Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Lightsabers on Mac.

Lightsabers on Mac.
LastLine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 08:18 PM

Hey everyone,

Quick question which a search didn't pull up much for, but does anyone know of a way of making lightsabers simply in a basic video? I'm running a small home video for a scout camp with a star wars theme and want to try and add these to it.

I;m using a mac with certainly imovie and I believe final cut (not checked out the disk I have yet - lent from a friend - unsure on whether it works or not)

As I say don't want anything major, but remembered the whole Star Wars Kid phase and wondered if I could emulate that.

Thanks in Advance.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 09:21 PM

Wow, those were the days of me and my friends beating eachother senseless with sticks on camera and putting lightsaber effects in later.

Anyway, there are several ways to do it. All of them are pretty complicated as it involves a process called rotoscoping, which basically means that you paint each frame individually. One way to do it is to export your movie as an "Image Sequence." This will export each frame individually and then you can bring it into photoshop and easily paint over the rods or sticks frame by frame then bring it back into QuickTime and it will play as a movie file. That's probably the simplets way.

The other way involves an incredibly complicated prodedure through Adobe After Effects that as a beginner you wouldn't want to try.

Here is a site with a LOT of info on doing Star Wars style production and post-production.
http://theforce.net/fanfilms/tutorials.asp

Here is a great website about creating the specific blade effect in Photoshop.
http://theforce.net/fanfilms/softwar...ing_finley.asp

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 10:59 PM

Actually, someone's written a program specifically for this sort of thing. It's in REALBasic, but it seems to get the job done pretty well.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nayr x
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2005, 04:37 AM

I created a pretty epic sequence some years ago using iMovie and Adobe After Effects.

1. Film your sequence. Use "light sabers" with actual "blades", like a wooden dowel or a slim stick. Make sure it shows up well in your shots. Sometimes spraypainting them a bright color or wraping them with bands of colored electrical tape works well.

big tip: think about your shots before hand! When the swords go behind objects or move extreemly fast it compounds the complexity and can make for some difficult post production.

2. Import footage using iMovie
3. Open the .dvi file in AfterEffects, FCP or a similar program
4. Create a layer on top of your footage layer that is the same duration. Add a "beam" effect. Toggle the key frames for the "start position" and "end position".
5. This is where it get's tedious, but once you get into it, it goes pretty quick. (I would't suggest tackeling anything over 30 seconds). For each frame of video, set the start position at the bottom of the wooden shaft, and the end position at the top of the shaft over your footage. You have to do this frame by frame, but it is nice beacause using the beam effect, each new frame retains the old saber's position and it is usually just a little adjustment for each.

start, end. start, end. start, end....

5. Add a glow effect to the beam layer and fiddle with the colors and brightness till it looks good.
6. Export the finished movie as a .dv file, then import it to iMovie or FCP.

Voila!

That is really about as easy as it gets. I would be skeptical of any programs that try to automate the process, because of all the variables involved, i cant imagine an algorithim that would adequatly replace the judgements that are made when you do it yourself.

If you make it that far and need sound effects for the light sabers, I think I still have them all saved somewhere I'd be happy to email them to you. You can just drop them into iMovie or FCP like any other wav or aif file.

-good luck!

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

rob_hart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 02:13 AM

Ok - here is the solution. It's a program called FXlab. Go to http://www.fxhome.com and check it out. It not only does lightsabers but every other kind of thing you want like that - explosions, smoke, spaceships... it's awesome.

If you want to see some of our star wars parodies, check out www.shammyboys.com It's sad in a way but lots of stupid fun. Most of the special fx are done with that program.

Rob

shmerek
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2005, 11:39 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules