Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17"PB gets very hot under CPU load...

17"PB gets very hot under CPU load...
patniemeyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 04:12 PM

I've had my 17" PB for a week now and I love it. But it can get really hot when its sitting on your lap.

I find it interesting how significantly the CPU load affects the temperature. I was working with basically a cold laptop when I dragged 800 megs of images into Preview (BTW, don't do that... get Acdsee or something that is faster) and my left knee started burning...

I measured the temperature with an infra-red thermometer at 118 degrees.

I assume ths is normal? (and not, for example, a bad fan on mine?) I don't think I have ever really heard the fan...

Pat

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by patniemeyer:
I've had my 17" PB for a week now and I love it. But it can get really hot when its sitting on your lap.

I find it interesting how significantly the CPU load affects the temperature. I was working with basically a cold laptop when I dragged 800 megs of images into Preview (BTW, don't do that... get Acdsee or something that is faster) and my left knee started burning...

I assume ths is normal? (and not, for example, a bad fan on mine?) I don't think I have ever really heard the fan...

Pat

Hmm...well the fans on the 17" PB *are* extremely quiet, however "burning" your left knee doesn't seem exactly right. Clearly that load would make it very warm underneath, but you may have an issue on your hands if it got that hot, such as a non-funcitoning fan. I'd either take it to a local Apple Store or give AppleCare a call...good luck w/ it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 07:50 PM

Pat
Seems a bit too hot.
But if its sitting in you lap, isn't it more prone to getting hot seeing that your body is already 98.6 degrees. Would the heat of your body combined with the general heat of a powerbook make it this hot?

kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 10:40 PM

Especially if the cooling vents are blocked.

hsvgoku
Apr 15, 2003, 10:47 PM

Hmm...if there are no space in between your laptop and your legs, that could be the problem of the heat escaping from the vents. Have u tried measuring the temp of the PB sitting on a table? If the temp is the same as what you put on your laps then i would really suggest bringing it to Apple care.

katorga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 11:24 PM

To be honest I have not had a laptop that was not uncomfortably hot in the lap since my ancient PB520C '040. That covers PC's as well as Macs.

I actually sent a Dell laptop back within 5 hours of receiving it once because it got so hot.

My current TiBook 800Mhz is the same way. After an hour of so of gaming, it gets too hot for lap use.

blacksheep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 12:50 AM

hsvgoku
Apr 16, 2003, 05:39 AM

Do we need to reset the it after one week of using the PB for the first time so that we can get the maximum battery usage (5 hours is what i have been told) ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules