Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > upgrading 54 hard drive

upgrading 54 hard drive
bradleykavin
Aug 5, 2004, 12:23 AM

hi..i just bought a dual 1.8 rev b g5 and it came with an 80 gig hd...i boght a 250 gig hd at bestbuy but it was ida ata, not serial ata...i want to find a good hardrive that will work with my g5 wit no problems...250 gig...anyone have any suggestions? (i spent 200 on the previous 250 gig hd upgrade, so i dont want to spend any more than that) thanks
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Chinasaur
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 08:41 AM

Cheapest 250GB SATA HD at www.newegg.com is $171 and change.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 12:11 PM

I second the vote for NewEgg.

Best Buy will just try to screw you. NewEgg will charge you a low price, cheap or free shipping, and you'll get it probably within two or three days of ordering (no need to buy expediated shipping).

bradleykavin  (op)
Aug 6, 2004, 03:06 AM

alright..i bought the hard drive..now i hav another question...now that i ahve one 80 gig hd and one 250 gig hd..do u think i should put them both in there?..i was reading like theres some program in the utilities that can make botht he hardrives act as one hard drive? im confused...
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Chinasaur
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 07:53 AM

What you are referring to is RAID. Redundant Array of Inexpensive/Independant Disks.

However, both drives have to be the same capacity/type. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

I'd use the faster/larger as my boot/main drive and the other as a backup device or Yellow Dog drive.

Enjoy all your new real estate
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

yfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 03:17 AM

you would not be able to use the IDE drive in there unless you purchase some kind of IDE->SATA connector which would be pretty useless since you won't be getting the speed benefit. My vote goes to just putting the 80gig into an external firewire case

Forum Links
Forum Rules