Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Hateful Eight

The Hateful Eight
subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2016, 12:03 PM

Still trying to wrap my head around it. I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure I liked it either. The structure was so odd.

Just to be sure I caught things properly, the driver was the non-hateful character?

Edit: and was there any clues as to whether the Sheriff was actually the Sheriff? He had the most well-tuned bullshit detectors, but that could be an argument for either side.
( Last edited by subego; May 22, 2016 at 01:19 PM. )

andi*pandi
May 22, 2016, 09:32 PM

I think he was the sheriff, no reason he couldn't be.

I liked it enough at first, a taught suspenseful closed room mystery. Well acted. Kurt Russell, dang. Guy from justified, awesome. Then it started to go to heck.

Once the story was revealed, I was like, no one was suspicious of the stranger saying the inn owner went to see her mother? seriously?

I was kind of hoping one of the "good" folks would survive being dumped in a well and kill everyone, happy ending. The ending was unsatisfying.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2016, 10:02 PM

I'm not sure what to think of this flick either.

On the one hand I like the characters, music (who doesnt like Ennio Morricone?) and especially the performance of the dude was going to be the new sherif. I appreciate the fact that Tarantino used 70mm (although not sure it made a huge difference being mostly indoors).

The things which bugged me was some of the dialog which seemed out of place given the time period, and the way the thing was revealed/unraveled (narrated by Tarantino) ugh.

OreoCookie
May 23, 2016, 01:29 AM

I just watched it recently on a flight (perhaps not the best environment), and I thought it was highly original, but not easily watchable. It's a great movie in the sense that it still sticks in my head, but I don't love it as I love Inglorious Bastards or the two Kill Bill movies. (Then again, the appeal of Pulp Fiction is lost on me, too.) However, with this kind of movie I don't need a happy ending, so that didn't bother me too much. I actually thought he'd let the bad guys prevail.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 12:00 PM

It is definitely a movie which sticks with you.

Does anyone have an opinion on the general's son's story?

The more I'm thinking about it, the more implausible I find it... you're off to kill a notorious black, Northern "war criminal" and you beg for your life by admitting you're the son of an extra racist Southern general?

If the story was false, it neatly parallels the Lincoln letter. It got him what he wanted.

That said, I may have missed a detail which explains the odd circumstances, or perhaps I just don't want the story to be true.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The things which bugged me was some of the dialog which seemed out of place given the time period, and the way the thing was revealed/unraveled (narrated by Tarantino) ugh.
I thought the driver from New Zealand was the most egregious example. She was right out of the 21st century, and I couldn't understand why.

I feel like the 70mm did very little on my TV.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 12:13 PM

Full on spoilers ahoy...

I thought it was weird that we had all of this buildup and tension and were expecting this house to be full of people with wildly different motivations and allegiances... but it turns out that every single person in the house was basically a member of her gang. Their entire plan seemed to make little sense to me.

As for Samuel L. Jacksons character, I think we're supposed to assume that everything he says is more or less false, even if we're shown clips.

I still enjoyed it but I thought it had some problems.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
May 23, 2016, 12:26 PM

Yep, if everyone in the house is there to rescue her you'd think someone would pick up on it sooner. And a better plan would have been to get the carriage before it picked up more passengers, or got to the house. If I were Russell, and I saw the shot off door lock, I'd take my prisoner and go camp with the horses in the barn rather than be with those people, or just keep going.

As a viewer you're hoping that the characters aren't as hateful as they could be. You want the Lincoln letter to be real, for Jackson's character to be honest with Russell's... I can see either way Jackson making up his story about the General's son. If it's true, he's just as hateful as anybody. Even if it's not, it's disturbing and shows a sick mind. Also impressed with the general's acting, staying put in that chair not even budging for food.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Full on spoilers ahoy...

I thought it was weird that we had all of this buildup and tension and were expecting this house to be full of people with wildly different motivations and allegiances... but it turns out that every single person in the house was basically a member of her gang. Their entire plan seemed to make little sense to me.

As for Samuel L. Jacksons character, I think we're supposed to assume that everything he says is more or less false, even if we're shown clips.

I still enjoyed it but I thought it had some problems.
I think the idea behind the plan was that anything more "standard" (say, ambushing the coach) would put the Dahmer girl at risk. Yes, I know that's not her name.

They really bent over backwards to set it up as unusual they just didn't put a bullet in her head.

And speaking of Dahmer, she threw herself into that performance, huh?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Even if it's not, it's disturbing and shows a sick mind.
So... Tarantino's mind?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I thought the driver from New Zealand was the most egregious example. She was right out of the 21st century, and I couldn't understand why.

I feel like the 70mm did very little on my TV.
A friend who watched it in 70mm on the roadshow(or whatever) was impressed. I think their journey to the cabin would have been quite a spectacle. (Not to derail this discussion, but if you want to see a great use of 65/70mm, check out PTA's 'The Master'... but be forewarned, it's a very heavy movie (and a great one nonetheless). In fact it has stuck with me far longer than Hateful eight had).

As far as SLJ, while watching the movie, it wasn't possible to tell if he was lying or not. But the fact that the Lincoln letter was lie, makes you question everything else he said, especially the stuff about the general's son. I think the purpose was to make the audience realize that here's a character who will say anything to get what he wants. As far as the imagery with the general's son...i wonder if the purpose of that scene was to depict what was going through the general's mind, as opposed to what may/may-not have happened.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 01:45 PM

The hype leading up to it didn't meet my expectations. It was okay, quite original, but I just didn't enjoy it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
The hype leading up to it didn't meet my expectations. It was okay, quite original, but I just didn't enjoy it.
I felt the "why" of the movie is "because Tarantino". Tarantino is interesting and enthusiastic, so the movie was too... just not much else.

I think self-indulgent isn't a bad descriptor.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 02:30 PM

As an aside, I saw this with my dad, on his recommendation. This was his second viewing. In anticipation of our next movie watching session, I asked if he'd seen Deadpool.

He had. He said "it was a little rough".

A little rough? Uhh... did you see the movie we just watched?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 23, 2016, 05:09 PM

Got this on Redbox after managing to avoid all trailers and hype so I'd be seeing it totally blind. My screen is CinemaScope (2.35:1), so the Ultra Panavision (2.76:1) still manged to give me bars on top and bottom.

Not having any idea what I was going into, I think I was hoping for a bit more action. The first nearly hour an a half of the movie is almost completely setup. I ended up shutting it off and going to bed out of boredom about 2 minutes before the vomiting started. I picked it up the next day and finished it. It needed an intermission.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 05:18 PM

About an hour-and-a-half in I was like "nothing has actually happened in this movie yet".

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 08:52 PM

I kinda found the first half better than the last half. Getting introduced to the characters was cool, it was outdoors, and the dialog was pretty cool. The indoors stuff seemed to be dragging on.

Anyone else get the impression that Tim Roth's character was meant for that Austrian actor from Inglorious Bastards?

Also, Reservoir Dogs is still my undisputed favorite Tarantino flick.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 08:55 PM

Since we're on it, I was actually a little tepid on Inglorious Basterds.

Reservoir Dogs is my favorite as well. One of the reasons I got into film.

I didn't mind the first half of TH8, it was just very unusual from a structural standpoint.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2016, 01:48 AM

PF > RD > IBs > > TH8

I admit my great love for the music in Pulp Fiction clouds my judgement. I'll work on ranking all of QT's movies and post that later. (I can tell you that it ends with Death Proof.)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 02:33 AM

I've actually only seen Pulp Fiction once.

I know I should remedy that.

What I like about Reservoir Dogs is the laser focus. It is one tight movie.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2016, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
PF > RD > IBs > > TH8

I admit my great love for the music in Pulp Fiction clouds my judgement. I'll work on ranking all of QT's movies and post that later. (I can tell you that it ends with Death Proof.)
I find your lack of Jackie Brown.......disturbing.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2016, 09:36 PM

It's not even close to a complete list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules