Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thunderbolt to HDMI Cable Recommendation

Thunderbolt to HDMI Cable Recommendation
akent35
Banned
Jun 11, 2014, 02:35 PM

Even though this is a hardware question, hopefully I am posting it in the correct forum (did not see such cables on the list for items in the Consumer Hardware & Components forum). In any event, I want to connect my 2013 13" Mac Book Air to my Sony 32" TV in my bedroom. Most likely, I will need a Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter/Cable that is at least 10 feet long. So, I would appreciate it if people could provide recommendations as to which brands would be good.

Also, I know how to set the Input on the TV to HDMI. Can someone let me know what System Preference I need to choose and set, so that the Mac Book Air displays the output on the TV? (I am using the latest version of Mavericks).

Thanks!
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 11, 2014 at 02:50 PM. )

ibook_steve
Jun 11, 2014, 06:18 PM

Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt® to HDMI® ACTIVE Adapter w/ Audio Support - Monoprice.com

plus any HDMI cable.

Boom. Done.

Steve

P.S. The MBA will detect the TV automatically. You can choose mirroring or dual display in the Displays preferences. You can also send the audio to the TV from the Sound preferences or by option-clicking the volume control (speaker icon) in your menubar.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

akent35  (op)
Banned
Jun 11, 2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt® to HDMI® ACTIVE Adapter w/ Audio Support - Monoprice.com

plus any HDMI cable.

Boom. Done.

Steve

P.S. The MBA will detect the TV automatically. You can choose mirroring or dual display in the Displays preferences. You can also send the audio to the TV from the Sound preferences or by option-clicking the volume control (speaker icon) in your menubar.
Thanks! Amazon has a number of them for less, but the link you provided is good info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules