Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Router questions...

Router questions...
kupan787
Senior User
Oct 13, 2008, 09:53 PM

Hi all.

I am currently looking at upgrading my home network. Here is how it is currently setup:

A ResidentialGateway (fancy fiber modem) connected directly to my WRT54G (running Tomato for the QOS and the Bandwidth monitoring).
A Gigabit switch (GigA) plugged into the WRT54G
An Xbox, AppleTV, PS3, and another gigabit switch (GigB) plugged into GigA
An Airport Extreeme (54g), Mac Pro (gigabit), and PowerBook (100baseT) plugged into GigB.

What I am wondering is, do I need to upgrade my router (which is only 100baseT) to gigabit in-order to take advantage of the gigabit transfer rates between devices? Does having 100baseT devices plugged into the gigabit switches cause them to slow down all other computers connected? Can anyone recommend a good gigabit router that has QoS, bandwidth monitoring, and doesn't die when hit with P2P (WiFi is optional, as I don't really need it). I'd be willing to spend up-to $500 here if I needed to go prosumer.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules