Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 8A268 In The Wild

8A268 In The Wild
bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2004, 10:25 PM

Yes, it is true...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2004, 10:29 PM

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 07:59 AM

Well that... sucks.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 25, 2004, 08:26 AM

Poor 8A268. It might get hurt all alone in the wild.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by bgmccollum:
Yes, it is true...
And this is useful info how?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 01:58 PM

This thread title needs to be edited...I think what was meant is:

8A268 stars in "Tigers Gone Wild"

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2004, 02:02 PM

My guess is that it's the most recent build of Tiger...
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
And this is useful info how?
Yeah. Maybe this should have been posted in the Lounge.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 01:50 AM

Old news. 8A269 is now "out there."
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Old news. 8A269 is now "out there."
Yes it is. And it allows Disk Utility/iTunes to burn to my Plextor PX-708UF

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 05:59 PM

The first screenshots!

Safari
A highly requested feature, Safari's toolbar is now customizable! In addition, there is also a Print toolbar item.

Address Book
The main window now has an Action Menu with various tasks for the selected card.

AirPort
There are new options for the AirPort in Network Preferences.

Preview
Preview now has two new tools: Annotate (Oval), which lets you circle text, images, etc. in a PDF with a red oval, and Annotate (Text), which lets you add a sticky note inside a PDF.

You can also add bookmarks to PDF files.

Menu Extras
The battery menu now has Energy Saver presets in the menu, which you can switch between.

The time menu now indicates which it is syncing with the internet to update the time.

iChat
iChat now has Jabber support. In addition, the Accounts preferences have been revamped.

Misc.
There is a ton of new criteria in the Finder that you can search by.

In the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane, you can remap modifier keys to other modifier keys. (I.e., you set the Option key to function as the Shift key or the Caps Lock key.)

There is a new utility called VoiceOver. I am not sure what it does yet.

Also, there is a new button on the login window labelled "Forgot Password." When you click on it, it gives instructions for resetting your password via the Install CD.

Screenshots also DO NOT save as PDFs anymore! They are now saved as PNGs. (Big timesaver!)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 06:18 PM

Thanks zachs for taking the time to do that...

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:26 PM

Voiceover looks to me like a Universal Access type feature for reading/magnifying the text you mouse over.

Looks cool. Would be nice if the text-to speech engine was improved. I like AT&T's but I really like Rhetorical's (might increase the cost of the OS just a *tiny* bit, though.)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 06:29 PM

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 07:17 PM

hehe, iChats account pane looks just like Adium's now!

-Owl

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 27, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
hehe, iChats account pane looks just like Adium's now!

-Owl
Or Proteus'...Justin is doing a good job over there even if he's just a bug squasher at the moment.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
The first screenshots!

Safari
A highly requested feature, Safari's toolbar is now customizable! In addition, there is also a Print toolbar item.
Nice, from the looks of that screenshot, it looks like they're finally using a standard NSToolbar. Nice.

Also, there is a new button on the login window labelled "Forgot Password." When you click on it, it gives instructions for resetting your password via the Install CD.
This I don't like so much. What about a lab setting? Some kids may not be smart enough on their own to know they can get around the password via the install CD, but they will know how to do it once the OS tells them.

Can this be turned off?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Moose
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
What about a lab setting? Some kids may not be smart enough on their own to know they can get around the password via the install CD, but they will know how to do it once the OS tells them.

Can this be turned off?
Booting from a CD can be disabled by setting an Open Firmware password.

There's your lab setting.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
Booting from a CD can be disabled by setting an Open Firmware password.

There's your lab setting.
Or, even easier, instead of doing that for every single machine, you could just have a checkbox to show that or not. Or in addition to the OFW password.

Visnaut
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 10:04 PM

In the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane, you can remap modifier keys to other modifier keys. (I.e., you set the Option key to function as the Shift key or the Caps Lock key.)
The real value I see in this is mapping the command key to the control key for people moving over from Windows. I've seen a lot of frustration in school labs because it seems "backwards" to PC folk. However, this option will probably be too buried for Windows people to notice in the first place.

Now, if they improved the Setup Assistant even more, it'd be great if it had an option at the very beginning, asking a user if they're coming over from a Mac or Windows, and giving little tips and time-savers such as this right from the get-go.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Or, even easier, instead of doing that for every single machine, you could just have a checkbox to show that or not. Or in addition to the OFW password.
Um, wow, that's the epitome of the "security by obscurity" mentality, which, hint hint, DOESN'T WORK.

Setting an Open Firmware password - which prevents booting from CD, booting into target disk mode, holding option, booting into single user mode, etc - is a PREREQUISITE for ANY lab or public setting. There is absolutely no need to have any checkboxes to show anything or not. And YES, the forgot password feature can be turned off anyway. Sheesh.

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Nice, from the looks of that screenshot, it looks like they're finally using a standard NSToolbar. Nice.
Yes, but there is *not* a show/hide toolbar button in the titlebar! This might be a bug, though. You can control-click the toolbar and get the standard NSToolbar menu. There's also a Customize Address Bar item in the View menu.

This I don't like so much. What about a lab setting? Some kids may not be smart enough on their own to know they can get around the password via the install CD, but they will know how to do it once the OS tells them.

Can this be turned off?
Yes, there is a checkbox in the Accounts preference pane (under login options) that is labelled "Hide password hints" which toggles this.

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Visnaut:
The real value I see in this is mapping the command key to the control key for people moving over from Windows. I've seen a lot of frustration in school labs because it seems "backwards" to PC folk. However, this option will probably be too buried for Windows people to notice in the first place.
It is in the first tab of the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane.

Now, if they improved the Setup Assistant even more, it'd be great if it had an option at the very beginning, asking a user if they're coming over from a Mac or Windows, and giving little tips and time-savers such as this right from the get-go.
Just checked...something like that hasn't been added. Yet.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
Um, wow, that's the epitome of the "security by obscurity" mentality, which, hint hint, DOESN'T WORK.

Setting an Open Firmware password - which prevents booting from CD, booting into target disk mode, holding option, booting into single user mode, etc - is a PREREQUISITE for ANY lab or public setting. There is absolutely no need to have any checkboxes to show anything or not. And YES, the forgot password feature can be turned off anyway. Sheesh.
Hey, I'm no admin. Unbunch your panties, dude. I was just saying, it would be nice to have the "forgotten password" button turned off. And you say it's there. We're all happy. OFW passwords rock.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2004, 12:13 AM

Well, this weekend turned out to be a bad weekend for me to not be online much. I missed out on the announcement of the iPods as well as this build being leaked.

But this sounds cool. I'm excited about it.

ajbaker
Oct 28, 2004, 10:12 AM

For people with experience of Tiger, how is the syncing framework shaping up? More importantly, how easy does it look to code a custom sync plug in for non-iSync 1.5 supported phones - ie most?!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2004, 11:01 AM

Recent DVD Player builds have been seen with dashboard windows not unlike Motion's to control things such as video brightness, contrast, color, tint, as well as audio (equalizer). Another option in the dashboard window is zooming the video similar to the Universal Access zoom but it only zooms the picture inside the DVD Player window. Another dashboard window (the Navigator window) allows you to easily view info such as the Title, Chapter, Elapsed Time, switch between audio language tracks and subtitles, Angle (as if any DVD actually offer different viewing angles ), volume control, etc.

In addition to bookmarks, you can also store favorite video clips by setting the start time and end time. A new option allows DVD Player to play its content when minimized to the Dock.

The new toolbar seen in Safari is apparently a new kind of toolbar that is not-collapsible. You can modify the toolbar by hiding and showing items but you can't collapse it using the traditional toolbar widget.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 11:54 AM

The first screenshots!
Thanks! That was a nice overview.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:03 PM

are there any DVD player screen shots?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2004, 01:43 PM

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
.... snip .....
I want to see more dashboards in more apps.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
I want to see more dashboards in more apps.
Me too.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 04:44 PM

Me too.
Do you happen to have the updated dev tools?

Any new controls of note in Interface Builder?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:

Yeah, they finally got the new controls from 10.3 and 10.4 in IB, from what I've heard (haven't gotten to try it myself yet)

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2004, 07:04 PM

Safari is apparently faaaast. Webpages fly up onto the screen. Javascript is, I think, faster than in the WWDC build from what I've seen (can't confirm it since my friend doesn't want to compare his old WWDC build.)

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:

Palettes for:
- NSSegmentedControl
- NSLevelIndicator (see the power status for BlueTooth mice and keyboards for an example. I'll post a screenshot if anyone wants me to.)
- NSDatePicker (Used in the Date & Time prefs to select the time/date.)
- BMiTunesButton (this is in a new palette called "iCal Palette, and is the custom class of the buttons along the bottom of iCal's window.)
- NSTreeController
- NSManagedObjectContext

New Options for Existing Controls:
- Set trucination for NSTextFields and NSButtons (Clip, Character Wrap, Word Wrap, Trucinate Head, Middle, or End)
- Set whether an Aqua window has the "unified title/toolbar look." (Like the System Preferences window.)
- New resizing options for NSTableView columns (None, Uniform, Sequential, Reverse Sequential, First Column, Last Column)

( Last edited by zachs; Oct 28, 2004 at 07:39 PM. )

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 07:33 PM

Safari is apparently faaaast. Webpages fly up onto the screen. Javascript is, I think, faster than in the WWDC build from what I've seen (can't confirm it since my friend doesn't want to compare his old WWDC build.)
Correctomundo!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 07:40 PM

Correctomundo!
So is this 8A268 or 8A269 that you are testing?

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
So is this 8A268 or 8A269 that you are testing?
8A268.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 07:52 PM

sweet zombie jesus. there�s still that progress bar from ancient greece in there. ok ok, now someone is going to say "d00d, what do you expect, this is a prerelease! "

listen: regardless of what you say, it will again be there in the final release. and i will be disappointed for the like what, 3rd time?
gah, how hard can it be to change a few gfx. reed-eek-you-less.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
sweet zombie jesus. there�s still that progress bar from ancient greece in there. ok ok, now someone is going to say "d00d, what do you expect, this is a prerelease! "

listen: regardless of what you say, it will again be there in the final release. and i will be disappointed for the like what, 3rd time?
gah, how hard can it be to change a few gfx. reed-eek-you-less.
I think you're confused...that progress bar is still in use by many apps. Why should it disappear?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 09:01 PM

I think you're confused...that progress bar is still in use by many apps. Why should it disappear?
No he/she was stating that the progress bar still isn't updated with the Jaguar-esque buttons.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
No he/she was stating that the progress bar still isn't updated with the Jaguar-esque buttons.
Oh...problems like that exist everywhere. You'd think Apple could at least make the system-wide widgets look more uniform and consistent but they can't even do that.

Why? I don't know. The Font Book and Address Book are apps with a very similar layout...yet the Font Book team decided it would be funny to not use the same Plus (+) widgets and Action (gear) button as the Address Book. Every app uses protruding brushed metal buttons, but Safari uses receded buttons.

It's almost as if every software app team was locked up and disallowed to talk to any other app team.

This is only ever a big problem in metal apps because there never was any native metal widgets/buttons in 10.2 and 10.3...they always had to be custom made. And almost all of Apple's apps are metal now so it's no wonder none of their apps have a button that looks the same.

At least some apps like the Address Book now use the 'source list' gradient selection...hopefully this is native and public now so 3rd-party apps don't need to hack this stuff in.

Moose
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 09:41 PM

It's almost as if every software app team was locked up and disallowed to talk to any other app team.
If you only knew.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 11:14 PM

Possibly the worst feature about 10.4 is system preferences. I dunno about you, but after all this time using the "Show all" icon, that just looks.. well first off it doesn't look half as nice, second off it isn't rooted on the right side (they should have put the back/forward icons on the RIGHT edge, show all in the same place), etc...
Aloha

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 01:53 AM

Interesting. Might save our helpdesk a few calls, and save me a few minutes walking out to faculty/staff offices.
Screenshots also DO NOT save as PDFs anymore! They are now saved as PNGs. (Big timesaver!)
Rad. I'm sold.

Did I mention that I'm buying Tiger? I bought Jaguar after I was so impressed with 10.1. Now I swear by Panther but I never purchased it. Tiger is getting my $69 (education).
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 03:43 AM

Also, you can now view PDFs in Safari without downloading the plugin.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2004, 05:29 AM

Palettes for:
- NSSegmentedControl
- NSLevelIndicator (see the power status for BlueTooth mice and keyboards for an example. I'll post a screenshot if anyone wants me to.)
- NSDatePicker (Used in the Date & Time prefs to select the time/date.)
- BMiTunesButton (this is in a new palette called "iCal Palette, and is the custom class of the buttons along the bottom of iCal's window.)
- NSTreeController
- NSManagedObjectContext

New Options for Existing Controls:
- Set trucination for NSTextFields and NSButtons (Clip, Character Wrap, Word Wrap, Trucinate Head, Middle, or End)
- Set whether an Aqua window has the "unified title/toolbar look." (Like the System Preferences window.)
- New resizing options for NSTableView columns (None, Uniform, Sequential, Reverse Sequential, First Column, Last Column)

OMG OMG! You know the first option in the toolbar, is that so you can create toolbars on windows in IB only, can I have a screenshot please? If so, my god I have waited so long. Also, can I have screenshots of the iCal Palette please?

Thanks

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 10:28 AM

[/B]
WHY does Apple expect the user to know if they have Quartz Extreme or not before enabling that checkbox? Is it so hard to:
-Check for Quartz Extreme
-If found, allow the toggle for dock playback or not, with no verbage RE QE
-If not found, don't bother the user with an option they're not able to use.

Apple has to think about the interface options from my mom's perspective. She loves her eMac- it keeps her in touch with family, friends, organizes her church documents, and automagically gets pictures of her grandkids for her screen saver. But she couldn't tell you if it had Quartz Extreme or not for a million bucks.

Yeah, it's a little thing. But it's the countless little things that drive me nuts when using Windows.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 29, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
WHY does Apple expect the user to know if they have Quartz Extreme or not before enabling that checkbox? Is it so hard to:
-Check for Quartz Extreme
-If found, allow the toggle for dock playback or not, with no verbage RE QE
-If not found, don't bother the user with an option they're not able to use.

Apple has to think about the interface options from my mom's perspective. She loves her eMac- it keeps her in touch with family, friends, organizes her church documents, and automagically gets pictures of her grandkids for her screen saver. But she couldn't tell you if it had Quartz Extreme or not for a million bucks.

Yeah, it's a little thing. But it's the countless little things that drive me nuts when using Windows.
You're right. Better question why wouldn't you want it on?

they should just make it so if you don't have QE it is grayed out.

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules