Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Trouble with FAH servers?

Trouble with FAH servers?
OneMacGuy
Senior User
Feb 6, 2005, 11:33 PM

I am having trouble getting work units on some of my best CPUs. I have abot 6 CPU's right now that are sitting idle! That sucks....

Is folding@home starting to go the way of the other underfunded DC projects and start getting flaky? I tend to get fed up real quick when I put a lot of time and money into this and they can't even hold up their own server end. Some of these CPUs have been idle for several days, still sucking down electricity though!

Anyone heard anything from them? I went to their forums and looked, they say everything should be fine, but still no go here for some of my boxen.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2005, 01:22 AM

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/serverstat.html
I already saw that page and it tells me nothing. How do I know which server my box is trying to connect to? It is fairly cryptic to say the least anyway.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by OneMacGuy:
I already saw that page and it tells me nothing. How do I know which server my box is trying to connect to? It is fairly cryptic to say the least anyway.
I reloaded the whole thing from scratch and still got the same thing. It is trying to contact server 171.64.122.128. No go!
I posted a question about this on their forums, no answer yet. A lot of people are having similar problems, but none that I could find with this server.
( Last edited by OneMacGuy; Feb 7, 2005 at 04:01 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Feb 7, 2005, 10:21 PM

I'm not seeing too much in #128's status. It requires connection on port 8080 rather than 80, you could check your firewall setting. Also, it only does Windows/Linux units, but I assume your boxes are running Linux.

The other status columns do not have useful explanations. Usually no explanation.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
I'm not seeing too much in #128's status. It requires connection on port 8080 rather than 80, you could check your firewall setting. Also, it only does Windows/Linux units, but I assume your boxes are running Linux.

The other status columns do not have useful explanations. Usually no explanation.
I am running Windows on that box, no firewall running anywhere. This is he first one that I have had any problem with. I am going to attempt a complete reload of this box tonight and see if that may help, don't know what else to do with it.

Thanx!

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Feb 10, 2005, 03:50 PM

I am running Windows on that box, no firewall running anywhere. This is he first one that I have had any problem with. I am going to attempt a complete reload of this box tonight and see if that may help, don't know what else to do with it.

Thanx!
A complete reload fixed it on one box, strange that it should, must have been something corupted on first load.

Thanx for help!!!

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 10:29 AM

A complete reload fixed it on one box, strange that it should, must have been something corupted on first load.

Thanx for help!!!
This only appeared to work, it has since quit again. EXTREMELY strange! I reloaded again and cannot get a new core. I have tried everything I can think of now. I just downloaded the ISO file and created a SUSE Linux installation CD and loaded the box with the SUSE Linux. Everything works fine, browsing the internet, FTP, mail services, DNS services,Samba services, but the FAH client cannot get a new core to work on. This really SUCKS!!! I cannot believe that the hardware is incompatible with folding@home!

Too much time wasted on this piece of crap, I am gonna sell it to someone who does not run a DC client and get a newer mobo. BTW, it is a AMD Semptron 2500+ and an ECS KT600 mobo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules