Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Colorizing Menu Extras

Colorizing Menu Extras
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 05:48 PM

I started this thread several years ago about colorizing menu extras. Most of the graphics from that old thread are gone. Does anyone want to get involved. So far all I've done is Airport (the simple one) and I did it by modifying the graphics from this site to be transparent and to be a bit brighter.

Download tiffs

I have some other great ideas for other colorations but they involve creating new graphics and not really colorizing the existing graphics. Wouldn't it be great to have the silver iSync icon rotating in the menubar instead of the black and white arrows? I tried creating that one by scaling down the rotating icon from the iSync application but the mask looks all screwed up:

Other ideas I have are using the entire bluetooth logo:

and using that old green battery icon in the dock.

Does anyone want to get involved with these?

zachs
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 02:51 AM

I whipped up a color version of the battery extra a while ago, using the iPod Photo battery meter as a model. So I'll contribute that

Here's a preview:

Download 'em

Fusion
Senior User
Mar 6, 2005, 02:52 AM

I use iColon right now and it works great...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24897

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 03:23 PM

I like this one. Seems like it makes things really, really easy. On top of that, it comes with some free sets.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

waffffffle  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 06:39 PM

Thanks for those links. I'm not too thrilled with the graphics included in the MenuPics application but the tool is certainly useful. It also doesn't include much for some of the menu extras that I use, VPN, iSync, etc.

Does anyone else here have graphics that they've made for this purpose?

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 06:43 AM

I recently picked up a copy of that iColon app but I am not sure whether I want to install it or not. I am a bit leary of apps that include an installer when they don't need to. What are they really installing? Used MenuPics App and that did a superb job of colorizing my Airport icon. Which is what I was looking for. I do agree, however, that hte apps selection of replacement icon sets is slim. Too bad the developer doesn't add a icon package to the app or have it so that one can use his/her own icons. For the life of me, I tried to change the Airport icon using my own .tiff 22x22 icons in place of the default but I could not get them to appear. Had no problem with other icon replacements. Not sure why Airport is giving me a hard time. If anybody does use MenuPics App and also uses ShapeShifter, be sure to go into your ~/Library/Caches/Shapeshifter folder and dump the icon replacement you are changing so that ShapeShifter doens't write over your changes which it will. Peace out Macsters . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Fusion
Senior User
Mar 9, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by TheZee:
I recently picked up a copy of that iColon app but I am not sure whether I want to install it or not. I am a bit leary of apps that include an installer when they don't need to. What are they really installing? Used MenuPics App and that did a superb job of colorizing my Airport icon. Which is what I was looking for. I do agree, however, that hte apps selection of replacement icon sets is slim. Too bad the developer doesn't add a icon package to the app or have it so that one can use his/her own icons. For the life of me, I tried to change the Airport icon using my own .tiff 22x22 icons in place of the default but I could not get them to appear. Had no problem with other icon replacements. Not sure why Airport is giving me a hard time. If anybody does use MenuPics App and also uses ShapeShifter, be sure to go into your ~/Library/Caches/Shapeshifter folder and dump the icon replacement you are changing so that ShapeShifter doens't write over your changes which it will. Peace out Macsters . . .
The reason it includes an installer is simply for ease of use. No-one wants to have to dig deep into directories and replace files. This app was made to be simple for the simpleton, not for complex GUI modders. I can assure you though, the installer works fine and doesn't mess anything up. I have been using iColon since I first heard about it with 0 problems.

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 03:55 PM

Cool my brother. Just needed a little clarification on that and answered my question nicely. Well then, I'll give iColon a try. Hopefully it will enable me to manipulate the Airport menubar icon. Which is one of the things I am looking to colorize first. Thanks again for the heads up. Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Forum Links
Forum Rules