Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got a Slightly damaged Powerbook

Got a Slightly damaged Powerbook
ampa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 03:21 PM

so, my brother got a new powerbook August, then he when to college. And it fell off his bed, landing on the front right corner. It only got slight damage, but i have noticed some odd things it does.
Such as:

1. The screen sometimes dims slightly, just a little. I don't mean when you take out the power cable.
2. The disk drive (which they said was toast) makes funny sounds, and is a little slow.
3. The Delete key sticks.

I am sure that at least 2 and 3 are because of the drop. So if there are any fix or any ideas on what is wrong please feel to post away.

Thanks Kenneth

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2009, 03:33 PM

Sounds like number one is due to the ambient light sensor dimming the screen - perfectly normal. It frustrated me so I turned it off.

What funny sounds does the optical drive make? They do make odd sounds compared to tray loading drives.

Are you sure the delete key is fully clipped to the scissor mechanism? Otherwise there might be a crumb or something lodged under it.

Also - are you sure this is a PowerBook and not a MacBook Pro? Seems weird to buy a new PowerBook in 2008.

ampa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 07:18 PM

Cool thanks 1 and 3 are fixed. thanks
as for number 2 it takes a full minute or 2 recognize the cd or dvd, while it tries to recognize it make many beeping sounds, as well as if the lap top is moved then it makes a grinding scratching sound. almost as if the cd is not sitting right.
is there a way I can get an external drive, and if i do will i be able to burn cd and dvds with it?

BTW it is a MacBook Pro, man it makes me feel old that I still think of it as a Powerbook.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2009, 07:34 PM

Yes, you can get an external DVD drive, at will function for burning.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2009, 07:38 PM

Slot loading drives don't like to be moved while they're running and will make grinding sounds and possibly damage the disc.

As for the noises, sound normal. My MBP took about 45 secs to load a slightly scratched DVD+R of Windows 7, normal DVDs and CDRs took slightly less time.

ampa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 07:46 PM

how does windows 7 run on your MBP I have it DLed and was looking to install it?

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help

Cold Warrior
Jan 25, 2009, 07:51 PM

It runs very well on my MBP C2D, 2.16 GHz, 3GB RAM.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2009, 07:51 PM

I haven't put it on yet, waiting on my new 500GB HDD.

I have it running as my main OS at work - it's quite nice.

ampa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 08:02 PM

Cool all i need now is my boot disks and boot camp disk. My Bother still has all those.

Forum Links
Forum Rules