Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Generic PCI cards in PowerMac G4 etc

Generic PCI cards in PowerMac G4 etc
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 02:53 AM

Hi, I was wondering whether you could help me with some questions on upgrading a Digital Audio G4/466. I got the machine for free and need to upgrade it for use on a database project we are doing. I want to put in a new PCI hard drive controller, probably SATA, so that I can use large drives. I also wanted to add USB2. I am on a REALLY tight budget and so am looking for cheap (but ok) cards. Do generic USB and SATA cards generally work in G4 towers? Do combo (USB & SATA) cards generally work? Mac specific cards seem pricey in NZ, where I live.

Eventually, I want to earn enough to get some kind of speed boost out of this thing! I found a guy who sells flashed Radeon 9800's. They have DVI and VGA dual output. They are cheap and really my only option short of a cheap PCI Rage or Radeon (which wont add Core Image support etc) for dual monitors. Should I risk it? I won't get onto processor upgrades but I will look when I have money (I'm thinking single G4 7455 upgrade, possibly 1.2Ghz).

By the way, this thing will be writing DVD's (already have pioner DVR-108), Web dev., large filemaker projects, and if I get a later upgrade card, sound editing.
Thanks for the help. Please don't write back and suggest I get a mini. (I've seen this done a lot). It just isn't an option at the moment if you take into consideration NZ prices, my needs etc. Cheers, P. Carter
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 08:32 AM

Standard PC SATA cards will not work in a Mac. Unfortunately, if you want to add SATA or more IDE, you have to pay the extra mac tax.

A lot of USB cards will work fine. I have had better luck with the NEC chipset cards than the Via chipset cards.

And the flashed 9800s are an excellent card for your system. Just don't buy them off of ebay from a guy named "mac_geniuses" or "Im_a_mac_user" or something like that.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2006, 01:49 AM

Thanks. At least SATA cards don't seem too expensive at macsales. I'm pleased to hear the 9800's are worth it, so appreciate your help.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

Kifwalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigBadBiologist
And the flashed 9800s are an excellent card for your system. Just don't buy them off of ebay from a guy named "mac_geniuses" or "Im_a_mac_user" or something like that.

Better advice might be to not listen to BigBadBiologist who seems to promote the strangedogs ebay sellers here I noticed.

So lets compare their ebay feedback just to make sure he's right...

Strangedogs.com Moderator vs. mac_geniuses

ok, that didn't turn out good. So lets try another Strangedogs moderator...

Ooops, strangedogs looks bad again. ok, lets try yet another strangedogs moderator...

Once again, sketchy feedback and really nasty comments for only the strangedogs moderators.

Wow, I think you've been infected with a dangerous chemical toxin or something BigBadBiologist and were not thinking clearly when you typed above.

Otherwise, you wouldn't have given such blatently bad advice, now would you? :-)

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 12:58 PM

I do promote strangedogs because those guys do some great work and because of that, I got a 9800 pro working in my mac for $60. I do not promote their eBay sellers. I also don't turn around and sell their work like some people do. Hmm. Who could I be referring to?

Kifwalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBiologist
I do promote strangedogs because those guys do some great work and because of that, I got a 9800 pro working in my mac for $60. I do not promote their eBay sellers. I also don't turn around and sell their work like some people do. Hmm. Who could I be referring to?
I'm confused. How could you not be promoting the strangedogs.com ebay sellers?

Or did you mean to say the strangedogs.com ebay sellers/moderators Amacapart, Tewlboy, Yoyomarv, & Honor_dj are turning around and selling other people's work too?

Oh yes, they all definitely profit from free information submitted & given out at strangedogs.com.
Could you explain to me why thats any different ?

And if you haven't noticed, quite a few moderators have quit or been forced out over there.
It's not a coincidence. Some of them have probably sold their secrets for a better offer.
Do you blame them ? Would you want to be associated with all of that horribly bad Strangedogs ebay feedback ? Probably not I would imagine.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 06:47 PM

I've mentioned the strangedogs web site several times as a source of good info. I've never mentioned anyone's name. I still don't know exactly who's who among he strangedog crew when it comes to eBay and I don't care. But this is totally off topic and if you want to continue this discussion, PM me or start a topic in the lounge.

james3
Jun 11, 2006, 06:37 PM

Mac_Geniuses = Im_a_Mac_User = Norwitcher = Mitch

for the mitch vs, strangedogs saga, check out:

http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/i...1796948&page=1

And, which is really funny, because Mitch pretends to be different people on the same board and gets caught...

http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/...pic=24607&st=0

But, honestly, why would you pay anyone to a flash a card for you when it's easy to do it yourself
Regardless IMHO, mac_geniuses seems incredibly dodgy, retek and powerbox seem to have fairly professional operations, and strangedogs can get you the cutting edge stuff that you cannot find elsewhere and beats the pants of Apple's OEM stuff... ( http://www.barefeats.com/mutant4.html )

Forum Links
Forum Rules