Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > g5 130 nm and 90 nm

g5 130 nm and 90 nm
bradleykavin
Aug 15, 2004, 05:35 AM

i read that the first generation of g5s used the regular 970 processor.. (130 nm)..and that the second line of g5s use the 970fx processor (90 nm)..ive read this from the company that is creating a g5 upgrade for agp powermacs..as well as other resellers and benchmark websites..i just wnat to clearify this..? i guess that the fx use less power and are a little more powerfull..?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl..._1.8_dp_2.html
( Last edited by bradleykavin; Aug 15, 2004 at 05:51 AM. )
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 08:52 AM

Yeah, Apple confirmed the Rev B G5s are all using 90nm 970s. I had not known, however, that upgrade companies are going to make G5 upgrades for the G4 Macs. Good news for G4 owners, since most of us didn't think it could happen. (The G5's bus is radically different from previous Power Macs.) I imagine, though, that such an upgrade wouldn't be very cost effective.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 02:06 AM

Well if you absolutely need two optical drives

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Yeah, Apple confirmed the Rev B G5s are all using 90nm 970s. I had not known, however, that upgrade companies are going to make G5 upgrades for the G4 Macs. Good news for G4 owners, since most of us didn't think it could happen. (The G5's bus is radically different from previous Power Macs.) I imagine, though, that such an upgrade wouldn't be very cost effective.
Sonnet has said they are developing G5 upgrades for the G5 Power Macs. I have yet to hear anything about G5 upgrades for G4s, and I doubt we will ever see them. The highest bus ratio the current G5 supports is 6:1. So the fastest G5 upgrade you could see for a QuickSilver, for example, would be 6x133MHz = 800MHz.

And even if future versions of the G5 support much higher bus multipliers, I still doubt you will see upgrade manufacturers develop G5 based upgrades for G4s. The G5s main, and pretty much only, performance advantage over the G4 is the bus speed. If you were to stick a G5 on a 133MHz bus, a G4 of a similar clock speed on the same bus would trounce it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bradleykavin  (op)
Aug 18, 2004, 02:12 AM

on this page of macosrumors it says that the current 2.5 ghz chip uses 130 nm technology...?...

http://macosrumors.com/81604L.php

frontside sub of 2ghz? memory of 128 gb ddr? wtf
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 02:34 AM

If something is reported on MacOSrumors, it was probably fabricated.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 18, 2004, 10:30 AM

See my post here. (Also here.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules