounting for users speed is from the teamstats.macnn.com site. It averages the RAC over a shorter time (8 days vs. 30 days???) so you see your improvements faster.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 06:44 PM

I am dropping my laptop out of production, but have upgraded my game machine to a E6550 2.33. With the new AK_Windows_V8, it might hit about 2000 or more. The iMac is already running around 2000.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2008, 08:59 PM

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
May 22, 2008, 11:00 AM

arkayn,

I saw that last night and was going to comment on it. From what I can tell you are one of the few people that have been picked lately that are crunching with any significance. Fora long time I would check out the member of the day and often they were not even crunching anything or had not been crunching for years.

Enjoy your spotlight day (for what it's worth). ;-)

Now a note on my Hackintosh I mentioned above:

I could not wait for the RAC on it to stabilize but it was clearly below what I thought initially and was likely closer to 1200, but last weekend I did the overclocking to 2.4 Ghz (with a window defogger repair kit) and it only raised the CPU Temp 2-3 degrees under full SETI load. Now it is looking to be heading close to 2000 a day RAC, but that all depends on so many other things. I guess I will see in a couple weeks. The Quad Core from work is still working itself up a month and half later as far as RAC (around 9200+). The Hackintosh is not perfect, but fairly close and great for a $300 machine. Cheaper and more expandable that a MINI.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2008, 11:54 AM

Both of my computers are running around 1900-2000 a day. Nice to be running Alex's worker on both of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules