Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV, through a wall?

Apple TV, through a wall?
Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2007, 10:08 PM

I have recently moved into a new apartment where I have all of my components on one side of the wall in the wash room, and my plasma TV on the wall in the living room. Imagine all of the components directly behind the TV, just hidden by a wall.

It makes for a very clean look, with absolutely NO wires, however I have had to purchase a Harmony 890 to get past the restraints of the other remotes poor signals, so I am able to control my DVD player, receiver, cable box, etc. through this wall.

I am a bit stumped on how to control my Apple TV however. I would love to continue using the Apple Remote instead of adding another feature to my Harmony (Can I even add an Apple remote to the Harmony?).

I'm sure with all of the aesthetic gurus in the Apple community, someone else must have faced this same problem.
-Brian

 PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz PPC | 2.5 GB RAM | 30" Cinema Display
 Macbook Pro | 2.2 GHz Core2Duo | 2 GB RAM

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 08:31 AM

I have the same remote. I couldn't get my Apple remote to work with my Harmony remote. I'm sure it will, but I didn't have the time to figure it out.

Since the Apple remote uses IR, this is your only option unless you purchased another IR to RF device.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 08:54 AM

I've heard of Apple TV's working with Harmonys. Can't you just get your Harmony to learn the Apple Remote?

Originally Posted by Brian Live View Post
I would love to continue using the Apple Remote instead of adding another feature to my Harmony (Can I even add an Apple remote to the Harmony?).
Isn't the whole point of owning a Harmony so that you don't need to use multiple remotes? Personally, I'm not a bit fan of the Apple Remote, other than the fact that I can use magnets to give it a place to stay.

Rooskibar03
Jun 7, 2007, 07:14 PM

There is another Mac User forum that shall remain nameless that walks you through the process of setting up a Harmony with Apple TV.

I just ordered a Harmony 880 today, so I'm rather jazzed to try it out.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 10:31 AM

I have a Harmony 890 and AppleTV. The Harmony works perfectly fine with the AppleTV. In fact, Harmoney even has the codes in their data base. Just "Add Device" --> Manufacturer = Apple --> Device = AppleTV. It works great.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 03:22 PM

Mrjinglesusa is correct. I have a Harmony 880 and I added the AppleTV as a device and it works perfectly.

I don't see why the 890's "through the walls" 'feature' won't work with the AppleTV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules