Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > nvidia 6800 gt problem

nvidia 6800 gt problem
bradleykavin
Dec 26, 2004, 03:01 AM

i just bought the nvidia 6800 gt card and installed it..and it runs extremely well..but the past few days, i start my computer up, and my computer sems to be starting up, i can hear it, but my screen doesnot turn on..i have to turn the comptuer off and repeat the process several times beforei actually visually see my computer satrting up..i cannot find anything on the apple support site..anyone have any ideas? thank you
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2004, 04:20 AM

I don't know, reseat the video card perhaps?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I don't know, reseat the video card perhaps?
And if that doesn't work, try reverting to your previous video card. That would help you isolate the problem at least. If the computer works fine with your old card and no amount of re-seating gets the new card to work, you may have identified your culprit.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2004, 11:20 AM

This sounds suspiciously like the problem I had with a BFG 6800/OC in my PC. Turns out the OEM heatsink was crap, and the card was causing reboots because it was protecting itself from frying. I ended up putting a NV5 heatsink on, and it works like a charm now. Go to xlr8yourmac.com, and they have an article about that heatsink on a 6800 in a G5.

You can try taking the heatsink off, clean it, the GPU and RAM chips, and put some good thermal compound like Artic Silver 5 on it. Or send it back, as doing the above will probably void your warranty on the card.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2004, 02:26 PM

Also you can try resetting the pram several times. Read in several places that the 6800 requires teh pram to be reset around 5 to 7 time sin a row (keep holding the keys down and count the chimes) and it forces the pram to clear it's cache and rediscover the card. have no idea if it's true but worth a try.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2004, 07:38 PM

So is this a pretty common problem with the 6800's? I've been wanting to buy one, but this may hold me back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules