Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > intel vs. G5

intel vs. G5
bradleykavin
Jun 9, 2005, 10:41 AM

i have a question. the G5 processor is terrific, i have one myself and love it. but from what i remember reading on the apple website, and the keynote that was i believe two wyears ago, is the expandability of the g5. how it could hypotheticaly handle some crazy like 10 teraflops of memory and whatever. I am curious as to what type of processor intel is going to use in the mac? all their processors that they ship to companies like dell and what not, are not 64-bit. wasnt the whole reason of tiger being such a good operating system was because of its 64-bit integration and how it is optimized for the g5? frontside bus wise, the g5 owns the pentiums. how do you think the g5 processor will compare to the pentiums they put in the g5? because in the keynote they just put a 3.6 ghz pentim 4 in their, which according to the performance tests on apple.com, it blows compared to the g5...?
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 11:12 AM

in before lock?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2005, 11:23 AM

Powermacs wont get the Intel CPU's till probably Q406 to Q407...so what CPU's do you think intel will have out by that time? Its definately not going to be some shitty 3.6 P4. Think Dual core 3Ghz Pentium M type CPU's with x86-64 extentions.
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 11:37 AM

Remember that Apple has been developing OS X side by side for Intel all along. This means that OS X is not only optimized for the G5, but also for the Intel to a certain extent. And plus, Intel already has x86-64 processors on the market now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules