Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Mystery vans could be tied to Apple Maps or self-driving car projects

Mystery vans could be tied to Apple Maps or self-driving car projects
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 4, 2015, 11:35 AM

Unusual minivans -- equipped with what are believed to be cameras and LiDAR sensors -- have been spotted driving around California's Bay Area in recent weeks, reports say. The vehicles each have an X-shaped frame mounted to a luggage rack; the cameras are situated on four corners. Facing forward and back are spinning cylinders, similar to the LiDAR systems used on Google's self-driving car prototypes. Investigation by CBS affliate KPIX has discovered that a blue Dodge Caravan with the equipment is under lease to Apple.

This has fueled speculation that Apple is at work on self-driving cars of its own; but if so, the project is still in the earliest phases, since KPIX notes that the company hasn't been issued a testing permit. The company could conceivably be experimenting with sensor and mapping systems, while still having a driver in control.

Another possibility, though, is that Apple is simply looking to further improve the Maps apps for iOS and OS X by collecting more accurate street-level data, or even implementing first-person views similar to those in Google Street View. Google's app is still popular on iOS as well as Android, partly because of Street Views and transit data.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 5, 2015 at 03:37 AM. )

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2015, 01:21 PM

Let's just hope the van doesn't get lost using Apple Maps. Expecting lots of blunders from Apple Street View maps.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2015, 01:28 PM

Hey, thanks for that post from 2012. You've obviously not used the program since then, since in point of fact Apple Maps has been found to be more accurate than Google Maps:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/apple-maps-directions-beat-google-maps-waze-in-pundits-head-to-head-test

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-maps-worldview-is-now-better-than-google-maps/
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2015, 01:32 PM

Self-driving car using Apple Maps? Better get yourself a life-jacket.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2015, 01:38 PM

Yeah, the  Maps jokes are obviously made by Samsung guys as Maps is now at least as good as Google.

andrewbw
Feb 4, 2015, 02:25 PM

I'm not sure which is more embarrassing: The troll wasting their time here, or an "editor" misusing the phrase "point of fact."
I'm not wearing any pants.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2015, 02:45 PM

Curious how you consider it a misuse, since afaict, it is perfectly cromulent: Apple has been found more reliable than Google in a specific study. Fact.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2015, 12:01 AM

Sorry, Apple Maps is still not reliable from my current experience (not from an article source). I use Google and Waze and they yields the same spot but not Apple (2 blocks off in a downtown New Haven, CT address). I do check and test Apple Maps once a while to see their progress.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2015, 04:01 AM

I can only tell you that I travel a lot (to be fair, nearly always to big cities) and Apple Maps has never let me down, whereas Google Maps has. Have you been reporting the issues you've found?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2015, 01:29 PM

I did report on issues of other areas but not yet on this one.

writetrev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM

Spotted one of the apple vans in Arizona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DlMMgM2yc

Forum Links
Forum Rules