Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > three syslogs? oh, c'mon now!

three syslogs? oh, c'mon now!
Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2009, 12:24 PM

Things were running fine with 10.5.5. Upgraded several days ago to 10.5.6 (and everything else updated per SU) and noticed that both CPUs were hitting 100% every few seconds for a few seconds.

So I did a Upgrade & Preserve User Settings from 10.5 discs with downloaded combo 10.5.6 updater, but the problem persists.

It's intermittent. Sometimes it's only two syslog processes, sometimes only one, but the CPU is pretty damn near pinned.

Yes, I've done the magical incantation to no avail: sudo launchctl stop com.apple.syslogd ; sudo rm -f /var/log/asl.* /var/log/system.log* ; sudo launchctl start com.apple.syslogd

(Back in the day it was only one insane process, not three!) Typing syslog -w 20 doesn't reveal a waterfall of messages, which I expected.

So it seems to me that what I've got here are several syslog processes all competing with each other to do nothing. Anyone got any idea on what's going on, or what I can do about it?
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2009, 12:25 PM

Have you looked at this Mac OS X Hints thread?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...71030233438149

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Since EBCDIC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2009, 05:36 PM

Yes, actually I have. Thanks, though. The strange thing is there don't seem to be any messages being added to the log, whereas most people with this problem see hundreds or thousands of messages from some errant process or another. I have no idea what these three syslog processes are actually doing, other than probably banging each others' foreheads trying to get the log database or something.

My Time Machine settings, which are usually on, have actually been (by accident) turned off since I installed from scratch. So I don't qualify for the most usual circumstances that seem to appear to most folks.

If I don't get any useful hints in the next few hours I'm going to install again to 10.5 and see if the problem persists. Is there a 10.5.5 combo updater, so I can avoid .6?

The help, again, is very appreciated.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 10:00 AM

I wish I knew what the problem was. You may need to return your hardware to the defaults and erase (the drive) and reinstall the OS. If all that doesn't help, you'd be looking at some kind of hardware problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 10:56 AM

Why would this be a hardware problem??

I would first do a tail -f on your log files to see what is actually being logged. Report back to us with your findings. It could be that syslogd is invoking child processes to keep up with the logging it wants to do. The fix is to get it to stop logging whatever it is logging, there is no sense in trying to work around the real problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules