Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The U.S. in 5 wars now? WTF?

The U.S. in 5 wars now? WTF?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 05:52 PM

The war on terror, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and now Yemen...

I think I need a break from any and all politics, cause I'm tired of non-stop bothersome news. None of the Republican candidates appeal to me right now either (perhaps cause I like them to be of the non-fruitcake variety), although I think Ron Paul has the right idea when it comes to abstaining from all of these stupid, pointless wars. The US and A is out of its mind!

Speak comfort to besson3c.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 05:56 PM

Six.

War on Poop.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 05:59 PM

Hehhe... I feel a little better now, thanks subego!

War on gamble.. Heh!

reader50
Administrator
Jun 16, 2011, 06:54 PM

War on drugs. That one's working nicely too.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 06:58 PM

I think we should start a war on stupid wars.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 07:30 PM

Obama says that the US is not involved in hostilities in Libya, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Obama says that the US is not involved in hostilities in Libya, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Whether our involvement is direct or indirect, it is costing us a great deal, and our history has given me no reason to be confident that what we are doing is "improving" things in the world.

I don't know to what extent these wars are intertwined with our fossil fuel dependency, but it saddens me to think about to what effect that same money we spend on blowing toke up could be spent accelerating our progress towards phasing out oil based products.

I also wonder how much Al Gore is responsible for our tepid energy policies. A large population on the right is obviously having none of this global warming stuff, and I wonder how often anti-global warming/climate change ideology gets conflated with the other benefits of weaning ourselves off of oil?

Then again, maybe oil is only one of many factors that justify these wars to some. Whatever the case is, Obama needs to make an argument as to why we really have to be involved in these wars. The whole "we're not spending new money" argument is nice and all, but it's also sad that government agencies (of any kind, this seems to range from the upper levels of politics to state run higher ed) feel compelled to spend all of their budget in fear of having these funds taken away from them. Just because we have $750 billion budgeted that can be used in Libya doesn't mean this money *really* has to be spent.

How about we spend that same money on education in this country and let Libya sort out their own affairs?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Which is funny, because, before Obama ever said anything, Libyan rebels in Misrata said US Special Forces were on the ground supporting them. Which generally isn't something you make up.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 09:01 PM

I Hope you're enjoying the Change
( Last edited by Chongo; Jun 16, 2011 at 11:04 PM. )
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Which is funny, because, before Obama ever said anything, Libyan rebels in Misrata said US Special Forces were on the ground supporting them. Which generally isn't something you make up.
I'm sure they were there in only an advisory capacity.
I advise you to eat American lead mother****ers.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I Hope you're enjoying the Change

If this is supposed to be a form of gloating, can you honestly say that you were never hopeful for a new president? A new president is always sort of a blank slate for us to place our optimism.

I was never optimistic that Obama would bring profound change to America, but I definitely thought he would fight to do more than he has thus far.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 12:26 AM

Obama has brought a lot of change. It's aggressive, progressive change that's further destroying the country. But that's what people voted for.

The only thing he can be positively credited for is having the military continue to go after Al Qaeda, including the termination of Osama Hussein Bin Laden. Nearly every other policy choice of his has been detrimental.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 17, 2011 at 12:35 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Obama has brought a lot of change. It's aggressive, progressive change that's further destroying the country. But that's what people voted for.
What are you specifically speaking about? Because I don't see any one of his campaign promises that have actually been put into action. In fact, I'd say he's reneged on nearly all of them, such as the pullout from Iraq and Afghanistan. He seems to me like he hasn't brought any change at all, just tried to pass a few laws that would provide a vehicle for eventual change.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 12:41 AM

Obama has brought a lot of change. It's change that's further destroying the country. But that's what people voted for.

The only thing he can be positively credited for is having the military continue to go after Al Qaeda, including the termination of Osama Hussein Bin Laden. Nearly every other policy choice of his has been detrimental.

Stimulus package: may have helped, many say should have been bigger. I'm somewhat undecided

Ending Don't Ask Don't Tell: great

Health care: a tepid start, but a step in the right direction I guess. We still need to reduce the costs of Medicare, I think this is being neglected

Education: hasn't yet abandoned No Child Left Behind, but is urging us to do so

Wars: See above

Domestic spending cuts: undecided

Environment: unchanged?!

Energy: unchanged?!

Torture: unchanged?!

Financial regulatory reform: I don't even know where this is at?

I'm definitely forgetting stuff... My point in listing this though is to disagree in part with Big Mac, although it is obviously predictable that he would not be a fan of Obama's policies and that's fine. My Obama report card so far is pretty much "meh", I don't really feel inspired to vote for anyone in 2012 thus far.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 12:47 AM

What are you specifically speaking about? Because I don't see any one of his campaign promises that have actually been put into action. In fact, I'd say he's reneged on nearly all of them, such as the pullout from Iraq and Afghanistan. He seems to me like he hasn't brought any change at all, just tried to pass a few laws that would provide a vehicle for eventual change.

Yeah, I don't understand how most people seem to agree that we've seen little to no change, yet others (such as Big Mac) think we've seen some crazy profound change.

There has really been very little that has changed since the Bush era and beyond, and that is a part of the problem.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 01:29 AM

Oh, you believed in campaign promises ?

I'm sorry.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Oh, you believed in campaign promises ?

I'm sorry.

-t
Where did I say that? I didn't vote for Obama.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 07:32 AM

45/47

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 07:55 AM

Silly fatties. You know that both your main parties work for the same people, right?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

andi*pandi
Jun 17, 2011, 09:57 AM

There's one war on terror, and infinite fronts.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Silly fatties. You know that both your main parties work for the same people, right?
The Illuminati runs all governments based on recommendations from the Bilderburgs and the CFR.
45/47

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 01:59 PM

Don't forget about the Free Masons...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The Illuminati runs all governments based on recommendations from the Bilderburgs and the CFR.
Would it surprise you to know that I knew who was going to win the Conservative Prty leadership election three months before they had it? I'm not talking guessing, I'm talking knowing - a little bird told me.
Your country operates in the same manner. "Democracy" is there to keep you quiet.

You can either believe me or you can be wrong. Your choice.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2011, 02:49 AM

ok.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2011, 04:36 PM

The only thing he can be positively credited for is having the military continue to go after Al Qaeda, including the termination of Osama Hussein Bin Laden.
Um, who?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Would it surprise you to know that I knew who was going to win the Conservative Prty leadership election three months before they had it? I'm not talking guessing, I'm talking knowing - a little bird told me.
It would not surprise me. Political prognostication is not that hard, especially when it comes to intra-party leadership selections. Of course those are "fixed": you have a limited voting pool all of whom depend on patronage relationships of some degree.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jun 20, 2011 at 05:04 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules