Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need an app that will read an oooold PC word perfect file

Need an app that will read an oooold PC word perfect file
uv23
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 01:21 PM

Hi folks, I've found some old writings from about 10 years ago that were written on a PC using Word Perfect. Actually, come to think of it, they were most likely written on my Amiga 500. Is there anything that can read .wpd file formats on the Mac? Help greatly appreciated. Cheers.
( Last edited by uv23; Nov 7, 2004 at 01:33 PM. )

Rogue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2004, 01:40 PM

Try WPConvert. It opens old WP files as either text or HTML. I'm not sure how good a job it does, but it's free and won't take long to try out.

--Rogue

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 01:48 PM

Funny that you mention it as I *just* found that and tried it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to actually do anything! It said the operation completed but there was no output or other feedback.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 01:58 PM

I would look into MacLink Pro, there is a good chance that one of the file filters will convert it to something you have a program for. I picked up an older copy for about $10 a while ago for exactly this sort of circumstance.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2004, 01:58 PM

You should be able to read them with WordPerfect 3.5 for OS 7. It runs in Classic. Corel released it for free, but it's no longer available from them. You will have to find it as well as the Updater for OS 8/9 elsewhere in the net.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 03:01 PM

It may also be worth trying Nisus Writer Express - I know it can open convert at least some .wpd files...
cpac

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 04:19 PM

I did notice Nissus, but I'm looking for something available as freeware.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 11:36 PM

Did you try Appleworks, or even better, Clarisworks?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 11:41 PM

you can download wordperfect 3.5 and the updater here: http://acmfiles.csusb.edu/corel/wpmac.html - as said above, it will run just fine under classic.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 10:56 AM

If WP 3.5 doesn't work for you, what do you need to get from the file? If you don't mind having to do some editing and only want the unformatted text, I imagine TextEdit would open the document for you (command-option-drag the file to the TextEdit icon in the Dock to force it to open the document). If that works, you'll more than likely get lots of extraneous characters in amongst your actual text, but you should be able to piece it all together by deleting that unnecessary stuff.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2004, 09:36 AM

Textedit just shows garbage unfortunately. I'll try that Wordperfect link but I have a base Panther install so am not sure if it contains a classic environment (never had to use it before). Cheers.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 11:50 AM

If it's only 20 documents or whatever, you can IM me at albionranshead and I'll convert them for you. I have WP on my G4 for just such issues. (turn around 24 hours, price, free as long as you aren't a jerk)

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2004, 02:48 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I downloaded wordperfect 3.5 and the updates, and by using the command-option drag trick, I have been able to open the wpds perfectly. Cheers.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2004, 02:54 PM

Hmmm or not. Seems like all the documents are getting prematurely cut off part way through. Ah well, the investigation continues...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 03:21 PM

Word to the wise... try opening the files from within WP...

Forum Links
Forum Rules