Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Screenshots

Screenshots
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 03:47 AM

Hi there,
Since upgrading to 10.4.7 I am unable to take any screenshots in the usual way; shift-apple-3 This method does not sem to work any more!
What happens is that another web-page appears ..!!
Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?
Thanks in advance for any help.
voicebox

Edited today at 09.50 am
Problem now solved!
voicebox
( Last edited by voicebox; Aug 2, 2006 at 04:50 AM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 06:07 PM

It's working fine here. Double check in Keyboard system preferences that you do not have a shortcut defined for shift-cmd-3 which override the default one...

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 04:06 PM

c'mon man, now you have to tell us how you solved it. it's called giving back
F = ma

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by milhous
c'mon man, now you have to tell us how you solved it. it's called giving back
Well milhous,
It's rather odd - before 10.4.7 when I wanted to take a screenshot I hit shift-apple-3 and I would get a slightly dulled screen with a 'camera' icon in the middle, then I would click the wifi mouse to take the shot - no problem .... now after upgrading to 10.4.7 when I went through the same procedure I didn't get the dulled screen with the 'camera' icon and I didn't have to click the mouse to take the shot. I have to say this rather foxed me because I thought I wasn't getting a result; but on opening the Screenshot folder on my desktop later on I found all the shots I had taken ..! I usually work with the speakers very low or turned off so I missed the 'shutter' sound! So there you are - more than a little confusion - and no magic fix!!
shift-apple-3 does it immediately now for the first time (on my 3 year old machine anyway - 15" G4 1Ghz PB) without the dulled screen and minus the 'camera' icon!
What the hell - I'm not complaining - it works!!
best
voicebox

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:44 PM

shift-apple-3 -> takes the whole screen immediately
shift-apple-4 -> you can select an area with the mouse (or click space and the camera will appear)

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by pat++
shift-apple-3 -> takes the whole screen immediately
shift-apple-4 -> you can select an area with the mouse (or click space and the camera will appear)
Thanks for the info pat++, much appreciated!
voicebox

Burn
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2006, 08:01 PM

I love how after shift-apple-4 spacebar - you can take shots of windows that are NOT the top most window... I have never had a use for that, just think it's cool. =)

Sorry to threadjack, but, how do I change my screenshot format preference? It used to save as pdf's, but is now png's...

mac1896
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Burn
I love how after shift-apple-4 spacebar - you can take shots of windows that are NOT the top most window... I have never had a use for that, just think it's cool. =)

Sorry to threadjack, but, how do I change my screenshot format preference? It used to save as pdf's, but is now png's...
From Mac Help:

Mac Help
Index

Taking a picture of your entire screen
You can take a picture, or "screen shot," of your entire screen using the Grab application.

Open Grab (located in /Applications/Utilities).
Choose Capture > Screen.
When the Screen Grab dialog opens, click outside that window.
Grab captures the screen within a few seconds. A new window appears with an image of your entire screen.

If you want a pointer to appear in a particular place on the screen, make sure that pointer is selected in Grab Preferences. When you take your screen shot, click the place on the screen where you want the pointer to appear.

See also
Grab
Open this for me
Grab

AND:

Converting Grab screen shots to other formats
Grab saves screen shots as files in TIFF format. If you want to use your screen shots on the web, in email, or in a word processor, you can use the Preview application to convert the TIFF files to other formats, such as JPEG or PICT.

Open Preview (located in Applications) and choose File > Open.
Locate the file you want to convert and click Open.
Choose File > Save As.
Choose a file format from the Format pop-up menu and click Save.
You can also use third-party applications to open and convert TIFF files created in Grab.

See also
Grab
Open this for me
Preview

To my knowledge, the *keyboard command* (except for the possibility of a third party app) saves screenshots only as .png.
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

Jeff Lebowski
Aug 4, 2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Burn
Onyx lets you change the format of the screenshots you take.
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-...ies/OnyX.shtml

Burn
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2006, 01:35 PM

Ummmm, thanks mac1896, I am well aware of Grab and how to search for how to use Grab.... but that's nowhere near what I'm talking about.... using one app for a capture and another to "Save as..."?. Umm, no. Thanks for copying and pasting all those directions... hope they're useful to someone.

Mr Lebowski nailed it, thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules