Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sydney Apple store opening

Sydney Apple store opening
MM-o4
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 12:21 AM

Hey guys,

the Sydney Apple store opens in about 3 hours and I am struggling to really care. I know it's a cool thing and a very nicely designed store, but it has nothing extra really to offer besides a free T-shirt to the first 2,500. No new product, no iPhone, nothing.

Have I lost touch with my Apple Fanboi?

But best believe I will be in the line at July 11

EDIT: forgot to mention I work just down the road. I walked past a lunch and there is a bunch of people who have lined up for 2 days.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2008, 07:07 AM

Same here (as in attitude to the opening) - I was outside the place around lunch time and the crowd looked very uber-geek.

Couple of questions :-
1. is there a glass staircase in the building? Doesn't look like there is and I thought that the glass staircase was a signature feature of Apple Stores? I've been to Soho and London and they both have the glass treads.
2. have other store openings had more goodies for the first few customers than just t-shirts?
3. anyone go to the store opening? Who opened it? Any surprises? Is it really the 2nd largest Apple Store in the world? Did you get anything else than a t-shirt?

I've put my name down with vodafone for an iPhone - have decided that this time I will go the bleeding edge (I usually wait)

Edit :: fixed a typo
this sig intentionally left blank

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2008, 07:15 AM

In my experience, all Apple Store openings attract crowds. The first store in Austin (in a not-so-high-culture mall) mobbed the whole mall. The second, in an upscale shopping center, seems to have tied up traffic in the area for hours and hours. The first store in San Antonio was a big deal too, and the second one, due to open in a few months, will probably be yet another mob scene. Being mob-averse, I'm going to wait a few weeks before I visit the newer one (getting to the mall it's in is a pain anyway), just to see how it's different.

None of these stores has opened in conjunction with new products. They just attract crowds. "Oooooo! Shiny! Let's go fondle iPhones!" That sort of thing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2008, 07:45 AM

The Sydney opening has come at the right time for me as I have been having major network problems at home. I've booked a genius appointment for Saturday morning. It'll be interesting to see if the genius can factory reset a new Express I bought the other week that just refuses to play nice with me. I so hate 10.5.*
this sig intentionally left blank

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2008, 11:36 AM

Kinda strange that Apple decided to open the store in mid-winter, it's probably going to be very rainy, which might deter lines and crowds...but who knows we're a crazy bunch

One thing missing (from the pictures i've seen of the store) is a surf board in the store.

Cheers

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2008, 02:20 PM

Where is it located at?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MM-o4  (op)
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 10:11 PM

it's on george street near pitt street mall.

I saw it on the news. Really packed. But I found the cheering an employee hugging strange.

I will defeinitly gave to check it out once the hype goes down!

Forum Links
Forum Rules